Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenor Banjo Lessons

Options
  • 04-07-2006 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

OK. This looks like a good place to start. I have always wanted to play something but never did but its now time to start. I'm going to Try and learn how to play the Tenor Banjo.

I have done a bit of research on the Web and have been directed a lot of the time to UK or US sites and Music types.

So where do I start?

I need some where to have a go and get some lessons – I’d rather not put the cart before the horse! I'll also need a second hand Banjo for practice!

I’m living in Offaly any HELP would be great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

MKEOGHAN wrote:
    I need some where to have a go and get some lessons – I’d rather not put the cart before the horse! I'll also need a second hand Banjo for practice!

I'd say your best bet is to go to one of the summer schools this month. Willie Clancy summer school is on in Miltown Malbay this week, the Joe Mooney summer school is on in Drumshanbo next week, and Scoil Acla is on on Achill island the week after that. The summer schools are a good place to learn and to find possible banjo teachers in your area. It might even be possible to buy a banjo at the summer schools also. Clareen Banjos are common and are good banjos, see www.banjo.ie

Alternativly, go to some of the trad sessions in Tullamore, Athlone, wherever, there must be sessions in some of the pubs. Ask the musicians there, they are likely to know some banjo players in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NGorman

MKEOGHAN wrote:
    OK. This looks like a good place to start. I have always wanted to play something but never did but its now time to start. I'm going to Try and learn how to play the Tenor Banjo.

I have done a bit of research on the Web and have been directed a lot of the time to UK or US sites and Music types.

So where do I start?

I've spent the last year learning to play the Irish Tenor Banjo. First thing is, it can be a very difficult instrument to master, but learning the basics is not necessarily hard, just takes a hell of a lot of practice, I took lessons and found them to be a waste of money, learned much more from Gerry O'Connor's book "The complete guide to learning the Irish Tenor Banjo" which comes with a CD. Another essential purchase is "Irish Tenor Banjo - Complete techniques" which is a DVD also by Gerry O'Connor, this is a 'see and learn' DVD which goes through the basics through to advanced techniques. As regards the Banjo itself, you can buy a basic Banjo new for around €200, these banjos are perfectly adequate to start off with and are better than buying second hand because you have the support from the shop if you are not happy, you'll also get nearly all of your money back by selling it on, if you figure that the banjo is not for you. If you do make quick progress and want to continue playing, possibly even joining in traditional sessions, be warned that the cheaper Banjos soon show there limitations and a really decent Banjo will set you back somewhere in the region of €1,000 - €2,000.
    Hope that this has been of some use, if you need more info just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

Just as a matter of interest to ngorman, I'm also about a year at the tenor banjo and at times it can be hard going. I also went the GerryO''Connor route and I wonder if it is only me, but somedays I am not too bad, but other days well.... My right hand (plectrum) seems to let me down , starange as I have played guitar (often if not well), for over 30 years .
    Hang in there,
    Dave
    Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Shaybo

YOu could search for teachers at http://www.learnmusic.info

Advertisement