Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've discovered the most amasing photographer!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

il gatto wrote:
    That's just an illusion teenagers have. It's just their problems are small and uninteresting to those of us with mortgages, job cuts and health problems to worry about

One thing I will say.
    Problems are relative mate.
    Ya think morgages and job cuts matter to a person who has no food to eat?
    Teenagers problems are not small. Everything is relative ;)

EDIT: Tidying up quote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

You scared him off!!!!

Lol I noticed the OP hadnt replied in a while!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Good lord, I spend a day in the mountains and this thread goes mental. Bet I didn't even get a good shot cos of the muggy ould haze that was around.
    /Goes off to paint eyes black and pour my angst into a flash riddled web site/

Oooo!! Can we come and be your art groupies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Scared who off. Me?. Afraid not. Just commenting on somebody's idea that it expressed youth. It does't. I have a job. I don't have a mortgage and my health is fine. And I'm extremely thankful for all that. Don't drag it down to people having nothing to eat. That would mean everyone here I suspect, sitting at a computer with broadband, shouldn't comment on this troubled youth thing. Her photo's are crap. She can't use a camera properly. They express nothing to me. She'll carry on regardless of anything I say here. As she should. But her photos are up for discussion here and I think they're awful. To be a photographer, you need at least a basic understanding of how a camera works. If you later choose to put it to unusual use, fine. A snap happy kid with a big opinion of herself and her friends is not art, is not photography and is not clever.

il gatto wrote:
    Scared who off. Me?. Afraid not. Just commenting on somebody's idea that it expressed youth. It does't. I have a job. I don't have a mortgage and my health is fine. And I'm extremely thankful for all that. Don't drag it down to people having nothing to eat. That would mean everyone here I suspect, sitting at a computer with broadband, shouldn't comment on this troubled youth thing. Her photo's are crap. She can't use a camera properly. They express nothing to me. She'll carry on regardless of anything I say here. As she should. But her photos are up for discussion here and I think they're awful. To be a photographer, you need at least a basic understanding of how a camera works. If you later choose to put it to unusual use, fine. A snap happy kid with a big opinion of herself and her friends is not art, is not photography and is not clever.

I was commenting on the narrowmindedness of claiming that problems are minor just because they do not have releveance to you. Or to the colective mass Nothing more. And I was using an exmaple.(yes thats right an exmaple)

And a more hackneyed Example you couldn't have found.This girl has a digital camera, art equipment, a computer and loads of different clothes. I doubt she has no food, for Example. Or she's destitute, for Example. I'm not narrow minded, but I don't keep my opinions quiet just because they might be harsh.

Originally Posted by il gatto
    That's just an illusion teenagers have. It's just their problems are small and uninteresting to those of us with mortgages, job cuts and health problems to worry about

You werent talking bout her. It was a general statement. IF it was a specific statement I would have treated it diffrently.
    A statement such as the above is universally narrowmineded. Its not "a harsh opinion" its a narrowminded statement neglecting to take the situations of others into account, branding something that if it doesnt fit into your view of things its pointless. People run lives that are different to you own. Open your mind and realise that.

• Advertisement

It's not narrowminded. It's my reaction to this specific "artists" work and opinions stated thereafter stating it represents an amage of troubled youth. It doesn't clearly represent anything. It's a mess. I'm not so stupid as to not realise the unfortunate situations some people find themselves in. My life's not perfect, but every day I'm thankful for the good fortune I've had. But the teenage, angst ridden non-issues this girls work represents to ME, are not due any credibility given them here by some people. I'm only referring only to the photos I viewed on her website and nothing else. I don't care how other people choose to lead their lives. If they are genuinely in distress, I really do feel for them. But if your going to put this sort of rubbish out there as art, you should expect to get slated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Her stuff reminds me of Corrine Day, the fashion photographer who 'invented' heroin chic, became a junkie herself and took very candid photos of her life when she and her friends were fu*ked off their t*ts. Also reminds me of Richard Billingham.

EXCEPT: they're good. I actually haven't a problem with this style of photography. It's direct, expressive, sometimes sensual, and if she was smart, I'd think she's exploiting the internet medium very well.

But she's not great, but exploring things, which is what it's about, any maybe she'll improve. I dunno who or what she is. But I'm intruiged enough - I'm amused by moody teenagers and emo kids because, well, I remember doing things like that when I was 16, 17.

She must be doing something right if she's an internet sensation.

Basically, I won't say, "Oh, m'god, it's so bad, I must purge my eye cavities". I just don't really care. But whoever she is, whatever.

I'd do her though.

Yeah. I think she's crap but I won't lose any sleep over it. Her stuff reminds me of photos I've taken on my phone when drunk. You're right DadaKopf. I'd do her too. At a different time. Not into that sort of thing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Fajitas! wrote:
    As regards the generation factor (just picking this post out as the first example), I'm 19, and an fine art student, studied it for the last 2 years, going into my third altogether now. And I honestly cannot see any point to her work. A lot of her work is cliche'd attention seeking, and in my opinion, terribly executed. No matter what ideas went behind it. And her ego has been blown to massive sizes because of people on MySpace telling her "omg omg ur like d best in da world!11!11" (You can read the comments left on her page for that one). She actually does think she is an "amasing" artist.

From my opinion as an artist, she needs to sit down, and re-evaluate her work. Not everything is a keeper. Not everyone is going to like her work. She could try make it big, but I don't think so. I guess we'll know in 20+ years time, if our kids are reading about her in their 5th year art classes...

Fajitas - not trying to nit-pick here, but I dont see the connection between my statement and yours?

You're a 19 year old fine art student. No offence but what does that have to do with me liking her photography and/or the reasons I said I liked it?

This is the 3rd time my post has been misrepresented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I dont see how that comment is relevant, were talking about her "art" and her photogrpahy?

We are indeed. So her "art" and photography are seperate from her personality?? I won't (can't) listen to Gary Glitter anymore. I suppose I am just being silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

DadaKopf wrote:
    But she's not great, but exploring things, which is what it's about, any maybe she'll improve
    But she is not, she is quite clearly staging these shots because she wants to emulate what she thinks it should look like. Just like the whole "heroine chick" look clearly not a reflection of real heroine users. These photos look like something a bad fashion mag photographer would stage while pretending to make it look like his models are running around having fun.

That is my main objection to this type of work. Its not documentary, while pretending to be.

People say "whats the harm", and there is no harm but we also don't need to pretend this is good
    DadaKopf wrote:
    I'd do her
    Agreed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Personally I thought her photography was just very derivative of something she aspired to be - which was interestingly troubled. You put it next to - for example - any photograph of Richie James, particularly the one where he carved up his arm in front of a music journalist (wish I could find a link to that photo), and question whether she has the vision to produce a truly great photograph with raw emotion. So far, little evidence.

I dare say she doesn't care - if she's that popular on myspace or whatever, she's not going to care one way or another about this debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Her photos are too snapshotty for my liking. They remind me of when I feel like taking photographs but don't actually feel artistic, and I take photos of the floor or the window or something. Boring.

All I can say is, at least she's not scene. (Or too scene.) I'm sick of that style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

there's a spelling mistake in the title of this thread ...... im not sure whether it's supposed to say "amazing", or "amusing" .... i think the latter :)

Ha, ha, ha. That's brilliant peepingtom. Maybe this whole thread has been for nowt. I did notice though that the original poster didn't correct us though. We've give them the benefit of the doubt :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

Evening chaps, had no idea I'd cause so much turmoil.

Alli's pics, I discovered her on Myspace earlier this year, back then she had 5000 friends, now she has 7000 and somehting. When I saw her photography and art and read her stuff I was blown away. I thought it was brilliant and I got a really excellent feeling looking at it all, I found and still find it really interesting. And about 7000 other people seem to think the same thing.
    Also on DeviantArt there are hundreds of people (including me) watching her.
    So is it really fair to say she has no talent at all?

I Thought, concidering how her art made me feel, and how many people seemed to love it and how far she'd got without any help or even a real webiste, that she definitely had the potential to make a careir for herself in art and that a website would help her on her way, so I made the site for her, using free hosting space which I got when I bought my website www.antoandmoe.com .

Sorry if you chaps all hate the format, but I'm not exactly a profesional or experianced web designer. I thought it looked cool, and it's a fairly easy program to use, so I thought it might be easier for her to figure out how to maintain the site herself with.

As for calling her EMO and the like, it's a term that gets thrown around allot nowadays, but insofar as it refers to musical taste and style/appearance (which it is a lable designed for) it really isn't aplicable to her. As for her being nasty or self absorbed I haven't smelt a hint of either of those qualities and have been in contact with her for some time now.

I think someone also said that she randomly chose a number of old poets and things in order to look smart or something like that... I have no idea how the conversation even got there but I can assure you that she is a compleatly genuine character, who really doesn't deserve all this abuse and 'Avril Lavine' name hurling that I seem to have let her in for.

Any way, hope that cleared some stuff up, I'll be interested in seeing how the conversation goes after this.

Peace & Love.

• Advertisement

Lol irelands a small place,
    I actually know you IRL,
    Or at least the Anto half of you.
    and your very very EMO man.
    So I can see why youd relate to her.

(PS. Hows the drama classes coming along lol ;p) gg

You, sir, are a foppish fool who miss and over uses the word EMO outragiously: I am a fun loving hippy degenerate.

I quit drama two years ago.

How is your lactoseintolerant spouse?

Be nice to/about Alli she is brilliant.

Wow u got who I was that quick??????
    Hehehe my spouse is no longer my spouse and I hope never to lay eyes on her again in my existence :) Funfun!

Hehe yes dear alli is amzingful as is marmite on toast with marshmallows ;p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

ooohh interesting thread ... im gettting in way too late here though

1. The writing is terrible pretentious nonsense.....but then grunge was all about abstract expression in music and lyrics and sometime about expressing feck all but emotion. I loved it then , but now.....well.......:rolleyes:
    2. the drawings are interesting
    3. The photography is okay, im not into her doe eyed makeup smeared smashed little princess shots but l think some of the others are okay.

Shes eighteen now so time to shake off any of the remaining angst art. If she can take it from there , who knows?

Nothing wrong with a bit of teenage expession.....we all wrote bad poetry / music painted brutal paintings when were back then.......didnt we ? :o
    if 7000 (mostly teenagers) can relate to it , what harm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Dundhoone wrote:
    Nothing wrong with a bit of teenage expession.....we all wrote bad poetry / music painted brutal paintings when were back then.......didnt we ? :o
    if 7000 (mostly teenagers) can relate to it , what harm?

I can't relate to it and i'm 16.
    I must be a weird one. ;]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

I'm just after having a poke through MasterofTheRealms deviant art page there and can honestly say I much more enjoyed looking at his photos and art (if you may call it so) than those other boring pictures from that other one.

I had you're 666th page view as well btw. O_o

Heheh cheers mate.
    I really should try put more stuff up there lol

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ciaranhickey

Originally Posted by Anto and Moe
    I discovered her on Myspace earlier this year, back then she had 5000 friends...

5000 MySpace fans can't be wrong!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Evening chaps, had no idea I'd cause so much turmoil.

Alli's pics, I discovered her on Myspace earlier this year, back then she had 5000 friends, now she has 7000 and somehting. When I saw her photography and art and read her stuff I was blown away. I thought it was brilliant and I got a really excellent feeling looking at it all, I found and still find it really interesting. And about 7000 other people seem to think the same thing.
    Also on DeviantArt there are hundreds of people (including me) watching her.
    Any way, hope that cleared some stuff up, I'll be interested in seeing how the conversation goes after this.

Peace & Love.
    I’d be interested to know the demographics of that number…

Like how many of those are over 20? Part of being a teenager is the desire to belong to something. That’s not an insult, we’ve all been through it, but as you get older you get over it. If someone or something gets a following, others flock, its how the music business works.

I’d also to curious to know the proportion of male “fans”. The girl is attractive. She’s posting images of herself online. That’s a red flag to a bull when it comes to teenage lads. To men of any age in fact.

The biggest area of contention on this thread has been about the sites artistic merit. And most have agreed that it just isn’t all that great. And most have been kind. I’m a member of several different Photographic sites and I’m willing to bet that this girls site would be slated by people who are far more talented and artistic than I.

In saying that I'm not knocking or slating the site myself. The girl could go far...you never know...

I've not looked at this thread for a week and a half. Still going:) Without getting into the whole teenage angst versus artistic merit debate again, I'd like to pose a simple question. How many of you would actually BUY a print from this girl? Honestly. I'm not trying to be a smartarse, but if she had prints tied to Stephens Green railings, would you hand over money to own one?

• Advertisement

nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Only read the first couple of pages of the thread as it started to go off on a tangent.

Anyways, the overwhelming feeling I got from looking at her several sites was.....NIGHTMARE GIRLFRIEND!!! "You did what with a razor blade?!?!?!"

Oh, and her work is terrible (IMO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lebnizvsnewton

_Ciar&#225 wrote: »

Personally I don't like her photographs, they seem to be random snapshots of her everyday life and most lack good composition

I agree. It's quite unfortunate, though, because does have a very striking appearance - her photographs would be rather interesting, I think, if she had a better understanding of composition.

Not that I think my photography is just wonderful or anything. I just don't think hers is well developed enough to have her be considered an amazing photographer.

Well I'd buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Anyone else....?

I think the point is proven :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Holy thread resurrection batman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

This domain may be for sale on her original website, says a lot!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I'm sure there is a funny cat image perfect for this thread. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I'm a lockin' this one, can't understand zombie threads really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement