Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can you get UV tattoos in Dublin...

Options
  • 04-07-2006 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Hello folks, I'm hoping you can help me with a query.
    I'm wondering were you can get UV tattoos done in Dublin? (the ones that are only visiable under UV light). Afaik they are different to white ink tattoos.

Also any idea how much it would cost to get 10 letters done (about 1/2cm high)???

Sorry if these are noob questions but it's all very new to me.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

More info on these things here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=190974&referrerid=59211&highlight=uv+tattoo

Also click Search and enter UV tattoo.

It seems that best to do is check with the diff shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

biko wrote:
    More info on these things here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=190974&referrerid=59211&highlight=uv+tattoo

Also click Search and enter UV tattoo.

It seems that best to do is check with the diff shops?
    Cheers Biko, I had a look over the other threads but didn't see anything.
    TBH I wanted to ask here before I started contacting the shops as I'm still making up my mind (well not really, I've made the decision, but I'm seeing if there's a reason I shouldn't)

mmm, ok. So I've read all that, and now you've put me off the whole UV idea. :(

The concept is to get an invisable tattoo on my thumb/base of palm. I would have liked it to be more obvious in certain situations (ie: not work, but clubs etc. I wouldn't mind - well lets face it, I want it to be visible some times). I guess that's that idea shot then? ...or does anyone have any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Zulu wrote:
    mmm, ok. So I've read all that, and now you've put me off the whole UV idea. :(

The concept is to get an invisable tattoo on my thumb/base of palm. I would have liked it to be more obvious in certain situations (ie: not work, but clubs etc. I wouldn't mind - well lets face it, I want it to be visible some times). I guess that's that idea shot then? ...or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Have a look at getting it done with white ink. it's hardly noticeable and almost looks just like a scar, there's no reason that normal white ink wouldn't be more noticeable under UV.
    For white work have a look at the "I'll show you ..." sticky there is some at the very start.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Have a look at getting it done with white ink. it's hardly noticeable and almost looks just like a scar, there's no reason that normal white ink wouldn't be more noticeable under UV.
    For white work have a look at the "I'll show you ..." sticky there is some at the very start.
    I've taught about that, and I have fair skin so it wouldn't be that noticable, but I'd only be interested in getting it done on my thumb/palm so it'd be in a place I can't afford it to be noticable (least not during work hours) which is part of the problem. It's a real shame about the UV ink - it would have been perfect...

• Advertisement

I'd say it'd be as good as unnoticable on your palm. If you get an artist that is willing to do white, it's not quite as hard as one who would do UV, then ask them to do a test run somewhere on your body and if you can deal with the results after a month or so when it has healed then go for it.

I'm not seeing white ones on the "I'll show you..."

Why whould there be a problem with an artist doing one in white? ...and why would I need to do a test run? (Is this nessisary? I don't want 2 tattoos!) ...again sorry if these are really obvious questions.

Zulu wrote:
    I'm not seeing white ones on the "I'll show you..."

Why whould there be a problem with an artist doing one in white? ...and why would I need to do a test run? (Is this nessisary? I don't want 2 tattoos!) ...again sorry if these are really obvious questions.

I just had a look back at that thread and it was actually the first post that had two pieces of white work in it, they are both gone.
    Maybe PM mizzkattt to see will she link you to the stuff, or look and see can you find anything at bmezine.

White is hard cos if a stencil is used, which is normally the case, the stencil is carbon paper normally that is transferred by wetting your skin then pressing the image from the paper to your skin.
    The outline is blue, this can get mixed into the white ink and cause a blue edge on the white tattoo.

A test run would be advisable if you want to see how that ink looks on your skin, maybe get a small circle done on your leg or somewhere that it wont be noticed. It depends on how important it is to you to have the right tattoo and looking right on your hand.
    Hand tattoos are not to be taken lightly and some artists wont touch them for fear of messing up future employment prospects or that, some dont care...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I have a white ink tattoo on my neck, ill try to get a pic for you later today (no camera with me in work), white ink stays exactly the same under UV light it does not "glow" or change in any way. It can look kind of like a scar when healed, in winter especially when your paler, but when you tan slightly it looks great! I'd recommend white ink to anyone who doesn't want a hugely visible tattoo, I for one am definately going to get some more white work, probably on my wrist and hand.

when people say it looks like a scar?
    I'm looking to get text on my hand, but I don't want to look like I'm branded...

• Advertisement

I found a link to a bme encyclopedia article on white ink with some examples of work.
    http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/White_Ink
    I would have thought that any white substance would fluoresce to some degree under UV, but Shelli has one and disagrees, so I suppose we'll go with experience on that one.

Thanks a million for that Blub2k4. I appricate all your help here! Nice one.

Shelli, actually on that, does the white ink not light up like your teeth (or dandruf for that matter?)

Nope, well mine doesn't anyway, and alot of my friends have white ink (all done by different artists) and there's dont glow either, so it's not just mine. I'm not too sure why but I guess it's because the ink sits under your skin, and the layer of skin over the ink is tinted with your natural skin color

Another thing I just thought of, you'll have to let the artist know that you are aware that a palm tattoo wont last.
    You can expect it to last anywhere between 18 months to 2 years, any longer is a bonus. The hands replace their skin too often due to wear and tear for tattoos to hold up.
    Artists are slow to do them for this reason, unless you tell them you know it wont work from the start and that you wont go about telling them that that artist did a crap job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

The reason teeth glow and not the tattoo ink is that it's phosphors that glow under a black light, obviously the ink doesn't contain phosphors.
    Looking at those pics I'm definitely not getting a standard white tattoo, have to keep looking at the Titanium White one from Chameleon inks, hopefully completely clear for my skin tone under normal light.

from that other thread it'd appear that the old UV isn't the 'brightest' idea. (ohh that a bad joke) I dunno. Sounds a little iffy.

UV ink is definately a bad idea, and I don't know any reputable artist who would use it. Maybe in about 10-15 years it will be widely available, but only after it's effects have been properly tested, at the moment nobody knows the long term effects of putting UV ink under your skin, and it doesn't have a great rep with short term effects either, many people who have tried it have had a bad reaction of some description.

Thats good enough for me! Shelli, any chance of PM'ing me a snap of your white ink work? ...it cool if you don't want to.

I have to say that that stuff does look like it's probably safe, the ink is contained in a plastic bead, and what bothered me most in the last thread was the way they all rolled in together to pimp that **** like it was a coordinated campaign to promote the stuff.

The jury is still out on it in any case and no one is really taking the UV thing seriously.

Yea, except the artists. To be fair, if they're saying no, I'm not going to go against that. It's something I want to keep with me for some time, so I want to be sure it's safe and the last thread wasn't exactly confidence inspiring. If I can't get level advice, I'll just go with out.

...about this 2 year hand thing...
    Ok origionally I assumed it would last for ever - where ever, but I see the point about the skin on your hand, and understand how this would effect the tattoo. After 2 years though, would I be left with no tattoo (which I could live with) or a really crap smuged one that has lost all meaning (which I definatly don't want) which I'd be stuk with for ages?

• Advertisement

Blub2k4 wrote:
    I have to say that that stuff does look like it's probably safe, the ink is contained in a plastic bead, and what bothered me most in the last thread was the way they all rolled in together to pimp that **** like it was a coordinated campaign to promote the stuff.

The jury is still out on it in any case and no one is really taking the UV thing seriously.
    As I said in the other thread the UV bit doesn't worry me, if anything the plastic beads would as plastic is not really a great material to be putting into your body. If I do ever get around to getting a test tattoo done in it I'll see about posting up pics and views. Just have to find the time and get organised about it all, ordering some of the ink and making the necessary booking(s) once it's arrived. Don't particularly mind being a guinea pig in this instance since at least it might let me get the tattoo I want withough scuppering any future employment hopes:(.

Zulu wrote:
    Ok origionally I assumed it would last for ever - where ever, but I see the point about the skin on your hand, and understand how this would effect the tattoo. After 2 years though, would I be left with no tattoo (which I could live with) or a really crap smuged one that has lost all meaning (which I definatly don't want) which I'd be stuk with for ages?

You'd be left with bits and pieces of it probably, the areas that get most usage would lose the most ink. It would actually start with healing, I can imagine that scabs would lift out of the palm and bring the ink with them, I mean you cant not use your hands, unless you want to walk around with people doing stuff for you.

You could get it and have it touched up every two years or so and that would probably maintain it a bit better, but at the end of the day it's not lasting tattoo and is a novelty like a lip tattoo or a sole of the foot tattoo.

farohar wrote:
    As I said in the other thread the UV bit doesn't worry me, if anything the plastic beads would as plastic is not really a great material to be putting into your body. If I do ever get around to getting a test tattoo done in it I'll see about posting up pics and views. Just have to find the time and get organised about it all, ordering some of the ink and making the necessary booking(s) once it's arrived. Don't particularly mind being a guinea pig in this instance since at least it might let me get the tattoo I want withough scuppering any future employment hopes:(.

It really doesn't bother you that we have no idea what the long term effects could be, seriously, think of all the medication, cigarettes, etc. that were considered safe in years gone by, only to be discovered carcinogenic or toxic in the years that followed. If you don't mind that risk you'd be a perfect guinea pig for medical research, at least then you'd get paid for putting yourself in danger.

Sorry if I sound like i'm preaching, I just don't understand why someone could risk serious health complications purely for asthetics. We have enough terminally ill people without people doing it to themselves.

Shelli wrote:
    It really doesn't bother you that we have no idea what the long term effects could be, seriously, think of all the medication, cigarettes, etc. that were considered safe in years gone by, only to be discovered carcinogenic or toxic in the years that followed. If you don't mind that risk you'd be a perfect guinea pig for medical research, at least then you'd get paid for putting yourself in danger.

Sorry if I sound like i'm preaching, I just don't understand why someone could risk serious health complications purely for asthetics. We have enough terminally ill people without people doing it to themselves.
    Much of which can be said for the majority of food additives and preservatives which we eat now, even many naturally occuring foods can cause problems with long term consumption, sometimes even short term (avocados and many other food with pits can kill you via cyanide poisioning). Questions even remain over the vitamin tablets both in terms of the dosages and the way the vitamins are bound in the tablets. How certain can you be of any of the inks, none of them give a guarantee and I imagine that a pharmacologist could list off a fair few possible problems the compounds used in them may cause (for example basing them off alcohol for one).
    Couldn't be bothered with medical research for the simple reason the gain (paultry €) is not worth it IMO.

For me I just feel the risk is worth it, just as you undoubtedly feel the risk is worth it in many things you do in your life.

Zulu wrote:

I just spotted this on bmezine and thought I'd give you a look, this is a foot, but you can see where the shoes have obviously been pressing on one part of the foot all the time, it's faded in that spot, the hand would be something similar but on a wider scale I think.

bmepb295659.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 clódaigh

hi , i've been looking around for a place to get a uv tattoo. I no a few places won't do it because it's not fully researched.Can anyone help?Also could anyone give me info on uv and white ink?thanks Clódaigh

Advertisement