Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting project

Options
  • 04-07-2006 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Dublin based musician seeks web desginer.

I represent a musician recording his debut album at present. He has already supported major international acts and from this he's had a lot of interest from labels. He now needs to get a website up and running.

Nothing too flash - but ideally 'clever' and well laid out.

So if you're looking for a project to showcase your skills to the global music industry please PM me.

Rondo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

"A project to showcase your skills" here sounds suspiciously like "I'm looking for someone to work for free/peanuts". You really should be more direct about that, if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Surely someone that has supported major international acts and received a lot of interest from labels wouldn't possibly have the audacity to ask someone to work for free/peanuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rondo

Gordon wrote:
    Surely someone that has supported major international acts and received a lot of interest from labels wouldn't possibly have the audacity to ask someone to work for free/peanuts.

You'd be forgiven for being under the impression that acts get big fees to support major acts. The reality is quite different. The trade off for the artist is the exposure to a wider audience.

In the same way, this act will get a lot of attention over the coming months and the website should see a lot of traffic. It may be an opportunity for someone building a portflio, or just someone who loves music, to be associated with a high-profile music website.

We're looking for someone with ideas who is keen to create. We are not looking for someone who can churn out a website because we are paying them to do it.

That is not to say that the design will be carried out without fee. But if money is your sole motivation you're not right for this project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

rondo wrote:
    You'd be forgiven for being under the impression that acts get big fees to support major acts. The reality is quite different. The trade off for the artist is the exposure to a wider audience.
    That’s called investment. If the artist gets that larger audience, then they (and their agents, managers, etc) make money. In some cases a lot of money.
    In the same way, this act will get a lot of attention over the coming months and the website should see a lot of traffic. It may be an opportunity for someone building a portflio, or just someone who loves music, to be associated with a high-profile music website.
    Someone starting off in Web design/development may well benefit from such exposure, but only if there is exposure. We only have your word as to this artist’s marketability.

Of course I’m not saying he’s not, only that anyone interested in taking this project on should take care that the site may get little or no exposure if he’s not all he’s cracked up to be.
    We're looking for someone with ideas who is keen to create. We are not looking for someone who can churn out a website because we are paying them to do it.
    We already figured out that you want a free lunch.
    That is not to say that the design will be carried out without fee. But if money is your sole motivation you're not right for this project.
    And I suppose you’re all involved simply for a love of the music? That you’re looking to get a free or close to free Web site is your own business, but you’re doing it to invest in a brand, which will in turn make money if successful. There is absolutely nothing altruistic in your offer, so don’t try to dress it up as such.

As I said, doing a free portfolio piece like this can be good for people starting off in the Web business, however they’re useless if you don’t get sufficient accreditation (your name and/link on it) or the site is not marketing some lemon with delusions of grandeur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

:D wats his name? i can sponsor his domain, will remain as mine but u reserve the right to use it unexclusively. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

A typical web site could be turned around in about 40 hours (meetings, concepts, revisions and coding). Something really creative to showcase your artists musical talent.

In return I have a few events coming up over the next few months both business and my sisters wedding so how about a fair trade of 40 gig hours in return!

The quality of my work is online at the link below. I will of course need to hear some samples of your artists work to judge if it is a fair trade.

I look forward to hearing from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

rondo I understand where you're coming from. You want your mate to have a good website so that he can look good for the labels he's trying to get a contract with. Understandably you want it for as cheap as possible.

Just a couple of bits of advice to any interested parties:
    - You should make sure not to give your source psd or fla files or any other such templates that you create out to the client.
    - Keep track of the amount of hours you work on this project for future reference.

rondo, if you want this guy to have more coverage - a mate of mine is coming over next week for the editing of her new film and has asked me to help with the sound/music production. She may be interested in having this person's music on the film if it's creative enough and the music will obviously be great for a musicians CV. There won't be any money involved but the music will be right up there in the film and will be credited accordingly in the credits at the end.

Send me more information if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rondo

Thanks for your positive contribution to this discussion Gordon - will PM you...

Advertisement