Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year old bladder problem?

Options
  • 04-07-2006 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the correct process is if I want my child to get investigated for a bladder or kidney problem? I rang my phn over a week ago and she said that nothing would be done until the child was 6 or 7 but said she would drop a sample bottle in so we could check for infection anyway.

No sign of the bottle arriving anyway so I popped into my GPs surgery and asked the practice nurse for one and explained the situation to her. She gave me the bottle and said it was unlikely that anything would show up and that the next move would be to contact my PHN so she would talk to me about toilet training!

BTW, the child has just turned 4, has never been great on the toilet issue (no1s only) but has become increasingly worse over the past 3-4 months with accidents 3-4 times most days and the same at night. (was great at night for the first 6 months but days were always difficult- no probs with no 2s).

I have exhausted all psychological and behavioural possibilities and tried all methods-rewards etc. Believe me going down the medical route is a last resort but I have come to the conclusion that she just doesn't get enough warning, and sometimes there is no warning! She very very rarely makes it to the toilet on time.

Is this a common problem that will correct itself (thus the seeming disinterest from the health professionals) or should I be pushing for further medical investigation?

Has anyone any experience of this?

Thanks

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 elly37

Hi
    just saw your post was looking for something different and it caught my attention my daughter went threw the same thing up until she was seven or eight, constantly had her at the doctors and was given antibotic after antibotic as her sample kept showing up as infection eventually ended up with her in hospital suspected appendix which turned out to be chronic constipation( up till then we only seemed to have the probelm with no 1's), managed to get her referred to a spiecalist who said it happens a lot with girls as we're constantly asking them to hold on to find a toilet and that she never had an infection at all as something in her urine reacted with the dipstick and the doctor would have to send anymore samples to the lab to get a correct reading. i totally understand what your going through but believe me it does come to an end and they do grow out of it. i spent nearly four years pulling my hair out wondering what was wrong i gave out to her and then tried not too incase i was making things worse ect. but there is light at the end of the tunnel,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

littlebug wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the correct process is if I want my child to get investigated for a bladder or kidney problem? I rang my phn over a week ago and she said that nothing would be done until the child was 6 or 7 but said she would drop a sample bottle in so we could check for infection anyway.

No sign of the bottle arriving anyway so I popped into my GPs surgery and asked the practice nurse for one and explained the situation to her. She gave me the bottle and said it was unlikely that anything would show up and that the next move would be to contact my PHN so she would talk to me about toilet training!

BTW, the child has just turned 4, has never been great on the toilet issue (no1s only) but has become increasingly worse over the past 3-4 months with accidents 3-4 times most days and the same at night. (was great at night for the first 6 months but days were always difficult- no probs with no 2s).

I have exhausted all psychological and behavioural possibilities and tried all methods-rewards etc. Believe me going down the medical route is a last resort but I have come to the conclusion that she just doesn't get enough warning, and sometimes there is no warning! She very very rarely makes it to the toilet on time.

Is this a common problem that will correct itself (thus the seeming disinterest from the health professionals) or should I be pushing for further medical investigation?

Has anyone any experience of this?

Thanks

P

This. It's a common problem, as with developmental delays etc some children's sphincter muscles just develop a little more slowly than others. This is why the PHN is not worrying so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

:D:D

well ... seven years later this isn't a problem anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

D'oh... that's what I get for not checking the date. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement