Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayan Calendar

Options
  • 03-07-2006 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭

I came across this and thought some people on here might be interested. It's all about the Mayan calendar (you know huge change 2012 etc) and an attempt to get people to change over to a 13 month calendar to align more closely with Earth energies and make the changeover benign.

Anyway I found it interesting so here's a couple of links. This one has a perpetual 13 month calendar at the bottom - July 26th is the new year!
    http://www.tortuga.com/eng/index.php

More information on Mayan Tzolkin calendar and you can also find out your specific Mayan signature based on your date of birth
    http://www.galactichardwarestore.com/index.htm

Anyway enjoy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Moved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

Hi, all very interesting. Got this on wiki:
    Benefits
    * The calendar is perpetual. It never changes from year to year.
    * Each month, and each week, begins on a Monday and ends on a Sunday
    * Because a date in one year will occur on the same weekday in all years to come, business, government, educational institutions and other similar organizations would be able to schedule once and rely on the same dates in future years.
    * Weekdays are tied to specific days of the month every month, every year.
    * Four equal business quarters of 91 days/13 weeks
    * Does not ignore "off-calendar" days as other proposals do. All days are accounted for in leap years.

It does seem to be beneficial. New Years Day would be in the summer though! and we wouldn't need the "30 days hath september" rhyme anymore.

I really like the idea of the "day out of time" - what a cool thing to have.

It seems a bit too efficient to me though and I'd imagine to implement this would be chaos considering it took the gregorian calendar 200 years to be accepted by all the western countries. I'd say if this ever did happen we'd be brainwashed by Microsoft to spend 200 euro on "new calender safe" software for our pc's :rolleyes:

Oh and just imagine the calendar business wouldnt be too happy either

Advertisement