Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese restaurant

• 04-07-2006 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭

I am looking to take my GF out for a meal sometime and would like to try something a little more unique. Can anyone reccommend any good Japanese restaurants that offer genuine food/style? Dublin city centre preferably.

My GF is a vegetarian, I assume all will be OK but if you should think it wouldn't, say so :).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I am looking to take my GF out for a meal sometime and would like to try something a little more unique. Can anyone reccommend any good Japanese restaurants that offer genuine food/style? Dublin city centre preferably.

My GF is a vegetarian, I assume all will be OK but if you should think it wouldn't, say so :).

Yamamori on Georges St is excellent and has a good vegetarian selection. Not too dear either.

Wagamama is great too although not exactly romantic.

I hear good things about Chai Yo on Baggot street too, have yet to try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,998 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The one behind Brown Thomas - Aya??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The one behind Brown Thomas - Aya??
    That one has the conveyor belt and everything.

There is one across the road from the International Bar on Wicklow street, they have Karoke booths downstairs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I'll second Yamamori. Good choice of veggie dishes and the large groups and smaller tables are kept quite separate so it's nice if there's just the 2 of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Thanks for all the responses so far, really appreciate them.

I have been to Wagamamas and was not too fond of it. I will have a look at Yamamori and Aya during the week. Akasaka definitly sounds like it's got the qualities I am looking for, just have to see if it's convienient enough to make our way out there, although it should not be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

For what you seem to be after:
    Wagamama. Not nice enough inside.
    Yamamori: Nice place to spend an evening, busy enough to have atmosphere, great veggie options, great prices for what your getting but not for the Japanese afficianado.
    Chai Yo: Older crowd, not cheap, high quality food (although not strictly just vegetarian, but the nicest sushi in Dublin imo), very nice inside, a little boring on the atmosphere front although the teppanyaki grill is fun.
    Aya: Better food than Yamamori, a bit more expensive too, trendy, good atmosphere, conveyer belt is great fun.
    Ukiyo: Good atmosphere, great food and if you can get some karaoke going you'll have a night you won't forget.

Good luck and enjoy! (And remember, sushi is filled/topped rice and sashimi is raw fish, a common mix up!).

frobisher wrote:
    Chai Yo: (although not strictly just vegetarian, but the nicest sushi in Dublin imo)

Good luck and enjoy!

I assume that should read "Japanese"?

Thanks for the round-up, before that post it was looking like a choice between yamamori and akasaka after reading some reviews. Aya sounded a little too, snackish, but I will pop in to check it out for myself now.

Anyway, sounds like we really can't go wrong and everywhere offers something! Will do a bit more scouting during the week, any more opinions would be greatly appreciated.

frobisher wrote:
    Ukiyo: Good atmosphere, great food and if you can get some karaoke going you'll have a night you won't forget.
    Ukiyo! That's the one on Wicklow street... I've eaten there. It's nice, but the portions seemed fairly small. Also it was pretty much deserted when I was there and it always seems empty whenever I walk past. They do seem to have a fine selection of Saki though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

A lot of the food in Ukiyo is Korean. I don't like the look of the place..

I've been disappointed by Aya the two times i've been there. They're overpriced and their sushi is definitely not the best in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

As far as I know only lunch-time food in Ukiyo is korean.

• Advertisement

Well I took a trip down to Akasaka and I must say , it was great; great food, lovely staff (very helpful), nice decor and athmosphere. Possibly a little cramped but it was definitly what I was looking for so thanks for the suggestion bedlam. We will probably head into some of the other places sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

<3 Yamamori apart from the WOEGUS Knuttel paintings. God, how anyone can class that as art is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well I took a trip down to Akasaka and I must say , it was great; great food, lovely staff (very helpful), nice decor and athmosphere. Possibly a little cramped but it was definitly what I was looking for so thanks for the suggestion bedlam. We will probably head into some of the other places sometime.

I tried them recently!! Lovely food.. although the Bento box with tempura prawns we had was a little bare.. lots of rice.. no sauce.. we Irish are spoiled with our need for sauce :D:D However the Sushi was excellent.

Anyway not too far away in Tyrrellstown (other side of blanch) there is an excellent one. Now i have not tried the Japansese room.. it needs to be booked. Its a Teppan Yaki room... thats table food.. you sit around a table and the chef cooks the food on a plate grill for you.
    They also do Sushi boats etc...

Going there for my brithday and booking the room (no charge, just needs to be booked).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I brought Japanese friends to Wagamama and Yamamori. They liked Yamamori, but weren't impressed with Wagamama. But of course individual tastes vary.

Second the Knuttel point. Ick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Joel123

:D We were Just in there a couple of weeks ago, and t'was amazing experience we had, The menu are flexible, If you want anything that out from the menu the fantastic Chef well goin to do something for you,and I've notice that this Teppanyaki in Castleknock is the very first Teppanyaki in dublin, since early of 2001 i think or late year 2000...
    Saruman wrote: »
    I tried them recently!! Lovely food.. although the Bento box with tempura prawns we had was a little bare.. lots of rice.. no sauce.. we Irish are spoiled with our need for sauce :D:D However the Sushi was excellent.

Anyway not too far away in Tyrrellstown (other side of blanch) there is an excellent one. Now i have not tried the Japansese room.. it needs to be booked. Its a Teppan Yaki room... thats table food.. you sit around a table and the chef cooks the food on a plate grill for you.
    They also do Sushi boats etc...

Going there for my brithday and booking the room (no charge, just needs to be booked).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Joel123

I've seen a new Japanese Restaurant underconstruction near beside Swan Shopping Center,But i think the spelling of the word Teppanyaki got mistaken, or they intensionaly make it wrong, ahh I got it, Its being writen Like this TIPPENYAKI ...TIPPERARY YAKI. Hahahahahhahhaa:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Shabadu wrote: »
    <3 Yamamori apart from the WOEGUS Knuttel paintings. God, how anyone can class that as art is beyond me.
    Awww, I was going to go there in January, I won't bother now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Go the Yamamori on the Quays instead, just as good food, much better decor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

They do seem to have a fine selection of Saki though.

Sake

(Sorry, pet hate...)

FruitLover wrote: »
    Sake

(Sorry, pet hate...)

Oh no... they have a complete set of Hector Hugh Munro's work for you to read while you eat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

An absolutely wonderful find is the Hop House on Parnell Street. It's a mix of Japanese and Korean but they do wonderful sushi and some great curry dishes. It's not a very romantic place - it's an old converted pub; but the food is out of this world - real cheap and cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

The wife and I eat out at Yo Thai above Kiely's pub in Donnybrook regularly. They serve Japanese, Chinese and Thai food. They have teppan tables where you can watch the chef prepare your cooked Japanese food on a slate in front of you with plenty juggling and flames.

We go there for the sushi and love it. The food is excellent, the atmosphere is romantic, the service is exceptional. What more could you ask for?

Oh... the only slight negative is the automatic 10% service charge applied to the total bill.

Mike

Advertisement