Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Fenton Fans?

• 04-07-2006 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

So Ian Dempsey has gone on hols for the week and Today FM have, in their wisdom, replaced him with Tonnnneeeeyyyyyyy FENTON. FFS. Isn't there anyone better at the station? Tom Dunne, Alison Curtis, ANYONE? But it makes me think - they are a big radio station, obviously doing ok, so maybe they know what they are doing? Maybe it's just me?

so, do me a favour and let me know if you like Tony or not. I can't stand him, and the car is quiet on the way in to work, because I'd rather listen to nothing than listen to him. I'm no huge fan of Ian Dempsey, but when he goes away you realise just how bad the other stations are - in particular, 98FM, FM 104 and those guys on Spin are about as funny as a bowel prolapse.

tbh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

he's a kind of a legend the same tony fenton, but have to admit, he's definately more suited to the lunchtime slot. Iano is very refreshing in the mornings but the TF is a bit too much of a full on deejay....

Ray Foley is in for Ian for the next two weeks after Fenton.. He'll be decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

he's a kind of a legend the same tony fenton, but have to admit, he's definately more suited to the lunchtime slot. Iano is very refreshing in the mornings but the TF is a bit too much of a full on deejay....

Ray Foley is in for Ian for the next two weeks after Fenton.. He'll be decent.
    yeah I agree with you there. Foley is a better fit alright. I can appreciate TF in an ironic sense, it's a bit much in the morning tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Yeah fenton is a bit too much in your face, for that early morning slot. While he's a bit of an annoying git, he's much better suited to the lunchtime show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

OK, so the options at the minute now are Fenton or Whelan on the national music stations.

<Shivers>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I used to hate Fenton, but am indifferent now. Tom Dunne used to fill in for Ian "cant get to the point" Dempsey.

Ray Foley is extremely irritating, in particular when he "sings".

• Advertisement

I used to hate Fenton, but am indifferent now. Tom Dunne used to fill in for Ian "cant get to the point" Dempsey.

Ray Foley is extremely irritating, in particular when he "sings".

Thats so true about Ian - he does tend to ramble on, he has a habit of saying "at this stage" and he never calls a song by it's name, always the line of the song that contains the name - eg "That was meatloaf, with like a bat out of hell.....I'll be gone when the mornin' comes"

it drives me mad! but he's otherwise inoffensive.

tbh wrote:
    Thats so true about Ian - he does tend to ramble on, he has a habit of saying "at this stage" and he never calls a song by it's name, always the line of the song that contains the name - eg "That was meatloaf, with like a bat out of hell.....I'll be gone when the mornin' comes"

it drives me mad! but he's otherwise inoffensive.

Ian Dempsey is a down to earth decent guy, who just talks the way he thinks.. a real people person and it comes accross perfectly on air. he is an excellent broadcaster in my opinion. a personality presenter rather than an announcer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

tbh wrote:
    in particular, 98FM, FM 104 and those guys on Spin are about as funny as a bowel prolapse.

tbh

Fair enough, you don't like the Strawberry Alarm Clock and that's your own opinion, but they are in a different LEAGUE to the muppets on 98 and Spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I've only realised how annoying Fenton is the last few mornings. He does my head in the way he keeps saying "Good Morning", it's annoying hear him say it once but he says it every 30 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I like Tony Fenton, his voice is cool... but mornings?? no... just get foley to fill in! But this week he's filling in for D'arcy so i guess they dont have Ian or Ray Foley so they'll just pop Fenton in, its only one weeks too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I like him.. Ian gets annoying after a while.. he talks some utter crap and makes jokes no one laughs at even his own team. Ray foley is grand.. Tom Dunne is excellent at any time as is ray darcy.
    Alison Curtis i like but she always sounds like she is reading a script.. i think its just the way she speaks (nothing to do with her accent!) but it can get on some peoples nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Thats so true Depmsey is forever laughing at his own crap jokes. Tony Fenton belongs to the Smashey & Nicey school of radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

mickd wrote:
    Thats so true Depmsey is forever laughing at his own crap jokes. Tony Fenton belongs to the Smashey & Nicey school of radio

So true, fake Foney Fentony with his mid-atlantic drawl sounds like a DJ from WPLJ or Z100 new york!

in his dreams!

:o meant to type "thinks he sounds like...."

Hmmmm....Name: "big tone"
    frequents: fenton thread............
    comments: "said fenton sounded american, claims this was a mistake"

YOU ARE TONY FENTON AND I CLAIM MY HARLEY-DAVIDSON "HOG"

:D

"Yoooure the Winneeeeeeeeeer".......... eh no youre not, fortunately I am not the silver tongued irish/american/mid-atlantican lothario you speak of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Longford Lad

Oh I hate this fool ......
    Listen to him the next time he play Aretha Franklin ....guarantee he call her "The Queen of Soul".... or Paul Weller as "The Modfather"..... we used to text him from work asking for him to "play something by the modfather ...Paul Weller "
    Or he proceeds to tell the world that he was sitting in on his "toblerone" last night watching a DVD .....

He's straight out of a Harry Enfield sketch ......grooooovy tony !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Yea Tony is interesting one alright..
    Is is me or does anybody else notice how much he plays The New Radicals "you only get what you give" or words to that effect ALOT, particularly as his first song to introduce the show? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Baby4 wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

I agree with this person 100%!!!

(and I'd be of the opinion that Gerry Ryan should be publicly eviscerated... twice... for his dis-service to Irish radio)
    miketv wrote:
    Is is me or does anybody else notice how much he plays The New Radicals "you only get what you give" or words to that effect ALOT, particularly as his first song to introduce the show?

It's not just you! That has to be the most (undeservedly) over-played one-hit-wonder EVER! ... with Tony Feckin Fenton responsible for at least 50%* of that ridiculous amount of airtime!

*: Statistic may be made up.

Fenton is more past his sell-by date than Larry Gogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Oh I hate this fool ......
    Listen to him the next time he play Aretha Franklin ....guarantee he call her "The Queen of Soul".... or Paul Weller as "The Modfather"..... we used to text him from work asking for him to "play something by the modfather ...Paul Weller "
    Or he proceeds to tell the world that he was sitting in on his "toblerone" last night watching a DVD .....

He's straight out of a Harry Enfield sketch ......grooooovy tony !!!

Haha, you have him nailed with the harry enfield sketch, he belongs there lol not on the radio. And I hate the catch phrase when hes talking to a caller "So you cycled home from work today? Excellent Stuff".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Hope you're all in tip-top form today

08:49, time to get out of the 'scratcher'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

miketv wrote:
    Yea Tony is interesting one alright..
    Is is me or does anybody else notice how much he plays The New Radicals "you only get what you give" or words to that effect ALOT, particularly as his first song to introduce the show? :rolleyes:

I noticed that too, also that r n b muck 'got me looking so crazy now'.

Then later in the show, theres always a motown classic.

Bard wrote:
    I agree with this person 100%!!!

(and I'd be of the opinion that Gerry Ryan should be publicly eviscerated... twice... for his dis-service to Irish radio)

It's not just you! That has to be the most (undeservedly) over-played one-hit-wonder EVER! ... with Tony Feckin Fenton responsible for at least 50%* of that ridiculous amount of airtime!

*: Statistic may be made up.

Fenton is more past his sell-by date than Larry Gogan.

I remember when that song came out, TF did an interview with Greg Alexander. There's a line in the song that goes something like
    "Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson
    You're all fakes
    Run to your mansions
    Come around
    We'll kick your ass in! "

TF was like a dog with a frisbee with that line, kept asking Greg Alexander what he meant and why he said it in that "we're all lads here" kind of way. GA was saying "it's just a line". it was pretty funny.

What surprises me right now is that the domain name TonyFenton.COM is available for purchase...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭TiwstaSista

Bard wrote:
    What surprises me right now is that the domain name TonyFenton.COM is available for purchase...!

Why would that surprise you?

Why would that surprise you?
    Eh, because I would have thought that Tony Fenton would have registered it by now.

Obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Tony Fenton irritates me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

I noticed that too, also that r n b muck 'got me looking so crazy now'.

Then later in the show, theres always a motown classic.

Theres a lot of Groundhog Days with this guy, almost as bad as 'We've only got one cd-98FM'. He and Dempsey are too repeditive with their playlists. They must go imho!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

I cant believe what I just heard!
    Tony (wow thats brilliant,fantastic,love it,awesome,you guys are great) just slated Mimi vice! I've never heard him on air say anything was rubbish, maybe it all that rage built up and he's now on gonna speak his mind! good on ya Tony :)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Did anyone see the re-run of that show the other night in which Samantha Mumba was made up like a Zambian nun.

Jason Byrne's Anonymous on RTE 2. Repeated there the other night.

One of the funnier moments was when they rightly fooled TF that she was a Zambian nun doing a tour of national schools giving information to kids about Africa. The "real" Mumba was meant to call into the show and TF had a senior moment trying to cope with the goofed phone call and coping with the "Zambian nun" in studio trying to proposition him (asking if he was married, etc). TF was there in classic jock mode reeling off the "tour dates" countrywide where the nun could be seen, etc. "yeah she'll be in St Andrews in Castleblayney on July 5th, Dungarvan Community School on July 6th from 2pm-3pm "

Jason Byrne is a howl :)
    I'm sure he targeted TF because he was a soft target for lampooning.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andrea

miketv wrote:
    I cant believe what I just heard!
    Tony (wow thats brilliant,fantastic,love it,awesome,you guys are great) just slated Mimi vice! I've never heard him on air say anything was rubbish, maybe it all that rage built up and he's now on gonna speak his mind! good on ya Tony :)

Yeah I was shocked by this myself today, normally every film, album, song and artist is "just greeeat" (related to Tony the Tiger, or just thinks he IS Tony the Tiger)

He always reminds me of the guy from Harry Enfield (or was it The Fast Show) in the Jazz Club. Great.

At work we listen to Ian Dempsey (if we're in early enough) and Ray Darcy. As soon as Tony Fenton says Thanks to Ray and co for the last 3 hours the radio is off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Tony Dixon lives around the corner from me and he looks like a younger version of Fenton ;)

• Advertisement

Was just listening to Tony Fenton he played U2 The Fly which was number 1@1 for the year 1990. The song wasn't released till Nov 1991

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

Come on Guys, give the guy a break - its quiet simple if you don't like his style why listen and then moan about it, change the dial and deal with it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

You're A Winner!!!!!!!!

Mr Ed wrote:
    Come on Guys, give the guy a break - its quiet simple if you don't like his style why listen and then moan about it, change the dial and deal with it!!!

Well said Mr Ed. He's a professional, and like most jocks, he has had his own way of doing things for all the years he has been on radio. Give it a rest.

Mr Ed wrote:

you don't see the irony here?

Come on Mr. Ed, give the posters a break - its quite simple if you don't like this thread why post and then moan about it, change the URL and deal with it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Joebloggs:37

tony fenton has the personnaity of pat kenny while hes sleeping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

mickd wrote:
    Was just listening to Tony Fenton he played U2 The Fly which was number 1@1 for the year 1990. The song wasn't released till Nov 1991

I can't stand his obsession with U2. Every time I turn him on he is placing some U2 song and telling us how great it is, and if he is not doing that he is playing some Van Morrison drivel, like 'have I told you lately'

I remember him being quiet upset on the day after a broadcast of one of those ‘The Top 100 albums of all time’ shows. He was almost angry when introducing yet another U2 song, went something like
    'I watched the top 100 albums of all time on Channel 4 last night and could not believe it when Ok Computer came No. 1 ahead of the Joshua Tree, I wonder who complied this poll, I think most people would agree that the Joshua Tree should have won', queue playing more mediocrity from U2.

I laughed with glee.

He's a professional,

You call playing a song and saying its from a year when it wasn't even recorded professional. Thats a new one. I admit he is not the worst but don't insult listeners by thinking they wouldn't have noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭tech

Back in 1996 - 1997 I actually registered www.tonyfenton.com I thought I would be able to sell it ;(

tonyfenton.com STILL available :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭tech

I know I would have taught it would be taken by now, most famous people register their names ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I think the Apres Match guys did a piss take of radio DJ's out on the pull many years ago (98 i think). they had tony fenton down to a T.

"Hey girls, You're a winner!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm not a fan, I hate the 'smarmy dj' voice - he was on the panel the other week and he seems to speak that way even when he's not on radio.
    I knew him around 1980 though and he was very good looking. Blonde hair, blue eyes...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Fenton is number 1 on my deathlist, should I be given a position of power and allowed to have my own personal hitman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

LOVE TONY FENTON ON MY RADIO

seriously , hes what the term dj,s dj was created for

completly shallow , overly enthusiastic and very tongue in cheek

hes like listening to DUFF MAN from the simpsons on the radio

love em

• Advertisement
Advertisement