Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Run' for springer - how small is too small?

• 04-07-2006 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I want to get a springer spaniel - a working/hunting dog - but am very tight for space.
    I'm wondering - what's the smallest space I could confine the dog to as it's home?

It's a given that I'd exercise the dog at least once a day - evenings after work - but for the majority of the time, it'd be in it's 'run'.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If the dog is only going to get out once a day it would want to be for a good few hours, tbh even working dogs should be out for most of the day, the animal could end up bored out of his tree esp. as it would be a working breed.
    You could end up with all sorts of problems, how much of an area do you have for the run? Standard galvanised runs are usually about 5 by 5 foot I have one that size and it would be big enough for a kennel and for a dog to turn around and lie down in and for the dishes etc but it really wouldn't be big enough for a dog to be spending most of his time in, you really would need something around 10 by 8 feet.

You basically talking about a dog being in the run for life except for getting out once a day and mabey out for the weekend working. People do it all the time around here with dogs but the poor things are usually pacing up and down or barking their heads off out of boredom, and usually on their own as well the only reason people dont complain is that its in the country side and houses are far apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

That's always the thing - damn work!

I've an area about 14' X 5'. It looks reasonable enough, but my gut tells me it's a little too small. I may be able to 'grow' the area to about 6' wide - that's about 84sq feet - a slight increase from 70.

I hear what you're saying about the dog being out for several hours. I'd prefer it to be out for several hours too. But with life getting in the way, that's not always do-able. And I know what the next reply to that is - 'well, if you can't look after it properly, don't get it'. I agree - that's why I'm asking!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If a dog is locked up on its own somewhere, the size of the "prison" doesn't really matter that much. A huge back garden might look better to us ...the dog in it all on its own all day still only is two things ...lonely and bored

So yes ...basically it boils down to what you already said:
    'well, if you can't look after it properly, don't get it'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Got a springer down in the country with a massive garden. He's well trained and quite obedient - I can leave him out [There's no fencing, other than the hedges] without a problem. He's quite the Gentlemen well known amongst the neighbours ;)

Can't quite say the same for my Great Dane though - even though he's quite a softy and aged he sometimes wonders onto the road where once walked out into my new neighbours house. He's usually in his run [which is an orchid - so it's quite large]. :o

So, back OT: Springers need a large enery outlet. If kept in a run it would definately need to be of some considerate size. Walks and play will have to be integrated into your lifestyle.

Age is a factor too for that outlet. Younger ones demand a lot more, naturally. So if possible, try getting an older dog - perhaps from the ISPCA or irishanimals.ie, they're general more easier paced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Pipp

Hi,
    not sure if this will be any help to you but sure I thought I'd chime in anyway.
    We have two labrador retrievers, a brother and sister who are seven months old. Theyre wonderful and we love them very dearly.
    Anyway, we both work full time, I work nine to five and hubby works shift in rotation. So basically it works out that the dogs are never alone for more than four hours at a time and when they are going to be alone any longer than that my Mum calls in and spends time with them.
    We got a pen built in our backyard, its about fourteen feet by eleven feet and it sits on a concrete plinth we had put in. Theres plenty of room for them to run around and play in it. I got it from a company in Kildare that makes animal enclosures. Its totally closed in with a door and comes galvanised and ready to put together with fixings and all. Its totally secure and roofed in, if you want the name of the company PM me.
    Basically my point is that if the dog is going to be alone all day then dont get him. Our solution to that was to get the two pups, and they are great company for one another. Saying that though, if husband worked "normal" hours I dont think we would have gotten dogs at all, which would have been a right bummer indeed.
    I hope that helped in some way:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Thanks for the replys.

The root of my dilema is that I had a springer for 6/7 years - great dog, brilliant hunter, couldn't have asked for better.
    The thing is, I got her when I was still living at home; plenty of space, big purpose-build dog run with the springer and a lab; uncle there to bring for walks - and I was there to train her. Spent several hours, several evenings getting things right.

I could at any time put a dog in the same place and have my folks look after it but they're 25 miles from Naas (where I live) and I drive from Dublin home each evening. It's not practical to get down there regulary to work with the dog.

So, I thought I'd keep it in Naas until it was trained and then move it down to the folks - about 6 months I'd reckon.

Anyway, that's the root of the connundrum. Thanks again - I have a bit more planning to do.

Advertisement