Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netgear Wireless with Smart problem

• 04-07-2006 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭

I have recently moved over from NTL to Smart. I have set up the Smart modem and it is working fine however when I try and connect it to my wireless router (Netgear WGR614 v6) which I used without any problems with my NTL modem it works fine until I shut down the computer and turn everything off. When I start up again the wireless network does work. However if I go into the Router settings and don't change anything but just hit "Apply" within the "Wireless Settings" screen (which updates the settings) it works again.

As regards the settings of the network I have the AoLynk modem bridged to the router and I have the IP and DNS settings of the router set to dynamic

Can anyone shed any light on why it doesn't work when I start up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

When you say wireless network won't work do you mean that you can't get a wireless signal or that your internet connection doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Dowee

My internet connection doesn't work.

Have you configured Netgear to handle the PPPoE settings?

I can't see anywhere within Netgear where it specifically refers to PPPoE settings. I have setup the login and password details for my Smart account in there, I'm not sure what else I can or have to do

Thanks for the replies btw.

What model number is the netgear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Hows it going there irlrobins.... Drums fingers waiting for OP to post model number.... Dum de dum....

MC

Hows it going there irlrobins.... Drums fingers waiting for OP to post model number.... Dum de dum....
    :confused:
    Post count++?

MC

What??

Never mind, what model number is your Netgear router?

Netgear WGR614 v6

I mentioned this in my original post which is why I was questioning MunsterCycling's post.

• Advertisement

Agh! So you did. My apologies. I'll be back to you....

Ok a bit puzzled. I thought from your original post you weren't using PPPoE correctly. But reading thru the manual I think you are. However, the router doesn't allow you to set VPI or VCI, and I'm just wondering if this is an issue.

(I'm assuming you have the settings like the pic below, with your smart username and password entered, and the Smart DNS servers entered DNS server 1: 84.203.254.34 DNS Server 2: 84.203.255.34)

irlrobins wrote:
    (I'm assuming you have the settings like the pic below, with your smart username and password entered, and the Smart DNS servers entered DNS server 1: 84.203.254.34 DNS Server 2: 84.203.255.34)

My settings are like in the picture and I have my DNS settings set to "Get Automatically from ISP" ie. I haven't entered the DNS Server 1 & 2 details you mention above.

As you have probably worked out I'm not that familiar with PPPoE as this the first time I've come across it.

From some random website: "PPPoE is a specification for connecting the users on an Ethernet to the Internet through a common broadband medium, such as a single DSL line, wireless device or cable modem. All the users over the Ethernet share a common connection, so the Ethernet principles supporting multiple users in a LAN combine with the principles of PPP, which apply to serial connections."

Basically it's a network protocol. Anyway try entering the DNS servers into that config page and see if that helps. I presume that when the internet connection is down the wirless link between router and laptop still operates ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

My bad, that got past both of us, lol

MC

PS irl > posts++ ;)

I entered those DNS settings and it works now.

Thanks a million irlrobins!!

No prob. Hope it continues to do so.

Advertisement