Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators - intersting bit in Irish Shooter's Digest

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Jacobo

Quillo wrote:
    Not to mention WiFi hotspots and Internet cafes...
    Or anonymizing proxies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Not to be a D!CK

This is a SHOOTING FORUM, as riveting as proxys are etc( im a "geek" by the way before anyone starts), maybe a new thread should be started in the forum or in the computers forum????, just an idea, the mods will prob do it themselves

Its just this isnt about moderators!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No, but it was linked, albiet tenously :D

Fair point though.
    *nudges thread back towards topic*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

so who i sbuyin me a flash compensatior or recoile reducer then???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Mags,
    You are buying a sound suppressor or modifer .Ok
    I had this checked out,the big trouble is that a "silencer"under that act is not defined as what it is or it's function is. There is CASE LAW on this in Ireland that an article in Irish law must be defined before it is possible to decide on.There was a case on this in the 80s regarding the defination of what a tractor is.we all know what a generic tractor is,but is a pickup with a weed sprayer on it and baloon tyres a tractor??It is under Irish law,and this case was won on the fact that the law must define what an article is.
    All the law says are "silencers" must be registerd with a special permit.Has anyone got one of these BTW,if so please post it minus your vital statistics,I would love to see what it looks like.It says nothing about a suppressor,modifier, moderator flash hider. Example US law defines a silencer as any device desinged to suppress,muffle,modify or silence the report of any firearm.Can that be any clearer???There was a time that US law did not have the modifer defination,so it was possible to circumvent the 1932 NFA,by ordering the modifer from the UK.

Got to breifly read Cal wards article on silencers,he is correct, it is an Irish solution to an Irish problem.Ignore it until somone makes a booboo somwhere.

As for the anynomity on postings;It would be easier for a crook to break into a rural garda station and steal the firearms register,thus giving them a whole catolouge for a district of nickable guns. Than going thru all the computor address trace etc malarkey.

BTW you cannot self incriminate yourself on the internet,at least in the Western world,[apart from the UK as they have the RIP act 2000] due to the difficulty of proving that YOU actually typed the incriminating whatever.
    Nor is it that easy to get warrents to demand copies of email.Sounds good in theory,not that easy in practise.OK we could be pulled in our posts via the UK GCHQ monitoring of internet or the US NSAs post in Muswell hill.But belive me folks ,they are REALLY NOT INTRESTED in us.They have more important things to keep an eye on like Al Queida or Iraqui terrorists ,or fanatics in the UK than a bunch of law abiding shooters in Ireland.Not that AQ ,etc use modern technology for having an ol chat about the latest head cutting.As a matter of fact if it was so easy to locate posters etc by means described.AQ and Iraq should be well over by now.AAMOF they are beating the US and UK intell in cyberwarefare.Ok enough Cyber computor babble,back to shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭17HMR

Must say I've never seen this "Silencer permit".
    Never met anyone that had one or had seen one either.

Seems like Cal has it right in his view that there are a few in use without paperwork !

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/hsl_pdf/2004/hsl04-01.pdf

Well worth the read and VERY MUCH on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Very much on topic GS, but I'm not sure it proves the point - it specifically says in the conclusion that moderators don't do much for the noise level caused by the actual bullet, and thus the peak noise forward of the line isn't much affected; so the moderator would seem to be mostly for the shooter's benefit. At which point, the "use earplugs" line comes up again.

Advertisement