Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could stretch to €2000 for a TV, which one should I get?

• 04-07-2006 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I've looked at the Samsung LE40R51B, from the pics it looks a beauty and is only €1650 odd from pixmania. What I'm not sure of is what the difference is between the le40r61b,le40r71b or what appears to be the M range i.e. le40M51b,le40M61b,le40M71b, all of these are described on komplett I've seen that the higher you go up in price, you get the increase in the contrast ratio and viewing angle and a decrease in the response time etc. Probably the only thing that might be worthwhile is the good viewing angle (given its proposed location). It's not needed for computer games and will not be connected to a PC, it's just a plain tv for Sky digital. Which one would be the best value? The TV doesn't have to be a Samsung, if you have any recomendations, please divulge. One other thing, I've not ordered a TV from the net before, has anyone any experience of it going wrong? i.e. it being faulty and having to return it, if so, is it a nightmare?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭YoYOPowder

The new M Series will have two HDMI and motion blur software. I have just bought the R74 40" off Komplett. It was cheaper on Katronics, but due to a couple of reasons I went with Komplett, Irish VAT no. etc. I would not go for the R51, I think, I dont know, that this has a PVA panel, not SPVA, the newer technology which allows for wider viewing angle, it does not have as many colours etc, and is really older software all round. If you go onto www.avforums.com and view the LCD R7 series, on the first page it will tell you the difference between the panel codes, R71 R72 etc etc. My dealings with Komplett were ok, they took a day to process the order (not straight away) and it took 3 working days to get here without any issue, 4 days all up. Although my tracking no. did not work, DHL claimed the number was not belonging to them, I think this was a Komplett boo boo, and they didn't seem to care, but it did arrive on time from DHL.
    As for the TV, I'll give it a bit more time before I post a proper review, but so far all is good, not earth moving but pretty darn good, and that's all I expected.
    -SD TV, ie. Sky Digital via dish. Quality depends very much on the channel, RTE etc are excellent, even the football, very good indeed. BBC was also very good. Most Sky channels I would go no further than grand to very good but always very very watchable, and it did exceed my expectations all round.
    -DVD Upscaler via HDMI. Excellent picture. I watched the New World with Colin Farrell, whatever about the film (muck) the reason I got this was of the scenery, lots of detail and lots of dark scenes and fast fighting, so a good test all round. It passed with flying colours, the clarity and detail were excellent. Dark scenes, while getting very deep blacks, expecially with Energy Mode set to high, I thought it did have issues with shades of black to grey, but it wont bother you that much.
    The TV looks great, but will not be everybody's cup of tea and will require a wipe every 3 days as it attracts dust. That's all I can think of for now, any questions just shout!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

What DVD are you using for that Upscales via HDMI

What DVD are you using for that Upscales via HDMI

Samsung HD-860. I would have bought the Panasonic, but it was out of stock. I compared the Samsung on the LCD with my old Black Diamond. The Samsung was far better, but this test may not be that great, the Black Diamond cost me €50 nearly 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭elmicko

Thanks for the comments YoYoPowder
    YoYOPowder wrote:
    The new M Series will have two HDMI and motion blur software. I have just bought the R74 40" off Komplett. It was cheaper on Katronics, but due to a couple of reasons I went with Komplett, Irish VAT no. etc.

After having a look, I decided I'd go for this, but there was a few things.
    1) It's hard to find, both pixmania and komplett don't have it.
    2) I found it on dabs, checked it out with kelkoo and they're a good few quid dearer than some of the others, but I have got a laptop off them, so I trust them, but at the same time I've heard some bad things about them. Know any other cheap sites with delivery to Ireland
    3) Does the fact that the d at the end of the description of Samsung LE40R74BD 40" HD Ready LCD TV ,as in DVB (which was very helpfully explained by the link you gave above) mean there are any conflict issues. Also the fact that it's advertised as "freeview" on the british sites does it mean I'll get any channels I wouldn't get off sky?

Mick

elmicko wrote:
    Thanks for the comments YoYoPowder
    YoYOPowder wrote:
    The new M Series will have two HDMI and motion blur software. I have just bought the R74 40" off Komplett. It was cheaper on Katronics, but due to a couple of reasons I went with Komplett, Irish VAT no. etc.

After having a look, I decided I'd go for this, but there was a few things.
    1) It's hard to find, both pixmania and komplett don't have it.
    2) I found it on dabs, checked it out with kelkoo and they're a good few quid dearer than some of the others, but I have got a laptop off them, so I trust them, but at the same time I've heard some bad things about them. Know any other cheap sites with delivery to Ireland
    3) Does the fact that the d at the end of the description of Samsung LE40R74BD 40" HD Ready LCD TV ,as in DVB (which was very helpfully explained by the link you gave above) mean there are any conflict issues. Also the fact that it's advertised as "freeview" on the british sites does it mean I'll get any channels I wouldn't get off sky?

Mick
    The D stands for Digital Tuner and after reading up, this is actually an add-on, i.e. they have not taken away the analgue tuner, which is all the R71B and R72B have, i.e. you will have both. Now the funny thing is you are correct in that the R74BD is more expensive, but Komplett last week had it in for cheaper and I snapped up the last one. But they will have it again Im sure, as they did this before. You could try mailing them, but in this aspect I have found them unhelpful. Of course you dont need the Digital Tuner, so if it's the silver trim you want the R72B would suffice, but I just grabbed it regardless as there are rumours of a similar freeview going on trial in Ireland, but No, you will not be able to get British freeview or the additional channels i.e. Channel 5 etc.

• Advertisement

Sorry to answer your other question, cant think of any other site that has the R74BD only the the 72B and no you wont have any conflicts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

LCD

Plasma

That's a pretty decent budget these days. You could also ask over in the RS Forum for some options, or review some recent posts over there.

I hope spending that on a TV you have the sound system to go with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Highly recommend going into the Philips shop in town and checking out tv's that are priced up to €2200. Being a boards member you'll get a 10% discount off any item in the shop. I have a 42" and 50" panasonic plasma and a 42" Philips LCD. I never rated philips highly until I saw the picture the 42" produced. The ambilight is a nice feature too and looks great hung on a white wall.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Considering this thread was started 3 years ago, the €2,000 is well spent now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

byte wrote: »
    Considering this thread was started 3 years ago, the €2,000 is well spent now :)

D'oh :o

Advertisement