Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inspiration/ideas

• 04-07-2006 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all i have invited my new bf:D over for dinner on saturday night and i need some ideas i am doing main course and dessert...i am good cook but don't want to do anything to complicated...thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

What are you into?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I like italian food best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

I know its not italian, but what about a nice steak dinner?

Its easy to cook a couple steaks, some nice veg sides too like baby potatoes with parmesan/garlic butter, carrots and brocolli, and a pepper sauce.

You wouldn't have any hassels cooking this ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Siimple italian.

Pesto (about 10 mins prep time).
    Cup of Basil and Rocket (either 50:50 or 70 Basil:30 Rocket)
    Half cup of Pine nuts
    1/3 cup of grated fresh parmesan (not the dried stuff).
    large garlic clove, diced.
    Good quality Olive oil. About a cup.
    Salt and Pepper to taste.
    (note, different people like different consistency for pesto, use yoru judgement in adding more/less depending on your taste)

Blend herbs, garlic and pine nuts in a processor until fine. mix parmasen through and pulse to ensure it is finely chopped. Add oil until it has pesto consistency(the oil should cover the herbs, this ensures that the leaves don't go off-green).

Can be served spread lightly on toasted italian bread with chopped tomatoes or mixed through penne pasta with mushrooms (just gently fry halved mushrooms, add to freshly cooked pasta and mix the pesto through).

Pesto will keep for 2 weeks in an airtight container in the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Italian Tomato Sauce

800g (approx 6) plum tomatoes
    Large red onion
    3 bay leaves
    handful of basil leaves
    1 cup of veg stock
    2 tbsp Italian tomato purée
    5 tbsp olive oil
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

skin tomatoes (pierce a few times and steep in boiling water for about 30 secs, this will make the skin peel) and chop (some people like to seed them, it doesn't bother me). Finely chop and sweat onions in a large tall pan in olive oil until golden. Add the tomatoes, basil, bay leaves, tomato purée, stock, salt and ground black pepper. Mix well, cover with a lid and allow to simmer on a low heat for approximately 2 hours. (Make sure you stir occasionally).

Fried spaghetti
    Spaghetti, cooked and cooled - cook portions per person as per pack instructions.
    Eggs (1 per 2 people portion of pasta)
    1/4 cup of milk per egg.
    grated parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup per egg
    chopped parsely, tbsp per egg.

Mix above into batter and pour over cooked and cooled spaghetti (very important its cooled, you can run cold water over it gently to keep it moist). Leave stand at least 30 mins.

heat oil until hot on a non stick pan and spoon spaghetti mixture until it makes a pancake. Fry until goldin, flip and fry until golden again.

Serve with tomato sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'd go with rsta - there's nothing like a slab of red meat to get a bloke going.
    Maybe some roasted Italian-style veg on the side. The veg could be prepared well in advance & lashed into the oven, so you'll be free to spend time with your beau & just cook the steaks at the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How about some salmon fillets, seasoned with some cajun spices (gently) and pan-fried in butter. Serve with new potatoes and peas. Keep it simple.

For dessert, try strawberries and cream with a twist. Strawberries are delicious at the moment. Whip up some cream, add a tablespoon of brandy(if you want), and crumble some meringue nests into the cream. Mix well. Layer this cream mixture into big glasses along with layers of sliced strawberries. Decadent but extremely simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Dudara your desert sounds fab, I'll be stealing that idea for myself this weekend!!

Advertisement