Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capello resigns

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Been rumoured on the peninsula since the season was close to ending that he would be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

It looks certain that the great Predrag Mijatovic will be appointed Sports Director as well. What a dream team, Mijatovic and Capello running the show. Great times ahead for Madrid, wonderful news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Capello back in Madrid for his sins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I believe Messi has a buy-out clause of €100m. I really couldn't see him going to Madrid. I also expect Ronaldo to be at Man Utd next season. Zambrotta is very likely if Juve get relegated I would have thought, and would be the best replacement for Roberto Carlos imaginable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Juan Pablo wrote:
    It looks certain that the great Predrag Mijatovic will be appointed Sports Director as well. What a dream team, Mijatovic and Capello running the show. Great times ahead for Madrid, wonderful news.

Why? Capello's pedigree is not in question, but what kind of track record does Mijatovic have in his new role? Can we be sure that the new President will keep his nose out of team affairs? He is, after all an ex-stooge of Perez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I can't see Capello being naive enough to think he'll get Messi, even for 100m, from Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I was out tonight, I was informed that the sentence had been passed and Juve were relegated to Serie C with Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio down to B. I didn't have access to a tv to confirm it, was it a lie? I don't see any threads around and nothing on Sky's website...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I was out tonight, I was informed that the sentence had been passed and Juve were relegated to Serie C with Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio down to B. I didn't have access to a tv to confirm it, was it a lie? I don't see any threads around and nothing on Sky's website...
    No, the final decision hasn't been made yet. The prosecutor has called for Juve to be relegated to Serie C, start the season with a six point deduction and get stripped of their last two titles. He has also called for Lazio, Fiorentina and Milan to be relegated to Serie B and for both Lazio and Fiorentina to be docked fifteen points next season, while Milan may be docked three points.

Source: http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jul4i.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The prosecutor has called for Juve to be relegated to Serie C, start the season with a six point deduction and get stripped of their last two titles. He has also called for Lazio, Fiorentina and Milan to be relegated to Serie B and for both Lazio and Fiorentina to be docked fifteen points next season, while Milan may be docked three points.

Source: http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jul4i.html

Does this mean that technically in the eyes of the people trying to take these clubs down Ac Milan are the cleanest of the four clubs involved and hence the most likely to get off or prehaps get to stay in the top flight?

(Ac Milan fan asking)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Does this mean that technically in the eyes of the people trying to take these clubs down Ac Milan are the cleanest of the four clubs involved and hence the most likely to get off or prehaps get to stay in the top flight?

(Ac Milan fan asking)
    I'm not certain if that is definitely the case but the listed punishments do seem to reflect that alright. While I'm not saying the Milan are the cleanest club around by any means, I find it hard to believe that Berlusconi would have called for Juve to be stripped of their last two titles (as he did last May) if Milan were in real danger of getting indicted as well. Of course, I could be wrong and Berlusconi could have just been blustering to keep the spotlight off Milan.

If Milan are relegated and lose their stars, I will still support them regardless. I've been following them for 14 years and the little matter of a relegation won't stop me continuing that tradition. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Milan are the cleanest in terms of what is being accused of.

In terms of what gets convicted, it could end up any which way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The prosecutor is going way too far with that proposal. I hardly think Juve deserve to be relegated and Milan have done very little in terms of match fixing. Punish the bloody people involved and not the fans.

Juventus cheated, they essentially bribed refs in order to win two titles, probably more. They deserve to be relegated.

PHB wrote:
    Juventus cheated, they essentially bribed refs in order to win two titles, probably more. They deserve to be relegated.
    I don't think they bribed refs. If David Gill was getting specific referee's assigned to a proportion of Man U games and resigns after being found out I think it's him that deserves to be punished. Taken away the league title is a given but jailing the people involved would do more for getting rid of this kind of thing from Italian football.

Why do you think he wanted certain referees assigned to games?

PHB wrote:
    Why do you think he wanted certain referees assigned to games?
    I think that's obvious. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Capello signs for Real Madrid.
    MADRID, July 5 (Reuters) - Fabio Capello was named the new coach of Real Madrid on Wednesday, a day after resigning from Italian champions Juventus.

The 60-year-old Italian, who steered Juve to back-to-back league titles in his two-year spell at the club, will return to Real 10 years after his first stint with the Primera Liga side.

Capello first joined Real in 1996 after a contractual dispute with AC Milan and led the Spaniards to the league title in his only season at the club before deciding to return to Milan.

Real said that Capello would be presented offcially to the media at 1000 GMT on Thursday.

His former club Juventus are at the core of a match-fixing scandal in Italy and could be relegated if a sports tribunal finds against the club.

Mike.

I think that's obvious.

It is :) It's cause the refs were biased towards Juve. Why? Bribery :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Oh, the irony :)

Breaking news on the Sky Sports ticker, Chelsea want Madrid investigated for their approach for Robben. I'm sure he's not the only player that they've tapped up, the guy who lost the race for presidency supposedly talked to Cristiano Ronaldo himself.

PHB wrote:
    It is :) It's cause the refs were biased towards Juve. Why? Bribery :)
    Nobody knows whether they bribed refs but they've certainly not been charged with it and afaik no referee's have been suspended. Every referee is different and if Juve thought they were going to be hacked to bits they'd ask for a ref that would throw the cards out left right and centre. That's my take on it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

eirebhoy wrote:
    Nobody knows whether they bribed refs but they've certainly not been charged with it and afaik no referee's have been suspended. Every referee is different and if Juve thought they were going to be hacked to bits they'd ask for a ref that would throw the cards out left right and centre. That's my take on it anyway.

or referees that were the best. I.e. try to get like Collina for their European games because he'd be almost certain not to make a mistake, whereas a lesser known referee might make more mistakes and maybe cost them the game :)

Advertisement