Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

site critique....

Options
  • 04-07-2006 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As with many sites I've built, I'm looking for a bit of feedback. You know when you look at something for so long, you don't know if you like it anymore or it could be better or you've just missed some bits. Any feedback, suggestions, comments are fully welcome. Just looking for a general critique of this site that I have just launched for a client.

It's only phase 1 launched at the moment with more being added this month so I know 1 or 2 things aren't 100% ready yet.

http://www.raymondpotterton.com

Much appreciated,

Rgds,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Wow, thats impressive.

Thumbs up from me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Whats the significance of 400,000 in the search??

Maybe a filler picture for Compulsory Acquisitions?

And less so but perhaps a picture for My Alerts?

Other than that very nice site, seamlessly put together, hope you got well paid for that one! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Whats the significance of 400,000 in the search??

Maybe a filler picture for Compulsory Acquisitions?

And less so but perhaps a picture for My Alerts?

Other than that very nice site, seamlessly put together, hope you got well paid for that one! ;)
    There isn't that many properties on the site compared to say daft or myhome so a medium price range was selected for searching, e.g. above or below 400,000.

Picture will be added to the compulsory acquisitions page. Hadn't considered one for the My Alerts page. Maybe a screenshot of outlook or something!! Thx.

I get well paid for all the work I do :D

thx for the feedback so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

For me the menus on the homepage appear under the flash object. AFAIK this is a known problem, though I'm sure there are workarounds.

It's not a problem on other pages e.g. http://www.raymondpotterton.com/v2/services-proservices.asp, as they use images.

I like the tooltips in the Our Team page.

On the Mortgages page, could the text displayed when you click on a menu item (About Us, Quick Quote etc) use the whole area on the right, instead of a relatively small area? This would deastically reduce the amount of vertical scrolling required.
    If the text area had less transparency (reduce the opacity of banner-mortgage-bottom.jpg) it would be more readable.

All-in-all, it is a very well polished web site. It certainly gives me a good first impression of the company.

DJB wrote:
    Hadn't considered one for the My Alerts page. Maybe a screenshot of outlook or something!!
    How about a screenshot of an alert email.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote:
    For me the menus on the homepage appear under the flash object. AFAIK this is a known problem, though I'm sure there are workarounds.

It's not a problem on other pages e.g. http://www.raymondpotterton.com/v2/services-proservices.asp, as they use images.

I like the tooltips in the Our Team page.

On the Mortgages page, could the text displayed when you click on a menu item (About Us, Quick Quote etc) use the whole area on the right, instead of a relatively small area? This would deastically reduce the amount of vertical scrolling required.
    If the text area had less transparency (reduce the opacity of banner-mortgage-bottom.jpg) it would be more readable.

All-in-all, it is a very well polished web site. It certainly gives me a good first impression of the company.

Can you tell me what browser and version you are using that the menu is displaying under the flash? I thought I had fixed this and tested on major browsers. It was a z-order thing and it works fine in IE6/7, FF1.5, Opera, etc.

The Our Team page is my favourite page to tell you the truth. :)

Mortgages page... the client wanted it like this. It's been signed off so don't want to go back and change it now. You know how it is!!!
    daymobrew wrote:
    How about a screenshot of an alert email.

That's what I was thinking myself. Was considering having a screenshot of Outlook at an angle with the preview pane showing the alert email. Have to build the alert email first :)

Thanks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

The 'Our Team' page is gas, they're a med bunch altogether Ted! :D
    Nice site though, me likey.

DJB wrote:
    Can you tell me what browser and version you are using that the menu is displaying under the flash? I thought I had fixed this and tested on major browsers. It was a z-order thing and it works fine in IE6/7, FF1.5, Opera, etc.
    FF1.5.0.3 on Solaris sparc with Flash 7.0.63.0. It works okay on the OSX/Firefox (don't know versions).
    Screenshot attached. At least I can use the Site Map to navigate.
    DJB wrote:
    Mortgages page... the client wanted it like this. It's been signed off so don't want to go back and change it now. You know how it is!!!
    :( I also found the EBS branding strange - I kept expecting to be redirected to the EBS site. It could give the impression that EBS is the only mortgage supllier dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Thumbs up from me too .. nice, well laid out, simple but with style. Others will probably bitch about the use of Flash!

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

lovely site, the use of flash is perfect imo. Nice and simple. It gets a icon14.gif from me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Excellent Site!, well done. I bet you getting a nice sum for that!

Webmonkey wrote:
    Excellent Site!, well done. I bet you getting a nice sum for that!
    :D:D:D - Now that'd be telling!!!

I'm not mad on the use of flash on sites. I never use it on splash pages (or use splash pages either) but I think the use of it in the banner on home page works well. Viewing the property photos on the details pages in flash works well too IMO compared to many large/small property sites that use popups and stuff.

Can I ask ppl's opinion of the Google Map on the detail page. I know this feature works much better in populated areas such as Dublin, Cork, etc but the main location of property sale for this company is Navan and the map of Navan isn't bad. Could be a bit more up to date but hopefully Google will update their map of Ireland soon enough. :)

Thanks again for feedback so far...

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

nice i have to say. the use of flash ...??? but the rest is very aattractive.
    You have a lot of js files. Do you need that many on every page?

DJB wrote:
    Can I ask ppl's opinion of the Google Map on the detail page.
    I think it works well - it is good to see the location of the property in relation to the town and other properties.

Aside: the menu going under the flash movie on the homepage does not occur on my XP box with FF1.5.0.4. Might just be a FF/Solairis thing.

Advertisement