Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Third Policeman

• 04-07-2006 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

I actually don't know if this is appropriate to the philosophy forum or the literature forum so please feel free to move it to the appropriate area.

I read Flann O'Brien's 'The Third Policeman' on the train home at the weekend and it got me thinking about life in general. It mentions a ficticious philosopher called De Selby, He basically states that time is a series of random thoughts grouped together and that we pre-choose the people who surround us in our lives, ultimately i think to enrich us. Also he adds a physics dimension to his overall philosophy i.e. when we look in a mirror, we are not looking at our immediate reflection but one which was formed seconds prior to this. That is to say, the light has to hit the mirror, reflect off the object and project itself onto a mirror; the same can be said of a photograph. (Which although fiction, is freaky and actually true).

I don't agree with the idea that one's subconscious 'pre-chooses' or determines the people we surround ourselves with. I mean really to be practical would you choose to be surrounded by emotionally draining person's like a difficult next-door neighbour or work colleague?

Just wondering what people's views are on this and if anyone has another insight into the mythical world of De Selby's thought.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Just wanted to post a reply coz this thread looks so lonely, I had a decent reply last week but I forgot it,

P.S, Im putting your username down as one that made me smile, fan of Angus myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

aah thanks funster! :)

de selby also stated that we can be transient beings if we project our minds to it eg. if we surround our selves with pictures of France and keep focusing on them its like we can transport our bodies there. It wasone strane book and one i'm not likely to re-read again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Your welcome

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement