Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recalls

Options
  • 04-07-2006 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

Just thought a thread posting news of recalls might be useful.

Volvo XC90 is currently subject to one to replace the Tie Rod Ball Joint in the steering. This affects all models from 2003 to 2006. Replacement of the part can be scheduled at a main dealer free of charge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To be honest, I don't see how constructive such a thread would be. Anyone who has a car that is affected by a recall will be contacted by the distributor, and any potential buyers can already easily access this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Gotta agree with colm_mcm here.

But it could be of benefit where a car is sold on. However, when a recall is issued it usually only involves a ceratin chassis number range and not all models as the press would have you believe when they get wind of such recalls. Most recalls are not 'critical' most are preventative of faults that can occour in obscure situations. Anything more significant would be of serious consequence to a manufacturer. Recalls are a monthly occurence with most manufacturers and, in fairness, show the manufacturers commitment to quality rather than the threat to the customers safety.

If you are in any doubt about whether your car is affected, you should contact your dealer. The problem with a forum is that no one's claims are 100% verifyiable, and just because one person's car is recalled, it doesn't mean that all versions of the model will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

so they will find out they are not affected when they ring the dealer and get teh good new, better than discovering your XC90 has no steering and a wall is approaching!!!

In fairness, the distributor sends out a letter to the registered owner of the car. If there is no response they usually ring you. The chances of having a car affected by a recall and not being contacted by the manufacturer or it not being mentioned when you're getting the car serviced.

Recalls are usually precautionary measures, and the problems usually only affect cars in a series of extreme conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

My dad had a 95 Vectra a few years baclk that was bought privately s/h and was never informed of the handbrake recall

It only takes a few minutes to talk to your service manager and discuss any possible past recalls. I don't know if there is any point in a thread devoted to recalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

they're mostly publicised in the national media anyhow, which is how we found out about the vectra

so anyway the general feeling is that a recalls thread would be a bit of a waste of time?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ninty9er wrote:
    they're mostly publicised in the national media anyhow, which is how we found out about the vectra
    I would disagree. Most recalls are not announced by the companys - only 'emergency cases are'.
    Alldata.com used to have a list of the recalls & Technical Service Bulletins for the various BMWs broken down by year and model - it has become paid for now :(
    colm_mcm wrote:
    so anyway the general feeling is that a recalls thread would be a bit of a waste of time?
    I think that given the amount of recalls per model, never mind range or manufacturer, it could become a tedious thread to go though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Well there was a recall on Citroen Picasso brake pedal sometime before I bought one privately last year. Only for the mention on www.citroenpicasso.org.uk/picasso, I'd not have known.

However, some recalls applicable in UK do not apply here - for example on the Picasso, there's a UK recall to get a guard fitted underneath the suspension springs, lest they corrode, fail and puncture a tyre. Because we don't salt our roads in the same way, the recall doesn't apply here. But had I not known about the recall, I'd not have known to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There are also things called workshop campaigns where modifications are carried out when a customer visits the workshop for a regular service - the customer is never told. Example : Oil pump campaign on 1998 1.8 20v Passats and A4s.

Advertisement