Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators - intersting bit in Irish Shooter's Digest

Options
  • 04-07-2006 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Interesting couple of paragraphs in the current Irish Shooter's Digest on the Irish solution to an Irish problem that is the moderator situation here.

Interesting in that it paraphrases the EU directive 2003/10/EC Article 5 thus:

In essence, European law now REQUIRES every rifle which is used anywhere where people are at "work" to be fitted with a means of reducing the noise "at source".

It further states that there are no national derogations to this directive and that EU directives take precedence over national or regional legislation.

More wasted Garda, shooter and court time ahead I feel......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

workplace= "silencer"
    farm=wokplace

farm = silencer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭17HMR

Exactly.....

Which is why I believe that moderators should be compulsory (!) on health & safety grounds (and general good neighbourly grounds too) and not shrouded in ninja-assassin myth and superstition.

But then, this is Ireland.....

By the way - anyone know where I could get a professional threading job done on a heavy barrel for a mod...ahem, muzzle brake ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

couldn't agree more with both of you, it saves your hearing, it is less intusive into peoples lives. It effects other wild life less.

There are so many good reasons for it, why exactly do they have to be licensed seperately.

EDIT: its nice to talk about some actual shooting stuff rather than politics. Roll on September and November

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I was more worried by the few paragraphs before it. I've spoken to Cal about it and he says that the plumber he identifies with the 18% hearing loss in one ear and 11% in the other and who he then says is illegally using a silencer is an amalgamation of lots of different stories from around the country. Which would make me wonder what is and what is not fictional in the column, to be honest.

However, on the topic of health&safety legislation being used to bring in sound moderators, a few things come to mind:
    • If they were so good for accuracy, you'd see them in the Olympics
    • Health and safety applies to the workplace, which means you must be an employee, not a recreational shooter; which in practical terms means being employed by someone in the government to shoot. That's why students can be given chairs and workstations for computer courses that don't meet H&S ergonomics regulations despite the later health problems incurred - they're not employees.
    • The last superintendent asked for a licence for a silencer on H&S grounds, if I recall correctly, said "go buy some earplugs".

It's definitely an interesting approach, but I wouldn't be taking it on my own money I think. I wish Cal all the best in his court case to get a moderator with this approach, but it wouldn't strike me as being the best approach to it.

bull you dont have to be an employee to be covered by H&S

• Advertisement

You do if it's workplace H&S.

Benchrests improve accuracy but don't feature heavily in the Olympics :D

Seriously though, I can empathise with Cal's composite character. I bought my .22LR about 10 years ago. It came threaded, there was a cheap and cheerful plastic Parker Hale moderator in the cabinet at the paypoint. I asked the guy if I could buy it and was there any legal issues to worry about and he said "No problem". So I bought it and have used it since. And it does me grand for sub-sonic crow and rabbit shooting.

Now, after all I've seen on here since I signed up this year I can assure you I'm a lot more discrete about showing it in public but I'll be damned if I'm going to try getting paperwork for a plastic tube with some springs and washers in it at risk of loose it and, having stuck my head above the parapet, drawing unnecessary attention my way in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Vegeta wrote:
    EDIT: its nice to talk about some actual shooting stuff rather than politics. Roll on September and November

You said it..! :D

17HMR wrote:
    Benchrests improve accuracy but don't feature heavily in the Olympics :D
    True, but they break the rule about no extra support for the rifle past your arm and the sling! You mightn't be able to use moderators though, now that I check the rulebook:
    7.4.2.2 Barrels and extension tubes must not be perforated in any way. Any construction or device inside the barrel or tubes, other than rifling and chambering for the cartridge or pellet, is prohibited.

Now I'm curious - if you took a properly set up and adjusted Anschutz 2013 with batch tested ammo and had it cut for a moderator and fitted one, what effect would you get on accuracy (allowing for re-selecting batch tested ammo, of course, as you've just messed about with the barrel)?

On the rest of your post 17, erm. You've just said that you're guilty of a criminal offence under the firearms act. May I suggest the edit button?

Guilty ?
    Maybe. Who knows with the law the way it is.
    Certainly, I bought the can in good faith having been advised by a prefessional in the field that there were no issues to be considered - and that will be my story if I'm ever challenged.

Can't say the powers that be have ever gone to any great trouble to point out what exactly is and isn't illegal in relation to moderators either.

And anyway - who do the Gardai think buys all that sub-sonic ammunition ?

:)

• Advertisement

who do the Gardai think buys all that sub-sonic ammunition ?
    Target shooters. Who don't use moderators in general.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Quillo

Hope those target shooters are shooting on an "approved range".....

'nuff said ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

What will a silencer do to accruracy?Nothing if it is set up correctly.Apart from making the gun somwhat more muzzle heavier,and if it is an intergal silencer maybe re mounting the sights on the outside tube.
    Ironic that the silencer is being dammed for it's evil purposes when it was designed by Hiram Maxim to be used for exactly it's current purposes of noise pollution reduction.
    ASFICS the law here deals with "silencers" not sound suppressors or sound moderators,and it would be best to talk in those terms,as those items dont require liscensing,plus I would be most intrested to see whatthe defination under Irish law a silencer,moderator or suppressor is .

just talkin with someone else about this can one be called a flash compensator as the flash is dulled when using one the reduction in noise is a by product

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Or a recoil moderator? I know that studies have shown that some reduce recoil by about 20%
    of course the reduction in noise is merely a welcome side effect...

The "definition" of a silencer seems to be "a silencer".....

See below in red - lifted directly from Sparks fine work at:

http://www.wilkinstowntargetshootingclub.org/Documents/FirearmsActAmended/PostCJB/PreCommittee/FirearmsAct.html

Section 1
    Definitions and interpretation.

In the Firearms Acts, 1925 to 1990, "firearm" means—

( a ) a lethal firearm or other lethal weapon of any description from which
    any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged;

( b ) an air gun (which expression includes an air rifle and an air pistol) or
    any other weapon incorporating a barrel from which metal or other slugs can be
    discharged;

( c ) a crossbow;

( d ) any type of stun gun or other weapon for causing any shock or other
    disablement to a person by means of electricity or any other kind of energy
    emission;

( e ) a prohibited weapon as defined in section 1 (1) of the
    Firearms Act, 1925;

( f ) any article which would be a firearm under any of the foregoing
    paragraphs but for the fact that, owing to the lack of a necessary component
    part or parts, or to any other defect or condition, it is incapable of
    discharging a shot, bullet or other missile or of causing a shock or other
    disablement (as the case may be);

( g ) save where the context otherwise requires, any component part of any
    article referred to in any of the foregoing paragraphs and, for the purposes
    of this definition, the following articles shall be deemed to be such
    component parts as aforesaid.

(i) telescope sights with a light beam, or telescope sights with an
    electronic light amplification device or an infra-red device,
    designed to be fitted to a firearm specified in paragraph (a),
    (b), (c) or (e), and

(ii) a silencer designed to be fitted to a firearm specified in
    paragraph (a), (b) or (e).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

This of course means that the courts get to define what a silencer is, which is not something I'd like to risk my freedom trying to predict the outcome of.

Agreed.

Hence the anonymity inspired bravely demonstrated by myself here in discussing the matter......

Actually. On faceless posting....
    Two reasons why I keep my personal details to my self on here (I post freely under my own name on other boards):

1. It strikes me that this forum could be used by criminals as an on-line firearms location service... "Ah, John Smith in Dalkey has a Glock19, John Murphy in Macroom has a CZ75" as Jonny Crim ticks off his weekend shopping list.

2. I can openly discuss the sometimes daft legal situation without having the boys in blue come knocking at my door over something possibly self incriminating said here.

Reason 1 is the very same for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

civdef wrote:
    Reason 1 is the very same for me.

Exact same for me, I am sure alot of us have bumped into each other on the shooting circuit and it is nice to know who is who, yet self security and safety prevents me from giving too much away on an open forum.

Need to point out here, by the way, that I had thought that as Cal was talking about ways to approach a court case to get a licence for a silencer, that he was taking one himself - he's since told me that he isn't. Sorry for the confusion!

dont think like that once i have your Ip i can do a search for you and find you

Lookatthisagain.jpg

all comp details can be read easaly

It's not quite that straightforward maglite, though in theory it can be done. However, what if you post from an internet cafe? What if you post from work? It's hard enough to tie sock puppets together - tracing someone from their forum posts back to their home address would be much much harder, and frankly, only the boards.ie admins would have the kind of access needed to do so with any degree of success.

Personally, I'd add a third reason for anonymity to the list - in that it's been my experience that complaints against a club or association have led to the complainant being penalised for complaining rather than the complaint being welcomed as necessary feedback!

maglite wrote:
    dont think like that once i have your Ip i can do a search for you and find you

Lookatthisagain.jpg

all comp details can be read easaly

that's cool and all, it did get my computer OS and browser correct but my ip aint that

How exactly would you get my IP?

Now the authorities certainly could, a quick warrant served on the relevant people in charge of the various servers involved (presuming they're all located in jurisdictions where that is possible) would identify where the post came from.

it is

and sparks i tend to disagree ever heard of hacking
    sent you a pm on the subject a while back

maglite wrote:
    it is

and sparks i tend to disagree ever heard of hacking
    sent you a pm on the subject a while back

seriously man, when i open a terminal window in linux and type the command to show me my ip, its not that. Maybe my computer mental block is stopping me from seing something obvious like the ip you posted is a server here at work that wont let you access my comp directly or something like that

maybe are any didgets right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Quillo

Most SME's have one router with a fixed IP and this uses DHCP to dynamically assign IP numbers to users on the network. All you'll see externally is the router IP.

So best guess you can make is some employee in the company posted via that router - Can't see that standing up too well in court :)

And most home users don't have a static IP - again its dynamically by their service provider.

Not to mention WiFi hotspots and Internet cafes...

Advertisement