Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crazy e36 bimmer prices?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

how are they nuts ? you are comparing Saloon E46s to Coupe E36s. Saloons are always worth less. Then you show convertibles, which always fetch a premium, and on top of that, one of them is an "individual" which fetches even more of a premium ! (although it is wearing fake alpinas)

although i wouldn't buy any of those, its got to be an M3, and if you really want a BMW, take a trip to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,083 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i know saloons are worth less, but i dont see how an older model coupe thats a year older than a new model saloon can be worth 2k more?

just showing the convertibles to highlight how expensive the coupe was (ie not much less than the convertibles)

i actually like that individual convertible and have been enquiring, why do u think the alpinas are fake? (cos they would only come on an alpina car im guessing :))

and an m3 isnt insurable for me atm :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

You're not sick of the Golf already?

no not at all, just like changing if it doesnt cost me much, i just love cars really :D

Fair nuff.

It takes me about 6mths to get to like a car, and then once I am used to it I like to keep it. Don't ask. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cyrus wrote:
    no not at all

Yeah, right :p

Finally getting a real car :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cyrus wrote:
    i actually like that individual convertible and have been enquiring, why do u think the alpinas are fake? (cos they would only come on an alpina car im guessing :))
    You can get original alpinas without having to get the car tuned by them. If they are fake alpinas then it was a cost based decision.

anyone any opinions on the wine convertible? a good or a bad buy? overpriced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rag-tops allways command a premium, if you want total madness try picking up a clean w124 Merc convertable for less than 20 grand, the same year saloon can be yours from about 3000 in good order.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cyrus wrote:
    anyone any opinions on the wine convertible? a good or a bad buy? overpriced?

Do you want an auto box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

mike65 wrote:
    Rag-tops allways command a premium, if you want total madness try picking up a clean w124 Merc convertable for less than 20 grand, the same year saloon can be yours from about 3000 in good order.

Mike.

Wish i had 20k floating about..... nice automobile !! :D

oleras wrote:
    Wish i had 20k floating about..... nice automobile !! :D

Should have taken out that SSIA. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

maidhc wrote:
    Should have taken out that SSIA. :)

If i had, i know where it would be going...... speaking of which, i think im gona start a thread re: what cars "appreciate" in value.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

kbannon wrote:
    You can get original alpinas without having to get the car tuned by them. If they are fake alpinas then it was a cost based decision.

The valve stem is on the outside of the wheel - so they're replicas. The genuine one have a hollow spoke and the air goes in under the centre cap.

The 328i Coupe is a sports, which is again going to be worth quite a bit. Its also very low mileage, and a desirable colour. Looks like it has full climate control and onboard computer, so I reckon its reasonably priced given that its a garage sale. You'd get an identical one in from the UK for slightly less. (a quick autotrader.co.uk search only brings up one 328i sport with less than 60k on the clock - and its STG£8K (€11.5K) and VRT is a sniff under €3K

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

ondafly wrote:
    although i wouldn't buy any of those, its got to be an M3, and if you really want a BMW, take a trip to the UK.

Is the UK best for such things? I'd quite like to get a 330 whenever my aging 328 gives up the ghost although that probably won't be for a few years yet. Don't see many 330 saloons/estates advertised in Ireland, they all seem to be coupes.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

opus wrote:
    Is the UK best for such things? I'd quite like to get a 330

Absolutely. Very few 330s were sold here but in the UK they were selling well. Only a tiny minority of people in this country seem to want to own a 3 liter petrol engined car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The e36 is a wonderful, adept vehicle. I know many people who prefer e36's to e46's. I personally prefer the e46 to the e90, but that's my preference. Several friends of mine bought e36's in the UK. For what they would have paid here for a 320i, they ended up with 325ci, Auto, Leather, Climate, CD Changer, all original alloys, FSH, original body work - nothing had been colour coded, etc. Well worth going to the UK to get a pristine, unmolested example of an e36, or e46.

MHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    Absolutely. Very few 330s were sold here but in the UK they were selling well. Only a tiny minority of people in this country seem to want to own a 3 liter petrol engined car

Plus most sold here would be basic enough spec, no SE or Sport models at the time, most things were on the options list over here.

Thinking about it, those cars are damn good value, and cheap enough to insure too (according to the hibernian calculator it would cost me about 1k TPFT)

However if something like a tiptronic gearbox fails is it curtains for the car and your entire investment? A new one is surely out of the question, and s/h parts are surely harder to get than for your averge Golf or Mondeo?

• Advertisement

yeah maidhc ins isnt too bad for some reason?

that last one linked is a monstrosity sweet jesus whats wrong with people?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

bazz26 wrote:
    You think that is bad, look at what this guy is asking for this yoke:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=458033

ROFLMAO!!!! :D :rolleyes:

Just cause that guy spent about 10k fecking up his car, doesnt mean someone else will be willing to pay for it..

What a waste of a car imo

Tox

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Yummy!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

unkel wrote:
    bazz26 wrote:
    Plus most sold here would be basic enough spec, no SE or Sport models at the time, most things were on the options list over here.

Cheers for the info, will probably go down the UK route when the time comes in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

ROFLMAO!!!!

Just cause that guy spent about 10k fecking up his car, doesnt mean someone else will be willing to pay for it..

What a waste of a car imo

Tox

what kind of idiot puts "showroom condition" on a car as modified as that.... show me a BMW showroom where I can spec that car....

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Mac 3

I think I'm going to be sick....

You could give some people a million euro and the one thing they can never buy is taste..

Oh well, each to his own. just not my cup of tea..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

When I see a car like that, it screams "I've been crashed to the point of almost being written off, and salvaged in this form"...
    Surely nobody would take a perfectly good car of that kind of value and abuse it like that unless it was crashed or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Gotta respect him for not putting the obligutary "M" or lexus rear lights on it

colm_mcm wrote:
    Gotta respect him for not putting the obligutary "M" or lexus rear lights on it

No Lexus lights Colm but I think it does have the €40 "M" badge:
    sarsfield3BLU233.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

maidhc wrote:
    However if something like a tiptronic gearbox fails is it curtains for the car and your entire investment? A new one is surely out of the question, and s/h parts are surely harder to get than for your averge Golf or Mondeo?

That's another reason people buy BMW. There are still parts available for the 2002, hell, we even sourced parts for an Isetta Bubble car before.

Advertisement