Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hungry Puppy!!! Bald patch?

Options
  • 04-07-2006 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hey, I have a golden retriever pup who just wont stop eating and whining for food! I am feeding her about a mug full of red mills three times a day. She was born on the 2nd of april. The food dissapears in about 20 seconds in a frenzy and she starts to go mental looking for more.

Last night for instance I fed the two dogs (her and adult bitch) and left the pup whining for more at the door. Before going to bed then (about 30 mins later) she was still whining!

Am I feeding her enough?

Bald Patch

She has also developed a small but noticable bald patch on her head. Is this common? I was thinking it may be from playing with my other dog. Would love to know what it is, I mean who likes baldies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

On most food packaging you will find a feeding guide, telling you how much food per weight of dog to feed. Depending on the size of your mug ..three mugs sounds about right ...but check her weight and measure the food properly to be sure.

If you ARE feeding her enough, then you shouldn't really indulge her cries for more, some dogs just don't know when they've had enough and will eat until they end up as hopelessly overweight balloons...others (like mine) you can sit in front of a whole sack full of food and they will only eat what they need.

Try giving her some non filling snacks ...raw carrots are excellent. They can be nawed, they fill the stomach but they don't contain much usable food for a dog, so she won't put on weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

has she been wormed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Yeah - I had the same problem with my Great Dane when he was a pup, begging for food none stop regardless of how much he ate. He was basically a bottomless pit who'd eat anything.

I ignored his beggings and just kept to my schedule and eventually he learns when it was time to eat and the beggings/whinings stopped.

Still doesn't stop him from wolfing down his food in an instant during feeding time aged 9, he just loves his food. He's my food disposal unit [NEVER give a dog bones if he eats his food like no tommorow - it would harm him] :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

has she been wormed?

Yup, every two weeks. Its like trying to put a wet bar of soap into another wet bar of soap!

Thanks everyone! Anyone know about the bald patch?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Anyone know about the bald patch?

Most likely a skin infection / allergy / mites ....

Off to the vet you go !

No need to worm the poor thing every two weeks ..ask your vet for the correct intervals while you're there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

what Peasant said :)

Advertisement