Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build me a Rig

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

This ok. Doesn't say sli
    http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=315953
    Liked blue led in thermaltake. Cant find Ocz in OCUK. Would prefer to buy all together if i could.... Will look later after work

Changin back to single 150Gb raptor as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

get a enermax,tangan or seasonic pronto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Or OCZ would be my reccomdedation.
    OCZ, Seasonic, Zippy, or PCP&C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Or Fortron.

Read reviews of power supplies.
    Active PFC (Power Factor Correction .wiki.) will save you money in the long-run too.

Don't worry too much about looks. You can always mod it yourself later (spray paint + some leds).

Down the road you might want to pickup a UPS with a quality inverter too.
    The power capacity doesn't matter too much, as I suggest it not just for backup purposes but more-so for line conditioning ie. give your rig's psu a cleaner feed, it has less work to do and will run *better*.

This 1 ok?

psu6fd.jpg

• Advertisement

2 best out there at the moment are the 6400C3's
    And the heavy clockers are saying very nice things bout the OCZ PC8000
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/OCZ_DDR2_Memory.html

Which of these would you choose?
    corsair Pc6400c3.....UK£354
    Ocz Pc8000............UK£317
    Crucial Pc8000 C5....UK317

Was only spending Uk£150 but decided to increase it. no point skimping on ram when everythin else looks so good. C3's are expensive. That EPP is only useful on nvidia boards also. should i stick with the 6400 c5. Running over buget a small bit. Need advise.

Also advise on psu i choose above. cheers

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Which of these would you choose?
    corsair Pc6400c3.....UK£354
    Ocz Pc8000............UK£317
    Crucial Pc8000 C5....UK317

Was only spending Uk£150 but decided to increase it. no point skimping on ram when everythin else looks so good. C3's are expensive. That EPP is only useful on nvidia boards also. should i stick with the 6400 c5. Running over buget a small bit. Need advise.

Also advise on psu i choose above. cheers

6400C3 hold all current DDR2/Conroe World Records.
    I shall say no more ;)

and also get a 600wat psu

Pre-ordered conroe this eve.......:D

Date:6 July 2006
    Order Number:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Payment method:SECPay Online Processing

Shopping Cart (Prices in British Pounds)
    REFERENCEDESCRIPTIONQUANTITYPRICECOST
    CP-128-INIntel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz
    (1066FSB) - Retail (CP-128-IN)1
    £214.95£214.95
    Subtotal£214.95
    Shipping (Royal Mail International Priority Signed For)£10.85
    VAT£39.52
    Total£265.32

Just in case ye don't believe me....:rolleyes:

Sofar i have this in mind:

Processor:....Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz 1066Fsb............................252.57
    Mobo:.........DFI Infinity Socket975x PCI-E DDR2...............................152.69
    Cooler:.......Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Cpu Cooler............................17.75
    Ram:..........Corsair 2Gb DDR2 XMS2-6400C3 (2x1Gb).............................354.79
    Hdd:..........Western Digital Raptors 150Gb 10,000Rpm SATA.....................185.06
    PSU:..........Seasonic S12 600W Silent ATX2.0 PSU...............................99.82
    Case:.........Thermaltake VA9000SWA Kandalf Aluminium Full Tower Silver........132.36
    Soundcard:....Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music...........................56.99

Also Dvd-Rom, Dvd-Rw & Floppy...................................................46.88

Total.........................................................................1298.81

Gone over budget. Prices in sterling & not including delivery. Gotta buy Xp-Pro as well. Any advise on how to shave off a few quids? Gonna order on wed.

Em get the kandalk in ireland save on huge postage.
    Ya really need the raptor?? Most sata2 drives are unbelievabl quick nowadays.

• Advertisement

Had thought of that. Gonna get what i can in Komplett depending on the price to keep delivery down. I like the Kandalf, dont wanna change that.

Always wanted a raptor, even tho they supposed to be very noisy ...................can always add 1 again i suppose.

you wont save money on shiping from ocuk its like 22 for every thing including case.

also just use 2 200gb drives in raid 0 and its nearly as fast as a raptor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Any advise on how to shave off a few quids? Gonna order on wed.

Will say it again.. Buy a small raptor and a normal HDD and you will save the guts of 100 euro.

ok. Advise taken :rolleyes:

36Gb Raptor (£73), Seagate Barracuda 120Gb Sata2 (£45) & 2 Akasa Dayglo blue cables.....nice
    Can add another raptor nxt yr.

lol ;) ood choice

Finally not changin again.

Processor:....Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz 1066Fsb............................252.57
    Mobo:.........DFI Infinity Socket975x PCI-E DDR2...............................152.69
    Cooler:.......Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Cpu Cooler............................17.75
    Ram:..........Corsair 2Gb DDR2 XMS2-6400C3 (2x1Gb).............................354.79
    Hdd:..........Seagate Barracuda 320Gb SATA2 16Mb Cache..........................77.49
    PSU:..........Seasonic S12 600W Silent ATX2.0 PSU...............................99.82
    Case:.........Thermaltake VA9000SWA Kandalf Aluminium Full Tower Silver........132.36
    Soundcard:....Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music...........................56.99
    Hdd Cable:....Akasa Sata Dayglo Blue Data Cable x 2..............................3.47
    Also Dvd-Rom, Dvd-Rw & Floppy...................................................46.88

Total.........................................................................1194.81

Add delivery & Xp-pro.

Ok been readin round a bit and found out that Dfi are known for good Amd boards. They have little or no experience in producing an Intel 1 and there is no way of knowing if its any good or not. with that in mind i am considering changing mobo to the Asus one. Asus will be compatible with quad core if i decide to upgrade. i'm gonna have to flash the bios to get it to work in the first place. Read this:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Asus_177.html

opinions please. No need for X-fi now.

Glad ya showed me that. puts my mind at ease. stickin with mobo now. cheers. Gonna order it next week.

:)

If ya ned any more advice just shout ;)

• Advertisement

:)

If ya ned any more advice just shout ;)

or roar :D

Dl'ed the manual for mobo 2day. Just spent the last few hours studying it. Bios looks cool but very complicated. I know i gonna be makin a call for help when i get round 2 clockin this beast. Gonna run on stock for while till i get used to it. Have to clock it to get the most out of that t3 ram, if it works at all. Manual says the mem bus speed is 533 or 667mhz, the t3 memory operates at 800mhz. please clear this up. Power connections are in a ****ty place (just beside the pci-e slot). Does the NB fan come with the mobo?

This is my 1st build so i'm prob gonna need advise when assembling. i'm well up for it and there's no better way to learn.

Gonna drop soundcard as i can add it again if onboard is crappy.

Decided to order it on mon. got cash sittin here burnin a hole in my pocket.

ok as it looks now. back to raid 0, no soundcard, changed the ram and psu (ocz is blue led & suits), dropped kandalf cos i read its very heavy. better price 2

Ram:..........OCZ PC5400 Dual Channel Gold GX XTC Series (2x1Gb)...............152.69
    Hdd:..........2x Seagate Barracuda 120Gb SATA2 Raid 0...........................89.18
    PSU:..........OCZ GameXStream 600w SLI ATX2.0 PSU...............................88.07
    Case:.........Thermaltake VA8000SWA ARrmourAluminium Super Tower Silver........117.44
    Hdd Cable:....Akasa Sata Dayglo Blue Data Cable x 2..............................3.47

Total..........................................................................920.74

COMMENTS PLS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mac_leinn

PogMoThoin wrote:
    ok as it looks now. back to raid 0, no soundcard, changed the ram and psu (ocz is blue led & suits), dropped kandalf cos i read its very heavy. better price 2

Ram:..........OCZ PC5400 Dual Channel Gold GX XTC Series (2x1Gb)...............152.69
    Hdd:..........2x Seagate Barracuda 120Gb SATA2 Raid 0...........................89.18
    PSU:..........OCZ GameXStream 600w SLI ATX2.0 PSU...............................88.07
    Case:.........Thermaltake VA8000SWA ARrmourAluminium Super Tower Silver........117.44

Total..........................................................................920.74

COMMENTS PLS

This ram is the same price but tighter timings:
    Crucial 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-5300C3 667MHz Ballistix Dual Channel Kit (BL2KIT12864AA663) (MY-079-CR)
    (Second one down)

They same price 2. Didnt show timings, i just assumed 5400 would be better than 5300. Had said earlier in thread i'd prefer ballistix. plan got railroaded along the way. i have to stop makin changes and just order. mon cant come soon enough so i wont change my mind again.

hmm dont timming not matter that much on ddr2 ???

awhir wrote:
    hmm dont timming not matter that much on ddr2 ???

Should i stick with OCZ?
    Reccommend a nice cooler. pref 1 with blue led & controller. Have sis in ny so newegg will do.

go with the ocz and stick with the artic there nice coolers.

Q? just wonderin, will pc5400 perform better than pc5300? Also whats the NBfan connection on mobo for, i wont have a northbridge fan?

• Advertisement

if you think of it this way whats faster a p4 3.2 or p4 3.6

its kinda the same with ram but you kinda have to think of timming to but good ram is mostly for overclocking see with pc5400 it will go at fast speeds then the pc5300 and you should get a nicer overclock with it since your cpu only supports x10 mulity

correct me if im worng:D

Advertisement