Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Providers in Tipperary

• 04-07-2006 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi guys, I want to get broadband and I live in Tipperary.The only broadband provider that I know provides in South Tipperary is Eircom which I find very expensive.Anyone know any other broadband providers that do South Tipp.It would be really helpful if anyone can give me some info on this.And I dont have a phoneline so need a provider where I can get broadband without having a phoneline.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

near the border with which county (Tipp has a few of these ) .
    http://www.westnet.ie/contact.html maybe

or

http://www.premierbb.ie/

or

http://www.permanet.ie/map1.asp

for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭shellie11

Sponge Bob wrote:
    near the border with which county (Tipp has a few of these ) .
    http://www.westnet.ie/contact.html maybe

or

http://www.premierbb.ie/

or

http://www.permanet.ie/map1.asp

for starters

Thanks, i rang them all, and none of them are doing it,in the town i live in, thanks for your help anyway :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

There are many eircom resellers that are a lot cheaper than eircom for practically the same thing. BT Ireland are the cheapest but they have terrible customer service and a very poor history of billing problems. Digiweb is cheap enough too. Most of those wireless companies would be as expensive and probably can't deliver as good a service as ADSL can provide (if you can get it).

Blaster99 wrote:
    There are many eircom resellers that are a lot cheaper than eircom for practically the same thing. BT Ireland are the cheapest but they have terrible customer service and a very poor history of billing problems. Digiweb is cheap enough too. Most of those wireless companies would be as expensive and probably can't deliver as good a service as ADSL can provide (if you can get it).

ADSL, that means that i need a phoneline yeh?? How much is cheap to you?? Cos id like something for no more then 29.99 a month

You need a phoneline capable of doing broadband, so no further than 4km's from the exchange on a good day.

BT does 1Mbps for €35 inc line rental. Digiweb is probably in the €40's for the same thing. Check their sites.

There are very few broadband options for less than €30, particularly not in the sticks.

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote:
    You need a phoneline capable of doing broadband, so no further than 4km's from the exchange on a good day.

BT does 1Mbps for €35 inc line rental. Digiweb is probably in the €40's for the same thing. Check their sites.

There are very few broadband options for less than €30, particularly not in the sticks.
    Yeh i rang digiweb lastweek and they said id have to pay line rental from eircom then pay them for bb so that works out just as expensive so might give BT a call,thats if they have service in my area,known my luck they wont and my only option will be to go to eircom for the lot :(

If you can get eircom BB, you can get BB from a range of resellers, including Digiweb and BT. You need a phone number to confirm availability. If you don't have a phone, use the phone number of a neighbour's or a nearby pub to give you an idea. If you then order a phone line, there's no guarantee it will pass.

Blaster99 wrote:
    If you can get eircom BB, you can get BB from a range of resellers, including Digiweb and BT. You need a phone number to confirm availability. If you don't have a phone, use the phone number of a neighbour's or a nearby pub to give you an idea. If you then order a phone line, there's no guarantee it will pass.

Yeh i can get BT it wil come to 40e a month but then it has this question when ordering saying quantity of PCMCIA Cards ??? :confused: what are they... and also USB cards.

You need to have a PC with an ethernet interface. I'm guessing those PCMCIA and USB cards are for wireless access, so you don't need them and you can probably buy them cheaper elsewhere if you do need them.

It's €40 for 2Mbps and €35 for 1Mbps.

Blaster99 wrote:
    You need to have a PC with an ethernet interface. I'm guessing those PCMCIA and USB cards are for wireless access, so you don't need them and you can probably buy them cheaper elsewhere if you do need them.

It's €40 for 2Mbps and €35 for 1Mbps.

So if i get the 35e one will i still have to get that card for 40e?? My computer isnt that old it has windows xp on it

• Advertisement

BT Ireland provides you with an ADSL modem regardless of which product you're getting, ie 1Mbps or 2Mbps. They don't provide specifics, but normally these have an ethernet and a USB port. You can either connect to the modem with ethernet or USB. All computers have USB, most computers have ethernet. Ethernet is better.

You don't need anything else from them. The connection fee pays for the modem. Any other questions, call them. I'm not an expert on BT Ireland's products so you're getting my best estimates.

Blaster99 wrote:
    BT Ireland provides you with an ADSL modem regardless of which product you're getting, ie 1Mbps or 2Mbps. They don't provide specifics, but normally these have an ethernet and a USB port. You can either connect to the modem with ethernet or USB. All computers have USB, most computers have ethernet. Ethernet is better.

You don't need anything else from them. The connection fee pays for the modem. Any other questions, call them. I'm not an expert on BT Ireland's products so you're getting my best estimates.

Thanks a million, all the info you have given me is very useful, cheers :D

shellie , you will not get ADSL at all if you are more than 3 miles from your exchange as the cable follows the road. 2.5miles is marginal, less than 2.5 miles would be the rule of thumb.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    shellie , you will not get ADSL at all if you are more than 3 miles from your exchange as the cable follows the road. 2.5miles is marginal, less than 2.5 miles would be the rule of thumb.

Thanks spongebob, i've sorted it out,i rang BT and there doing a package were you pay line rental and bb for 35e which is goos, i just had to ring to get the phone line with eircom switched back on, i hope i wont start getting to bills now, one from eircom from line rental plus a line rental bill fom BT also, you cant be sure with all these cmpanys

how far away is the exchange though and is there DSL gear in there ??

Sponge Bob wrote:
    how far away is the exchange though and is there DSL gear in there ??
    feck i wouldnt have a clue about that :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

What's your closest village or whereabouts in South Tipp are you? (My family are from Ballypatrick/Kilcash area).

Ponster wrote:
    What's your closest village or whereabouts in South Tipp are you? (My family are from Ballypatrick/Kilcash area).
    cant be telling you that now

If you have your old number on the deactivated line, you can check broadband availability using it, before you spend time or money on anything else. If you don't know the number, you can connect a phone to it and dial a magic number that Sponge Bob knows that will cause the number to be read out to you.

Blaster99 wrote:
    If you have your old number on the deactivated line, you can check broadband availability using it, before you spend time or money on anything else. If you don't know the number, you can connect a phone to it and dial a magic number that Sponge Bob knows that will cause the number to be read out to you.

i checked the old number and it said not availbale, i rang eircom and they have activated line and given me new number but they said i will have to call back in the morning and do a broadband test to see if its capable in my area, and if not ill be ringing them up and disconnecting the line again cos we wont use the phone as we all have mobiles,only wanted the line for broadband.But i seen another option on BT website called "flatrate" if you cant avail of broadband which sounds pretty good.180 hrs a month for 26.99 but speed would probly be dial up so thats the only let down.

• Advertisement

dial 199000 and if you get a number spoken back put it in the is your line suitable yoke on the eircom site and see if you get an answer , eg 055 12345

Sponge Bob wrote:
    dial 199000 and if you get a number spoken back put it in the is your line suitable yoke on the eircom site and see if you get an answer , eg 055 12345

No see we dont even have a house phone anymore so cant do that trick :(

Im blind i cant even see where that is your line suitable thing is

order broadband now> then is your line sutable >

or else try http://www.netsource.ie/prequal.asp

Sponge Bob wrote:
    order broadband now> then is your line sutable >

or else try http://www.netsource.ie/prequal.asp

I think ill be ringing them up again to deactivate the new number, i typed in my old house number and it said currently not available but yet my neighbours are able to get it.thats not fair

Go to netsource.ie and run their test instead. If it shows you a fail and a test date, then it's a true fail. If no test date is available, then no test has been run and the fail really means they have no test data. Eircom only runs the tests once a month. It's possible that your deactivated line wasn't tested.

And be very careful with eircom and broadband. You can order it over the phone with them and they may take your enquiry as an order.

Blaster99 wrote:
    And be very careful with eircom and broadband. You can order it over the phone with them and they may take your enquiry as an order.
    Im not getting it with eircom,im getting it with BT, i just have to get the line activated for BT

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

shellie11 wrote:
    cant be telling you that now

Errr, ok. Keep that very special information to yourself then.

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote:
    Errr, ok. Keep that very special information to yourself then.

ha ha shut up, im from costa del nowhere :)

Advertisement