Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympiakos' Loss Liverpool's Gain?

• 04-07-2006 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Article speaks for itself - could be good news - god knows we could do with a season of fewer games.

From the Liverpool Echo:

LIVERPOOL could be handed a place in the Champions League proper this season -without the need to play a qualifying tie - after FIFA suspended all Greek teams from international competition.

Olympiakos were originally in the draw for the group stages of the Champions League - to be made on August 24.

But yesterday's announcement has frozen the involvement of all Greek clubs in European competition, and put England's friendly against Greece on August 16 under threat.

If the suspension is prolonged, Liverpool are the highest ranked team in the third qualifying round and an option for UEFA could be to promote the Reds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

I would imagine they would promote the higest seed that didn't have their max allocation through automatically. My reckoning thats Ajax. Dutch league only has 1 auto spot.

England already have 2 teams through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Why have the Greek teams been suspended?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Political interference in their national association apparantly, but I was not interested enough to read the full story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Bacchus wrote:
    Why have the Greek teams been suspended?
    Not yet as far as I know, just seems speculation of possible follow-on of other actions been taken against greek football. I reckon it's unlikely they'll change club teams positions though I'd be happy for Liverpool to get the automatic spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Greece have been suspended from ALL football activities - national and club, because basically their government is running the Greek FA.

• Advertisement

Greece have been suspended from ALL football activities - national and club, because basically their government is running the Greek FA.
    Sweet, must admit to not following the story properly too :o
    Good thing I don't know any greeks so I don't have to feel guilty about it - and if Liverpool do get the slot hopefully there's not too many rule bending taunts this time :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

This could be a warning shot, giving the Greeks enough time to panic and get their house in order in time.

Bateman wrote:
    This could be a warning shot, giving the Greeks enough time to panic and get their house in order in time.

Thing is, they've already had a year. They've known this has been hanging over them and done nothing about it, honestly I don't think they're going to be able to resolve it in the space of a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Thing is, they've already had a year. They've known this has been hanging over them and done nothing about it, honestly I don't think they're going to be able to resolve it in the space of a few weeks.

Perhaps not, but it's amazing what a good old piece of drastic action such as banning can do in terms of speeding up these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

This is very very lazy jounalism.

Intermilan are higher than Liverpool and they are in the 3rd round qualifier.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

If anyone goes up it would be them.

Emmo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

But Inter Milan would get through automatically if Juve get relegated, non?

SofaKing wrote:
    But Inter Milan would get through automatically if Juve get relegated, non?

But if Juventus are relegated does that mean they're banned from Europe too? As far as I can see, it's an Italian FA issue and UEFA haven't said anything on it yet.

They (Inter) might get the place but that hasnt happened yet.

Lazy jounalism.

Sure if every team in England go bankrupt and are deducted 20 points then Liverpool will win the league.

It might happen with the debts some clubs are carrying but it hasnt happend, and is most unlikely too.

Sometimes the Echo can be a real **** rag.

So basically what the paper should have said is

If Juventus or AC Milan are found guilty of match fixing by the Italian FA and the teams are punished, and this punishment includes the loss of their European Champions League spot this may allow Intermilan to be awarded an automatic qualification spot for this years champions league.

This in turn could lead to Liverpool being the highest placed seed in the 3rd qualifying round which may now lead to Liverpool being granted the Greek champions automatic qualification spot due to FIFA's embargo on the Greek FA which is yet to be ratified by UEFA.

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Emmo wrote:

If Juventus or AC Milan are found guilty of match fixing by the Italian FA and the teams are punished, and this punishment includes the loss of their European Champions League spot this may allow Intermilan to be awarded an automatic qualification spot for this years champions league.

This in turn could lead to Liverpool being the highest placed seed in the 3rd qualifying round which may now lead to Liverpool being granted the Greek champions automatic qualification spot due to FIFA's embargo on the Greek FA which is yet to be ratified by UEFA.

Emmo

Thats some good reporting; makes things a lot clearer :)

My understanding is that countries move up the order rather than teams so Liverpool need Chelsea or United not to take part for them not to be in the group stages.

That would apply where 1 team from a country isnt taking part, like in Italy with Intermilan.

Its expected that Inter will take one of the automatic qualification places for the Champs league.

Where an entire country isnt taking part then those places will be allocated to the teams below it, ie for example if Greece go out then there automatic place goes to the highest seed in the 3rd qualifying round and then there is also there 3rd round qualifying game.

This years champions league qualification is very odd, all the rules are being tested and bent if not broken.

Personally I dont think it will happen as the Champions League Final is due to be held where this year? Thats right, Athens Greece.

Emmo

Emmo wrote:
    Personally I dont think it will happen as the Champions League Final is due to be held where this year? Thats right, Athens Greece.

Emmo
    Move it to Cardiff perhaps? There'll be a gap with play-offs and cup finals presumably being back at webley. Plus UEFA have already invited Cardiff to apply for a final despite them not meeting some of the hospitality area requirements - could be a quick fix if needed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

TheMonster wrote:
    My understanding is that countries move up the order rather than teams so Liverpool need Chelsea or United not to take part for them not to be in the group stages.
    Exactly. Qualification for the CL is based on your country ranking. Club seeding is only used to seed the teams in the qualifying and group stage. Not very well researched by the Echo, especially considering they aren't even the highest seedee team in the 3rd qualifying round.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Exactly. Qualification for the CL is based on your country ranking. Club seeding is only used to seed the teams in the qualifying and group stage. Not very well researched by the Echo, especially considering they aren't even the highest seedee team in the 3rd qualifying round.
    thought so
    what would happen regarding the Italian situation?
    If all teams were relegated would Italy be allowed submit 4 teams (bumping up 3 teams) or 1 team (Inter).

Feck it just have it in Croke Park!

In as far as the article goes it was lazy.

It depends on the out come of the Italian FA's investigation and The Greek FA still being suspended when the 2nd round draw comes as I feel they will bump up someone from the 2nd round into the third and someone from the 3rd into the group stages proper.

Liverpool should depend on getting a 2 legged Champs League qualifier in and just concentrate on winning that.

If they get bumped then great for them.

Emmo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

A CL qualifier really is nothing for Liverpool but an extra bit of cash, the chances of them losing the match are absolutely tiny.
    Everton and Newcastle messed up cause they weren't seeded and then got a tough draw.

Accross two legs they should beat whoever it is but its not as simple as you make out.

They could get Fiorintina, Fenerbache, Ossasuna, Spartak Moscow, Hearts, FC Kobenhavn, Macabi Haifa, Austria Wien, Standard Liege.

Thats assuming some of those come through their 2nd rounds games.

Some tuff teams.

Emmo

In fact we lost the home leg of a qualifier last season. As long as it doesn't go pear-shaped it's a competitive pre-season friendly but you'd rather not have the risk factor involved.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

lost the home leg the last 2 seasons in fact in the third round.........

Correct on both counts.

I would fancy us accross two legs to beat anyone in the 3rd round, even the seeded teams.

That said it would be nicer to not have it hanging over the head.

Maybe the draw will be kind? its held on the 28/07/06 this year.

Games held on the 8th / 9th of August and return legs on the 22nd / 23rd of August.

Emmo

Advertisement