Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Too young?

• 04-07-2006 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going Unregistered for this.

Heres the thing, I went out yesterday, and met this really nice girl, she's 15 and lives near me.

The problem is, im 18 coming up to 19 in december...

I like her, but i dunno about the whole age gap.

Your views?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

erm, 15 < 16, i would thread very carefully here m8, you are in the dodgy age gap.

if both of u were adults, i.e. over 18 then age gaps arent hugely important, but when the term statutory rape can be used its just best to back off and let this one go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

i'd say yes - especially in light of recent events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

I would definitely say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

nevermind that,get in there, 2-3 yrs is nothing. I met my gf when I was just gone 18 and she was 15 nearly 16 though, and we're going out nearly 5yrs now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shinners21

I was 15 when I started going out with my first serious bf... He was 18 at the time. He turned 19 the following Otober and I was 16 in the November! We went out for almost 6 years so I wouldnt say the gap matters. Depends on what kind of person she is and you are etc...

Just remember she wont be heading out to pubs / clubs with you so that could effect you in the long run!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thread carefully, take things slowly. Thats the only advice I can offer in a situation like this, however, whilst I wouldn't say write it off immediately on age, just...be very careful about how you play it.

two words: statutory rape

the age thing may not be a problem, but the legality of "stuff" that may happen is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shinners21

Did you ever think that he mightn't be getting with her just to have sex??? He said he likes her / she is a really nice girl etc...... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Ask her out on the day she turns 16. In light of recent events and the current publicitiy surrounding statutory rape you would want to be very careful at the moment, all it would take is for one of her family members not to like you to report you to the guards.

afaik, the age of consent is 17 and not 16

::::::edit::::::

maybe you are right shinners - stranger things have happened. but then again maybe you're not. either way it's a possibility that cannot be ignored. i was just making the guy aware of the legality of doing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Bear in mind that under the new laws that Mr McDowell has introduced, you can't even kiss her too passionately without the possibility (theoretically) of facing rape charges. It's ridiculous, but it's the law at the moment.

Realistically (as in, morally), there is isn't really a huge problem with you going out with her. You just need to be very very careful and take things very very slowly. I mean, I've been in similar situations before and if you give it time, it will probably work out. Maybe even just wait until she hits 16.

Sorry about the mixed advice, but it's hard to know what to say!

Edit: The legal age for consent for any sex act at this time is 17. That could refer to nearly anything imaginable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sorry, I forgot to say that i live in the UK, where the age of consent is 16.

I'm thinking of taking it slowly until she's 16, and even then, im not going to just want to have sex with her.. I'm not that kind of guy.

I've not actually called her yet after she gave me her number, i've got to have some time to think about it.

From talking to her for a good 6 hours yesterday, she seems pretty mature.

I dont mind age gaps, but I do mind that she's under 16... so maybe i should just take it really slowly until she's 16 then go from there..

Still a bit miffed on what to do :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

If her parents are cool with you then I'd use that as a gauge.

Statutory rape charges would "often" be brought by a parent not happy that their child is not being lead astray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

[Edit]Just seen post about being in UK, well in that case just wait till she turns 16, and it should be ok. Could still have a problem with her family though, but at least you won't be breaking any laws by sleeping with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

dude, go for it! you sound like you are willing to wait. a young relationship like that can benefit from a wait for sex too, give you both time to grow with no pressure. Just be respectful of her young age (she's only growing up) and respectful of the law and you'll be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Eh..........

She's not "too young".
    She's "Illegal".

The only answer is leave it alone. You're 18, meet someone who you can legally touch and who can do other things, like vote, or drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

this is a tricky one alright, I mean she is only 15! That's kind of still a little girl, My B/F little sister is 15 & that exactly as I see her, A little girl. I know it's only 13 years but 3 years for a girl is a long time, her whole body will change in that period of time. I'm sorry i just think she's that bit too young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I went out with a 19 year old when I was 15 and it was grand. However,I was quite a mature 15 year old and he was a bit of an immature 19 year old.

It really depends on the person tbh.

Also,in my situation,the biggest problem was that,as much as I loved this guy,after two years I wanted something new. He would have been happy to stay together but I was too young for all that and wanted to experience new things.

So beware that this might cause you problems down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Get to know her before having sex. Otherwise I don't think there is a problem with an 18yo and a 15yo going out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea I think it would be ok ! Aslong as like shes knows what shes doing (not sexual) just in normal terms for going out with someone !

Oh I think you should beware yes they are likely to stray when they get older... As ladyJ said she wanted to experience new things... Im 17 going on 18 and had my first serious gf who was 15 going 16 ! It last for 6 months and in that time we always told each it was going to last for years !

only nearly a month ago she broke up with me and is with another guy (A better looking older guy) I was really screwed up... still am I cried last night sure !

Just to let you know it may not happen though and I wish you luck :D;) !

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭madness

Go for it if you like her and she likes you......it was not all that long ago in ireland that 15 year old girls from poor families were married off to 50year old farmers by priests, to be honest in this day and age there is not many 15year olds that are still virgins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

Go for it... i would avoid telling people though, questions may be asked. And i wouldn't go to 2nd base at least until shes reached 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭isolde

i think she's too young for you. if it was my little sister, i wouldn't be very happy about it.

you know her a day. walk away before you get in any deeper.

i'm 23, and can't imagine even going out with a 20 year old. at this point in your life, 15 is just too young.

Advertisement