Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen cover.. how big must the crack be

Options
  • 04-07-2006 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭

I just discovered a second chip on my windscreen this morning. The first one was more or less in my line of sight, but is tiny enough (1 cm). The second is down near where the wipers park, but is 2cm.

I know my policy has windscreen cover, but must the chip/crack be minimum size before they will pay?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would check the NCT manual and see the minimum acceptable limits and whether your car is above or below. Then contact your insurance company and see what they say. I reckon they will allow it as is as you say in your field of vision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I got mine replaced, there was lots of very tiny chips. The guy replacing it didn't seem to care about how severe (or not) the damage was or how it happened. When finished doing the job and filling out a form he asked me for a date when the damage took place. I said I didn't know, it was like that when I bought the car.He laughed and said I can't say that, it needs to have happened after I took the policy out. So we made up a date and left it at that.

So I don't think they are really that bothered. It's just a money making scam all around for the insurance company and the windscreen guys which us motorists all pay for at the end of the day with higher charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

If it's line of sight it can be a pinhole
    I got a tiny chip - 4-5 mm and had my entire screen replaced.
    They can fill tiny chips but don't if it's line of sight.
    anyway - I've been paying premiums for a long time I was due something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Surely if it's not big enough you can just give it a smack of a hammer. Or is this insurance fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

kbannon wrote:
    I reckon they will allow it as is as you say in your field of vision.
    Exactly.

Some windscreen repairers claim they can repair a chip/crack smaller than a €2 coin - if not a replacement is necessary. Your insurance should cover either/or - ring the insurer and ask them to be sure.

NCT will fail your car if crack/chip is in drivers line of sight. If the crack/chip is outside line of sight you can be sure that after a few frosty nights it will creep and soon intrude into your line of sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As kbannon says, check the NCT manual. IIRC you are allowed one crack in the drivers line of vision as long as the crack doen't exceed 10 mm. If you have two or more of these you fail. You are allowed larger (20 mm) cracks outside the drivers line of vision and again there is a restriction on the number of them. All of this is in the NCT manual and illustrated with diagrams and it will be easy to determine whether your windscreen is alright or not.

As for getting a replacement under insurance - I have never heard of insurance companies insisting on a certain level of damage before they'll allow you claim for a new screen. Possible I suppose, if so then something like this may come in useful :)
    rogergianthammer300.JPG

;) Most windscreen replacement companies are eager to replace you screen. Find one that deals with your insurance company directly and they'll replace it. The insurance company will take the windscreen peoples word for it...........if you get my drift;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Thanks all.

I looked though the T&Cs and there does not seem to be any particular restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alot of full comp insurance policies allow you to claim for a certain number of window/windscreens in a given period usually 12 months without effecting your NCB.

There usually are no restrictions on the size of the chip/crack or how many of them you need to get a replacement. Obviously if your view is impared due to a crack, the chip/crack is travelling on the windscreen or your car is due an NCT then it makes sense to have the windscreen replaced.

Check your policy or insurance disc, usually your policy number followed by an astersk (*) means that you have windscreen cover.

bazz26 wrote:

Check your policy or insurance disc, usually your policy number followed by an astersk (*) means that you have windscreen cover.
    Also if the last letter is a 'Y' your covered too. Obviously 'N' is the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

FX Meister wrote:
    Surely if it's not big enough you can just give it a smack of a hammer. Or is this insurance fraud?

I would have been of this opinion too, although obviously some local scoundrel hit it with a hammer and ran away before you could catch him !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Or some car threw up a stone which happened to hit your windscreen. These thing happen you know. I've been in a van when the windscreen came in due to this happening. Not nice at 60mph on a motorway!

*Before people start saying that speed limits are in Kph this happened years ago in England. Still wasn't nice though.

Advertisement