Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ground cover plants

Options
  • 04-07-2006 8:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

i am wondering can anyone recommended a variety of ground cover plants which work well on steep banks. Also when would be the best time to plant such plants ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Where is the bank located?
    If it is not too close to a house you can plant it with mixture of native whips.
    Think back to when you last drove on a motorway with steep backs at the sides, it more than likely was planted with native or naturalised whips.
    Ash, beech, mountain ash, hazel etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 clivequinn

The perimeter of the site is fencing.
    Now my plan is to surround the perimeter with beech hedging.
    Now the banks i am talking about slope down to the bottom of the fence in some parts of the site - the slope is at approx 60 degree angle. I need to plant some sort of shrubs/ground cover plants which will involve little maintenance plus will also make the banks more sturdy. I also have to take into consideration the fact that i dont want to hamper the view from other people's houses.

Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

If height is an issue try Cotoneaster horizontalis, Cotoneaster dammerii or Vinca major "Variegata".
    These are all sub 1mtr.
    Once bought in containers, they can be planted at any time provided the soil is not frozen or water-logged.
    Be warned, do not expect these plants to suppress weeds instantly.
    You will have to keep the weeds at bay for a few seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 clivequinn

brilliant - thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

For more colour and interest you might try Berberis (prickly leaves no favoured by rabbits, several varieties to choose eg b-darwinii) grow < 1 m H. Also a number of the compact Hebe's : Black Beauty (Green Purple foliage), H-Champion, H-Tricolour (fab 3 colours wine,yellow green).

Viburnum Davidii is a very easy to grow ground covering shrub.

Nearer the crest why not consider heathers/pachysandra, very ornamental but stunning in large drifts and supplemented with some dwarf native trees such as Sorbus Acuparia (Autumn Spire).

• Advertisement
Advertisement