Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does your dial up cost?

• 04-07-2006 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

I know this isn't the right area to place this topic but i'm new to this forum... like the heading says.. how much is your dial-up?? Mine costs me 120 euro per month.. which is a joke.. i would have got Broadband years ago if they had it in my area... IBB have a bad rep but at least they will give it to me plus its cheaper than my dial up

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

120 euro a month!? Thats shocking. :eek:

edit: I forgot about flat rate, you must be online a fair bit. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Dean820 wrote:
    I know this isn't the right area to place this topic but i'm new to this forum... like the heading says.. how much is your dial-up?? Mine costs me 120 euro per month.. which is a joke.. i would have got Broadband years ago if they had it in my area...
    You know that eircom will sell you 150 hours a month of dial-up for 30 euro a month? That's 5 hours a day. Or you can get 180 hours from BT for 27 euro. That's 6 hours a day. Even if you need to be online for 11 hours a day, you can get both packages for half what your paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

im on eircoms isdn with 150hrs a month and it costs me €40 hard to believe its costing you €120
    are you including line rental and your telephone bill or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I have a pay as you go thing.. its like 2 cent per minute i think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

Dean820 wrote:
    I have a pay as you go thing.. its like 2 cent per minute i think...
    Thats Maaaaaaad!!!! I pay €25 a month with UTV for 150 hours, which gives me about 5 hours a day (and i'd never be on for that long everyday!)

• Advertisement

I feel terrible now.. i thought everyone with dial-up are paying around a similar price..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dean820 wrote:
    I feel terrible now.. i thought everyone with dial-up are paying around a similar price..

Nope, you'l find most people who use dialup any bit more then a few hours a month will have gotten themselfs a "flat rate" account.
    You really should do the same now that you know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Dean820 wrote:
    Don't.
    I averaging about the same, €120 a month for ISDN. I'm with eircom anytime 150. It adds up when you have to go onto two lines for downloading or uploading stuff. I'm not really downloading that much. And, it isn't TV shows or movies that I'm downloading. You can forget about that on dial-up.

That does include line rental, but I only using my phoneline for the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭niallb

Foxwood wrote:
    Even if you need to be online for 11 hours a day, you can get both packages for half what your paying.

They won't sell you both - none of the providers will sell you two packages.
    Once you go over the 150 hours or 180 hours, it starts to get expensive really fast.

My UTV bill varies between 70 and 200 for internet access,
    depending on how much of the month I'm working from home.

Current bill:
    During May 2006 you spent 251 hours 38 minutes on UTVip XL
    led to call charges of €137.66.
    First 180 hours for an additional 24.95 and then 71 hours at just over €2/hr peak rate, or about 70¢/hour off peak.
    In addition to this I pay a seperate bill to Eircorn for ISDN line rental of about €37 every month.
    That added up to just under €200 last month.
    The bill also contained 44 non internet calls for a total of €23.94

Sound a lot? It's just over 8 hours a day.
    I'd be happy with 64k DSL. My line would probably sync at 128k if anyone was offering. I don't use bandwidth, I just need a constant connection while I'm working. There's no 3G around here, and no vodafone coverage at all,
    so I can't even take up the new offers for 3G broadband. Wifi, there is some, but I'm in a heavily wooded valley! I couldn't have picked better if I'd tried.

Gaah,
    NiallB

Yeah, dial-up is way to slow for downloading films and movies.. it would probably take me a month to download a film.. lmao

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'm using Esat BT Clear Surf NoLimits dial-up [I live in the countryside]. For 24 Euroes a month, I got unlimited access during off-peak times and Weekends, as well as public holidays.

Best option I can do atm, til the [hopefully] eventual rollout of BB in my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

WoW Dial-up whats that like? LOL

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ricey wrote:
    WoW Dial-up whats that like? LOL

Painful!!
    I had to use it at the weekend for on-line banking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

He was referring to World of WarCraft b]WoW[/b :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

niallb wrote:
    They won't sell you both - none of the providers will sell you two packages.
    NiallB

Isn't it possible to get a package each from both providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Isn't it possible to get a package each from both providers.
    Not on the same line.

BeerWolf wrote:
    He was referring to World of WarCraft b]WoW[/b :p

sorry was half sleep, I don't play WoW myself but friend of mine tells me its do-able...just about....not great though

SkepticOne wrote:
    Not on the same line.
    Why not? The UTV package requires you to use UTV for your calls, as far as I know, but the eircom package and the BT package don't have any such restrictions, to the best of my knowledge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not on the same line like the Man said

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Not on the same line like the Man said
    Did you miss the "Why not?" in my post?

Is there some sort of restriction imposed by eircom at the network level? It's so long since this service was made available that I've forgotten the implementation details, but I don't remember there being any question of physical setup at the exchange, as there is with DSL, that would limit your line to a specific "FRIACO" provider.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I am with BT Ireland 180hrs a month for €26.99.

I am sure I go over the 180hrs a month, but they dont seem to care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭niallb

jrey1981 wrote:
    I am with BT Ireland 180hrs a month for €26.99.

I am sure I go over the 180hrs a month, but they dont seem to care.

I'm sure they don't. Bet they bill you though!

NiallB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Mine is FREE :) cos my phone operator doesnt know the local number i use is an ISP so with the free local calls its free :D

Advertisement