Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever been to Borussia Dortmund?

• 03-07-2006 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Half travel/half footy question.

Spurs play Dortmund early August and I'm tempted to travel over, only I've no idea where's the best place to fly to. Cologne and Dusseldorf look close enough, but has anyone been before who can give me some advice?

Ta.

p.s. posting similar in the travel forum if a mod wants to dump this, but I'd appreciate it if it was left here as well. Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Half travel/half footy question.

Spurs play Dortmund early August and I'm tempted to travel over, only I've no idea where's the best place to fly to. Cologne and Dusseldorf look close enough, but has anyone been before who can give me some advice?

Ta.

p.s. posting similar in the travel forum if a mod wants to dump this, but I'd appreciate it if it was left here as well. Ta.

Never been to Dortmund but in terms of flights your best bet is probably Dublin-Dusseldorf with Aer Lingus. You can catch a train from the airport train station from there to dusseldorf. They go regularly enough.

You can also fly with germanwings from Dublin to Cologne/Bonn but that's another 45 minutes away and I've never found germanwings' prices to be able to compete with Aer Lingus. You can try though, you get the very odd bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Priced both already, EI the cheaper option and they fly the days I want. 160 yo-yos all in which ain't bad, two nights in Dortmund on the tear sounds nice, plus our last pre-season friendly before the season starts (I think)

Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Seen them play Borussia Munc.. munchen...the gladback ones in the mid 90s.

Stadium was a kip but that has changed, i drove from Frankfurt but had the option of train. Best bet would be to fly Cologne (maybe even Frankfurt as the train system is superb) and get the train down, it will leave you near the heart of the city with the stadium not to far to travel too. Get a hotel in Dortmund but seriously dont wear a jersey its an old industrial city and fairly rough.

Train station is called Hauptbahnhof, it has an airport but doubt any irish or english carriers fly there and for the match assume the flights will be insanely overpriced.

If you get a chance check out where all the Autobahns meet sweet jesus its the most amazing peice of roadwork ever constructed.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Only direct flight to Cologne means I'd have to take a day off work (and I have f*ck all chance of any time off in August) cos there's no Friday flight. Leaving Friday evening and coming back Sunday evening with EI to Dusseldorf sounds about right.

Grounds been rebuilt for the WC, 60,000 capacity (and you'll see it tomorrow evening for the Germany-Italy SF)

Thanks again.

Priced both already, EI the cheaper option and they fly the days I want. 160 yo-yos all in which ain't bad, two nights in Dortmund on the tear sounds nice, plus our last pre-season friendly before the season starts (I think)

Ta.

€160 isn't too bad, I just flew back from Dublin today to Dusseldorf for €150 return. However I booked it a good bit in advance because the price kept going up and checked it again 2 weeks after I booked and it was €100 return for the same dates. I've been back and forth all year between Dusseldorf and Dublin and was always able to get €80 return for the entire year but unfortunately they stopped doing those cheap flights for June, July and August.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

O

Grounds been rebuilt for the WC, 60,000 capacity

82000 now or thereabouts biggest in Germany afaik....

/runs off the Wc wiki

Says 67000 on main Wiki but 82 on Dortmund wiki :confused: Meant to be 82 when touted few years ago.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    82000 now or thereabouts biggest in Germany afaik....

/runs off the Wc wiki

kdjac

That's only when standing is allowed inside the ground, which it is for Bundesliga games. It's only about 60'000 for the world cup as it's all seated. Placing it behind the stadium in Berlin as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Lads I know went to Dortmund as part of their trek around Germany for the WC and said it was actually dead nice. Having said that I'm sure they have plenty extra on during the WC as opposed to a random August night.

Still though, anywhere in Germany is great craic seeing as you can get anywhere in the city no problem, bars stay open late, beer is cheap and in most cases the women far excel our own indigenous species.

Advertisement