Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

second phone line?

• 04-07-2006 8:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have an idea if eircom are still splitting pairs etc to install a second line? i want to have second line put in so the brother is no longerrunning up bills on my phone but i dont want eircom messing up t'ould broadband connection. Also ca ye bill the second line to another customer? no point having a line put in if im still paying for it :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It probably depends on the location and it would be extraordinarily unlikely that they would split a line with broadband. I had a couple of phone lines and none were split.

Having said all that, it would be smarter to get a VoIP "line" instead. A lot cheaper. Freespeech.ie or Blueface.ie are popular. The former is cheaper I believe and the latter does a good deal on equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

yep, they are cheaper but what i want is complete seperation of me and my broadband/phone from my bro and his obssesive international calling ways. i couldnt care less what he does broadband/voip/phone wise once its not on my bill on does not affect my line :mad:

In the meantime, ask him to use Telestunt. Local call rates to most international landlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

Not too sure what splitting pairs is...
    but i got a 2nd line installed, as it was been installed i enquired about how this was possible with just a single line coming in the house, he informed that it was possible for 2 lines on a single wire coming into the house, i also informed him that i would be most expecting to run 2 bb connection on the 2 lines, he said that this was no problem.....

cramp

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bambi wrote:
    yep, they are cheaper but what i want is complete seperation of me and my broadband/phone from my bro and his obssesive international calling ways. i couldnt care less what he does broadband/voip/phone wise once its not on my bill on does not affect my line :mad:

Well if you go the voip route then he'd be using your broadband connection for voip but he'd be getting billed for the calls, it would work fine as long as you didn't do any heavy downloading while he was making calls.

Would cost about 70-100e to buy the hardware so he could use a normal phone (other option if using the PC which I assume you don't want), you could set it all up in about a week.

I would advise testing before buying the hardware first though,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

cramp wrote:
    but i got a 2nd line installed, as it was been installed i enquired about how this was possible with just a single line coming in the house, he informed that it was possible for 2 lines on a single wire coming into the house, i also informed him that i would be most expecting to run 2 bb connection on the 2 lines, he said that this was no problem.....

Have you tried to get BB on these lines?

Cabaal wrote:
    Well if you go the voip route then he'd be using your broadband connection for voip but he'd be getting billed for the calls, it would work fine as long as you didn't do any heavy downloading while he was making calls.

Would cost about 70-100e to buy the hardware so he could use a normal phone (other option if using the PC which I assume you don't want), you could set it all up in about a week.

I would advise testing before buying the hardware first though,

Im not sure it would work, im connecting out through an old usb dsl modem hooked up to a PC that shares that connection out to a few other pc's so any voip phone would have to be clever/configurable enough to deal with that set up instead of just being plugged straight into a router. Not up to speed on VOIP technology so im not sure if they are

Add to that the fecker is ringing spain which doesnt seem to be a destination for those cheap call numbers :confused:

thanks all btw

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

paulm17781 wrote:
    Have you tried to get BB on these lines?
    Well all i can say that it certainly worked when i tried both the lines individually, i didn't try them simultaneously , as i installed the 2nd line to beat this 2-8 week delay on canceling bb from eircom and going with Magnet, i had both BB lines live for 2 days only, then i cancelled the BB from eircom!

cramp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 murrayj

Bambi wrote:
    Anyone have an idea if eircom are still splitting pairs etc to install a second line? i want to have second line put in so the brother is no longerrunning up bills on my phone but i dont want eircom messing up t'ould broadband connection. Also ca ye bill the second line to another customer? no point having a line put in if im still paying for it :(

Most houses built in the last 30 years or so generally have 2 lines running into them. However, they aren't both connected back all the way to the exchange. When you apply for the second line eircom will patch your second cable through to the exchange. I have lived in shared houses in the past and never had any problem getting a second line.

Shouldnt be any problem with the second bill - each line will be treated separately.

It's physically impossible to split a line that has Broadband on it. The line splitters use the same frequency spectrum as Broadband, which is why you can't have Broadband on a split line.

Bambi wrote:
    Im not sure it would work, im connecting out through an old usb dsl modem hooked up to a PC that shares that connection out to a few other pc's so any voip phone would have to be clever/configurable enough to deal with that set up instead of just being plugged straight into a router. Not up to speed on VOIP technology so im not sure if they are

Add to that the fecker is ringing spain which doesnt seem to be a destination for those cheap call numbers :confused:

thanks all btw

If those other PC's are connected with ethernet, then a VoIP device would work as well.

If he has his own PC, all he needs is a headset and he can make very cheap phone calls either with a VoIP provider or Skype. Spain is like 1.5c a minute with most of those guys. Even smarter would be to get the other party to use Skype as well. Then it's all free.

Alternatively, use Telestunt as your CPS provider and calls to Spain are 0.5c a minute: http://www.call13434.ie. Requires no hardware and the calls are cheaper than VoIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Bambi wrote:
    I talked to a friend in Spain for 15 minutes today using VoIPStunt (300 minutes of free calls per week, as long as your account is in Credit. Calls to Spanish landlines are free). For phone-to-phone calls they're pretty cheap too (amazingly cheap, actually), see the link Blaster99 provided.

Blaster99 wrote:
    If those other PC's are connected with ethernet, then a VoIP device would work as well.

If he has his own PC, all he needs is a headset and he can make very cheap phone calls either with a VoIP provider or Skype. Spain is like 1.5c a minute with most of those guys. Even smarter would be to get the other party to use Skype as well. Then it's all free.

Alternatively, use Telestunt as your CPS provider and calls to Spain are 0.5c a minute: http://www.call13434.ie. Requires no hardware and the calls are cheaper than VoIP.

Thanks you folks. Your ideas intrigue me and, as both parties involved in these calls are technological troglodyte's, cutting any pc involvement out is very tempting, however this brother is an inveterate waster to whom credit cards and direct debits are things of mystery and danger, i might prod him down the voip route if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

cramp wrote:

Its not a single wire as such.. the minimum spec wire eircom use for a house is two pair orange white and black green.. so you have two pairs of wires ..in a single cable:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Bambi wrote:

Sorry meant to say on previous reply that once you have a broadband connection they will never split your line.. Be warned though that if some one up the road from you needs a number and you dont have broadband they will certainly install a carrier unit which is acuaally a dsl (digital subscriber line) not adsl this is kinda like an isdn line in so far as one line two numbers .. but in the case of a carrier unit they can take up to ten or more analogue numbers of it:)

Advertisement