Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading Eve...

Options
  • 04-07-2006 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

I wish to try something different as far as MMOGs go, and my new Macbook is as good a reason as any to download one. And so I wish to try Eve! I'm through with WoW as it turned into a personal nightmare (women=bad).

I'm aware there's a strong Irish community in the game, anyone have any advice? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

1st make sure you do the tutorial. After that it can get murky as you are free to do anything you want with the minimal guidance. Although I hear that they have revamped the tut, and it now points you in a mission direction.

Once you finish the tutorial I would buy a ship, take into account that decent fittings can cost as much as the ship (good ones twice as much and the top of the line...). Starting out just equip the cheapest stuff you can find and start doing missions.

If in doubt right-click.

After you have the skills to fly a basic ship well, concentrate on getting your learning skills up.

After your initial period the game can seem slow but give it a while (month?) and it really takes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Make SURE to finish the tutorial. At the very end of it you are given an implant that can go for 340k to 1million, which is a massive boost for a new player starting out. Also, if your starting corp are a bit lacklustre, then be quick to get into a player corp as it makes a huge difference. In fact, you can usual "sell yourself" to the player corp, getting a new ship or some implants or whatever, for joining their corp.

Aside from that, enjoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Is this game still pay by the month game ?
    Looks good and now i have BB i might get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

i think so, my mate in college plays it like a religion. poor fella....taking over his life just like those poor WOW players, lol. it does look pretty good though, might start it when i go back to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Newbie suggestions.

1. Do the tutorial to completion.

2. Never fly with anything you aren't prepared to loose. I would go as far as to say ignore implants and just sell them if you get them.

3. You can learn skills even when logged off. So pick fast skills when playing and then switch to a skill that will take hours/days to complete when you log off. Switching skills does not loose skill points.

4. Make sure you always have a clone with more then enough skill points to cover what you have.

5. You make more money refining junk you find and selling it, then rather just selling it.

6. Focus on getting your learning skills high first. It will make levelling so much easier.

• Advertisement

I will have to c if i have the time to play it. At the moment im just stuck doing other things.

Im a big FPS kind of guy but of late im pissed off with CS:S and looking for something new. Have been playing a free trail off WOW for the past 4 nights. But would like to give these other big multiplayer games a good first before i decided on what i want to play.

Thanks for the tips.

P.S can you download EVE as in title and then pay for an account ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

And as I have recently found out .... playing Caldari is EVE on easy mode ...

Would you believe that after more than 2 years playing EVE i only just started flying Caldari ships and they are way overpowered against NPC's ... I have characters that can fly minnie, amarr and gallente (my first char, a gallente has >6mil sp in gunnery) and a caldari BS with pretty crap skills (1mil sp in missles) can make isk at twice the rate :rolleyes:

But if you want PVP I would suggest gallente or minmatar or amarr. For starting out in eve though I would go with caldari. ... and no i am not joking ... being able to pick your damage has incredible benefits and shield tanks are better than armour tanks in my opinion. (my main character has very good armour tanking skills and poor shield tanking skills, but I can sit in a belt with a lot of npc's shooting at me with impunity in a raven and I would have a hard time in my mega or dominix)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

BadCharlie wrote:
    P.S can you download EVE as in title and then pay for an account ?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i agree BigEejit

i chose gallente and ill stick with it, caldari are very template easy.
    once you get a raven its yawn factor 6.

You can download Eve and get a free 14day trail. Well thats what it said on the web site must c if it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

To get a 14 day trial just go here:

https://secure.eve-online.com/ft/?aid=100204

Just reactivated my account after a lonnnnng time.. to find I've not as many sp points as i thought. Still enough to keep me going ;)

Its weird I never thought I'd have to work out the interface again, and then start nosing through the market.. Just bought myself a nice raven last night to get me going. ..

Just need to find a corp now, anyone got any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

Species
    part of ascendant frontier (largest alliance in game, yes even biger than bob and more honorable too)

im awaiting to rejoin them atm but they have an office in sonoma and tew.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Cool, send us a mail in game Jaggeh.

Characters name is: Zarik Wan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

heh, just downloaded this game and got my 14 day free trial, let's see just why this game is so popular O.o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

ho hum, this game is way too complicated beyond my understanding, the tutorial wasn't much of a help either O.o, anyways I like to keep my toon on the ground in a planet thanks :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Woo, random flying around ftw

Advertisement