Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB unsolicited calls?

Options
  • 04-07-2006 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi y'all,
    Just a confusing question. I've had 7 calls since last friday from a withheld number, which hung up on me the first time i answered it. After that i didn't bother taking it, until last night at 8pm i got another one. I thought flip this, and answered. There was a pause and then someone asked me if this was 'my name'. I said it was. They said they were calling from AIB Graduate Services in Kildare and asked me to confirm (ie tell them) my address. I was SO bloody annoyed that I hung up. Now, i think it may have been some sort of gangster trying to get my account details or something off me. I have had no contact from AIB warning about such calls and indeed they have NEVER called me at all... Just the fact that the number was withheld and it was so late in the evening and they never left any msgs after the previous six calls. I'm gonna email AIB to check, but has this happened to anyone else (ie scams) and did i just over-react ...? Any opinions welcomed!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

scam

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Sounds like an auto dialler. The number is dialled randomly and if you answer the call is routed through to an operator hence the hang up when no operator available and the delay when there was one. Scam

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

AIB won't phone you about this kind of thing. They are likely to ask if you call them - for instance when I had graduated college I rang them about getting an account set up on my online banking, and they asked me then whether i was still a student or not, and changed my account over to a grad account.

If they really want your details etc they'll write to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

AIB are calling all their student customers, they do it this time every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

have u a student credit card

i dont but i do have a regular visa and any large transactions i make on it they usually end up calling me about 6-7pm to check it with me after answering a few secuirity questions like address and date of birth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Thanks for all the replies, no calls since!
    I just have an AIB laser card, no credit card. I don't use it much as it's not my main current account, i usually stick money in for savings/emergencies. I don't know if they know i'm a graduate, but i finished college in 2002 and they're only checking now?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Last summer I missed a few calls from a withheld number - called at around 8pm for about 3 days in a row. When I finally answered one it was a company calling on behalf of AIB to do some sort of 'customer satisfaction' survey - they didn't ask me for any personal details. Aounds feasible that AIB might contact you at that time but I don't understand why they'd need to 'confirm' your address.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭11.3 SECONDS

Ask your telephone service provider if your number can be added to the database of telephone numbers that wants to opt out of being cold called by telemarketing companies.

That can cut down on the number of those nuisance calls from peole selling you something that you do not want !

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

In reference to giving out your details

I am a customer of Ge Money. They have rang me three times over the years to talk about their offers etc but the person (always girls) always starts by asking me to confirm some personal details by asking me my DOB etc. I refuse saying you rang me you know who I am, but they try and insist, I say you could be anyone, always confusion on the other side (no answer in script) to that one. In the end I tell them to write to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Probably just a direct marketing agency.

To my eternal shame i used to work for one of those cold-calling direct marketing companies. (one of the most boring jobs in the world) We had to call people in the evening, because that is when people are free to talk.

The number is always withheld by the marketing agency to prevent you ringing back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement