Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with a ZyXel Prestige 645 on Netsource DSL

• 04-07-2006 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi,

My employer is a Netsource, now Magnet Business, corporate customer. We have, since our subscription began, been using a ZyXel Prestige 645 router, a make and model of router that was at one time very popular with DSL operators so I'm sure a lot of other people are still using them. In recent weeks we had some DSL glitches the most serious of which was only resolved by power-cycling the router. Yesterday we experienced a full outage that could not be resolved by resetting the router. The behaviour was as follows:

We had no connectivity. After manually resetting the router the connection would come back up and packets would flow for a period of 60 seconds or so, after this period the router would appear to soft-reset (the timer counting seconds connected to DSL would reset, although it would report it was connected) and after this no more packets would flow.

This seemed very much like a hardware fault. We swapped in another ZyXel Prestige 645 router I happened to have, configured it similarly to the previous one and connected it. It connected but then experienced the same soft-reset behaviour that the one we had deemed faulty did.

It's possible that both of these ZyXel routers were faulty and we were just unlucky but I'm more inclined to believe that some recent configuration change on our ISP's side is causing this particular model of router to fail in this way.

I understand that Netsource are an Eircom reseller so, if our thoughts are on the right track here this problem could have effected anyone using a resold Eircom DSL product.

Have any of you had similar experiences in recent days?

(Cross-posted to IIU mailing list)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Canacourse

I am also a netsource customer and have been having problems losing the DSL connection and extremely low throughput for the last 4 weeks.

So far Netsource support have tried to fob us off saying the BB is a variable speed shared product. While this is true we are never getting any more than 10-15% of the bandwidth at any time of the day or night. This problem only started in the last few weeks.

AFAIK, Netsource just sell on Eircoms DSL offering. The only reason we got DSL from NS was so we dont have to contact that useless shower of w**nk**s in eircom when something goes wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Cliph

Canacourse wrote:
    I am also a netsource customer and have been having problems losing the DSL connection and extremely low throughput for the last 4 weeks.

Thanks for your reply, I don't think we're suffering a related problem. We're on the 5Mb/s product and the speed we get is just that. No complaints there.

Netsource support are much better than Eircom, it has to be said but I suppose it might not be difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

I am a Netsource customer and the available bandwidth this past month is crap. The response is the usual, it is a variable product etc.

Advertisement