Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Romanian Driver

Options
  • 03-07-2006 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

A Romanian friend of my is looking at getting a car to drive around. He's 36 years old and has a full Romanian License with 18 years experience. Trouble is that it appears that the insurance companies will not recognise his license and will only insure him as a first time provisional. OK, bearing this in mind would anyone know what his best approach here is? It's not like the man cannot drive, he holds a B, C and E class license in Romania! But nothing is recognised here - it seems a little disappointing to be reduced to a Provisional again. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If he is 36 years of age I don't think it would make that much difference whether he is on a provisional or full licence. The main cost burden would be the lack of a NCB as they cannot usually be transferred between countries. If his licence was recognised, he would probably be paying almost as much as he is now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Romania isn't (yet?) part of the EU, so I'm afraid he has to start from scratch, licence wise.

It IS possible to transfer NCB's from 'abroad' ... I've done it, although it depends on the insurance company and what kind of mood they're in. A nicely written letter in English from your insurance company will help here. Sometimes it helps to go to a broker who'll do all the donkey work for you. Frank Glennon sorted it out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tell him to hold on to his Romanian license. Iirc, Romania is still on course to join the EU per 01/01/2007. In that case he can swap his license for a full Irish one immediately next year
    If he is 36 years of age I don't think it would make that much difference whether he is on a provisional or full licence

Perhaps not on a small engined car. Provisional / full will have a big impact on bigger engined cars to the extent that insurance just won't insure a provisional license holder on the latter
    the lack of a NCB as they cannot usually be transferred between countries

Yes they can, within the EU anyway, but it does get messy. One of the things required is an original Romanian NCB cert plus an "official" translation into English

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If he needs an official translation, there's a company in Galway who should be able to cover it. They're based in Oranmore, but for the life of me I can't think of the company name (my g/f does some work for them - she's a qualified Polish-English-Polish interpreter/translator).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I managed with just a letter on official headed notepaper from the insurance company (in Holland). Like I said, initially many insurance companies were a bit reticent, but I just left it with the broker and he managed to cajole Eagle Star into accepting my NCB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@Alun, I didn't refresh to see your first post in this thread before posting myself. Sorry for some duplication
    Alun wrote:
    I managed with just a letter on official headed notepaper from the insurance company (in Holland). Like I said, initially many insurance companies were a bit reticent, but I just left it with the broker and he managed to cajole Eagle Star into accepting my NCB.

Funny you mention that. I've witnessed several people with dutch NCBs going through the process and they all had to have certified translations (by official translation companies). I reckon Glennons indeed helped you out a lot there. I'm insured through Glennons myself BTW :D

Anyone know for certain Romania are joining the EU per 01/01/2007? I've seen some conflicting info on the web

Advertisement