Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Harry Potter Book

• 04-07-2006 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

What is your favourite Harry Potter Book and why? I think mine is probably the 5th book because it was the longest. I just loved the occlumency lessons with Snape for some reason.

I couldn't change the are to is in the poll question. Sorry.

Which of the Harry Potter Books are your favourite? 27 votes

HP and the Philosophers Stone
    0%
    HP and the chamber of secrets
    11%
    AnitaMcCluskeystevveygDenisocal 3 votes
    Hp and the prisoner of Azkaban
    0%
    HP and the Goblet of Fire
    22%
    youcancallmealZapp Branniganr3nu4ltakolacoidiHoratio's Girl 6 votes
    HP and the order of the phoenix
    48%
    RockeretteTar.AldarionThe BolloxQuacklesemeraldstarHugglesDarthWraakJelloGiruillaDoomspellalibSlow Showqwerty93 13 votes
    HP and the Half Blood Prince
    18%
    Faithbutters scotchNADAoRlyYaRlynando 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

My vote went to ...Half-Blood Prince, although I don't really have a favourite. Personally, I think that books four and five are just as good. All have their strengths and weaknesses, I suppose I just liked the fact that the whole Voldemort thing was out in the open, as well as the pensieve lessons with Dumbledore. I also found Harry slightly less annoying than usual in book six (note the word slightly:) ).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh, that's a toughy. It came to down to a choice between 3, 5 and 6, but 5 won, followed by 6.

Love them all, though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

I can't believe that I'm the only one that has voted for No.4 (so far). I just love the Tri Wizard Cup wow what a great book:D But it's shortly followed by 5 and 6!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

deffo book 4, it was so well written, I mean when you re-read it you are like
    "how the **** did I not suspect Mad-Eye?" I especially love the part in the book when Mad-eye finds Harry stuck in the stairs and sees the map "this is... some map, Potter"
    brilliant :D

I wil agree that ...Goblet Of Fire was probably the best written, I still think that six has a bit of an edge though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

Yay! I thought I was going to be on my own there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

The latest books get bigger and they get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Goblet of Fire was definitely my favourite, it was so well pieced together. So much going on and I just couldn't put it down. Of course, I found it hard to put any of them down but GoF had something extra. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I am surprised nobody has voted for the Philisophers stone yet! I thought it was everybodies favourite! Not surprised with Chamber of Secrets though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Would definitely have to be The Prisoner of Azkaban. Love when Lupin and Sirius come into it! You have to admit that's where the story starts getting really complicated. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

mine was Goblet of Fire definitely, just loved it. good length, lots of stuff happening.
    and Order of teh Phoenix comes a close 2nd, really moved the story on well, deadly, and left be really wanting to find out what happens.

but what im surprised with is that #6 has the most votes!

i was SO disappointed with it, bottom of my list...
    i found myself reading it going.. "right.. where is this going.."

im clearly in the minority, but i was.. yeah, just disappointed.

my order would be..:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Rockerette wrote:
    my order would be..:
    I would agree, No. 6 was a dissapointment, the other books had good stories and baddies, this one was just filler IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

yeah, thats what i thought. even though i have The Chamber.. as second from bottom there, i still enjoyed it about 10 times more that #6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Prisoner Of Azkaban for me.

I think Lupin and Sirius were well written into the series. And they're prolly my fav characters (apart from Dumbly)

NADA wrote:
    I am surprised nobody has voted for the Philisophers stone yet! I thought it was everybodies favourite! Not surprised with Chamber of Secrets though!

I first read ...Philosopher's Stone when I was twelve and it was great at the time, but now that I'm older (I'm now eighteen :) ) I find it really juvenile and, to be frank, rather poorly written. That said, I still really enjoy it to this day!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Half-blood prince without a doubt

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

odhran wrote:
    I first read ...Philosopher's Stone when I was twelve and it was great at the time, but now that I'm older (I'm now eighteen :) ) I find it really juvenile and, to be frank, rather poorly written. That said, I still really enjoy it to this day!

Yeah, I'm the exact same. It's not badly written, per se, but it is most definately aimed at a much younger audience than books 3+ are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Faith wrote:
    Yeah, I'm the exact same. It's not badly written, per se, but it is most definately aimed at a much younger audience than books 3+ are.

It as her first book and tbh its not a patch on the more recent ones. Its great that she has grown as an author through this series :D

TheGooner wrote:
    It as her first book and tbh its not a patch on the more recent ones. Its great that she has grown as an author through this series :D

I think she had to grow up because her audience did. No doubt Jo didn't want to risk alienating a massive slice of Harry Potter followers... Not that I'm insinuating that she's in it for the money or anything like that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

i was between 3, 4 and 6 but now that i think about it, it think it has to be Goblet. Such a great story!! 3 and 6 were excellent though too. Chamber is my least favourite. Of course it's still excellent though :D

• Advertisement

I'm surprised so many people have picked Book 4. I always find it a bit tough going, and always skip the entire start of it with the Quidditch World Cup.

Faith wrote:
    I'm surprised so many people have picked Book 4. I always find it a bit tough going, and always skip the entire start of it with the Quidditch World Cup.

Yeah I know, the start is really dull at times. We get it, people like Quidditch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

the last two are definately my favourites!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

GoF was her first book that was biggish. I thought that they would never get to hogwarts in it. I still loved it all the same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Four, two is my least liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Horatio's Girl

Mine wud be The Prisoner Of Askaban or The Half Blood Prince! I am a big Snape fan and he is the key character in the 6th one. in the 3rd he is just so cool:cool: ! Snape rox! Slytherin 4ever! (sad i know!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Slurms wrote:
    Prisoner Of Azkaban for me.

I think Lupin and Sirius were well written into the series. And they're prolly my fav characters (apart from Dumbly)

Yep, me too. I particularly love the Dementors. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

hurl /hl/ n. LME. [f. the vb.] 1 a A rush or swirl of water; rushing water. rare. LME. b A noisy rush or fall, esp. of stones etc. down a slope. Sc. M16. 2 Strife; commotion. LME-M17. 3 The action or an act of hurling; a violent throw or cast. M16. 4 A ride in a wheeled vehicle; a drive. Sc.

Advertisement