Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cybersquatting - can anything be done?

Options
  • 03-07-2006 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

I'm setting up a business and am currently trying to find a name where all domains are available. I've got a name I'm very keen on, but the .com is taken, and just brings me to the usual page with related pages/sponsored links etc.

Is there anything I can do? Or is the only way to get it by paying the person who owns it an incredibally inflated price? Likely to be more than 20000%+ more than it is to from a proper seller, it's something which I'd find hard to do as a matter of principle.

Regards,
    Jonathan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

There is an arbitration procedure for .com addresses but if I remember correctly it's very weak and favours large companies. Some large companies end up filing law suits to resolve cybersquatting for specific domains. I don't think you stand any chance of getting the domain turned over to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Can apply for abritation under the Uniform Domainname dispute resolution policy:
    http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/
    Costs $1,500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

Well now that is ironic. I'm trying to avoid paying an over the top price for a domain, and have to pay $1,500 to try and get it back?

It would probably be cheaper to pay the guy who owns it. Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Have you checked the name under .eu domain?

Advertisement