Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Shed

Options
  • 04-07-2006 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a small wooden garden shed about 7ft wide 4ft deep and 7ft high - anyone know of where one can be bought in South County Dublin. The only ones I have seen so far are very expensive ones in wicklow that are made to order- I am happy to buy self assembly one - but local DIY stores only seem to have palstic "sheds".

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Homebase do garden sheds that you assemble yourself. I ordered one from them, think its only 6ft*4ft but they have a catalogue instore that has different sizes. Ours was only 130 eur which is a big saving on any of the ones that you buy assembled. Probably not the sturdiest shed in the world but it does the job fine for us for storage.
    One point is that it did take a month to actually get it after we ordered it. Then you can either collect it from their store or have it delievered (delivery charge for us was €30).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Avoid the cheap and cheerful tea bag stained lapped panelled GS's found all too often in many DIY stores. Better spending more on good build pressure treated quality Garden Shed.

Avoid also gimmicks like free shelving instead more important characteristics like galvanized hinges, boards nailed not stapled and yes go for the Tongued and Grooved construction finish and stay away from Lapped (no material strength) Panels. Usually pure crap.

Custom sizes are available although expect to pay a premium. We recommend Abwood (www.abwood.ie) and service and delivery is very good. Check out the Cabin style (almost Flat roof) as an alternative to the Standard Apex (unless of course you want your GS to stand out).

PS Baumann's in Stillorgan also provide standard/special sizes to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree. Cheap is not always the best option if you want it to last any time and remain weather and waterproof. T&G pressure treated sheds may seem expensive at first but they'll outlast any of the el-cheapo lapped sheds as Sonnenblumen rightly points out. I had my shed custom made but the guy who built it got all the timber from Abwood who appeared to be a good company to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

We recommend Abwood (www.abwood.ie) and service and delivery is very good. Check out the Cabin style (almost Flat roof) as an alternative to the Standard Apex (unless of course you want your GS to stand out).

They seem to be a good deal more expensive than Kellys. Is there an appreciable difference between the sheds abwood are supplying and Kelly equivalent (I think they call it the Glenealy). The specification looks very similar?

I also found another supplier in Kildare called Moody Bros and they are cheaper again than Kellys for the T&G.

I'm looking at getting a couple of 8x6's but have not decided on a supplier. I want good quality but price is also an issue. Any feedback welcome on these suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

Just got a 14' * 8' from kellys, excellent shed and service. Expensive though. Went for the pressure treated 20 year job, will do me over the years. 3 guys came and out it up, came with blocks and everything. Panels screwed together. Lined on the inside.

This place looks good too? only £50 to deliver to ireland.

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

My parents got the Glenealy from Kellys, must be 10 years ago now, 2 or 3 guys came out and shoved it up in a day.
    A few dodgy/stray nails here or there but otherwise a pretty good shed.
    My only concern is the quality of the door, its not very secure (hinges or the supplied clasp)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hey

You'v been offered impartial advice, you can take it or leave it, at the end of the day it's your decision. If you cannot make a decision well take some responsibility.

If price is your key driver well then deal with the shortcomings.

You know there is an old Russsian proverb:

In the market(place), there are two types of fools, one asks too many questions, and the other asks too few.

I don't mean to be offensive, but it is afterall a garden Shed you're looking for, and normally one would expect at least a 10 year lifespan if not more.

Do the sums and the quality will come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Eh, thanks. But I was looking for advice, not a lecture on economics.:rolleyes:
    Did you actually read my post?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

would also recommend a cladded roof instead of mineral felt...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

squire1 wrote:
    Eh, thanks. But I was looking for advice, not a lecture on economics.:rolleyes:
    Did you actually read my post?

And you got a Russian proverb into the bargain as well ;):D

Have also been looking for Garden sheds recently and came across a shiplap apex 7x7 one in B&Q for 350e which seemed to be best of the non kellys ones out there!

Had a badge on it that it was made by a company called Shires and we have a kids playhouse by the same company and of the same material, the playhouse has withstood half the neighbourhoods kids being in it at various stages and also monsoon like rain a few weeks back without letting a spot of water in so can vouch that they are quite sturdy!!

But aside from B&Q have hd Moody Bros in Kildare Town reccomended by 3 people as being very good to deal with and supplying/fitting very well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Queen o'te Hill

www.gardenshed.ie, I just bought a chalet style for €435 and they are delivering this Saturday...all I need is 5 blocks! the website should give you some info!:o

Advertisement