Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wee bugs...

• 04-07-2006 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Lately in our house we've been seeing quite a lot of small, crawling insects. Kinda hard to describe, but I'll give it a go: they look like a small sesame seed; smallest ones are about the size of a pinhead, biggest ones maybe twice that size; colour is usually light beige, bigger ones are darker.

They are usually seen in the bathrooms, on windowsills.

Anyway, we want rid of them, as they are driving my gf spare because they are always there. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Did you ever have them and what did you do about them?

Cheers,

B.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Sounds to me like you have book lice which is common in new homes up to a year or two after you move in, is it a new house? They thrive in damp conditions and feed on bits of plasterboard or the like. It is said that they will eventually die away but you can do things to help them on there way.

Make sure that your house is well ventilated and that you don't have condensation building up on a regular basis on your windows. Also try to seal any gaps that they can come out from behind the plasterboard, i.e. around a light switch. You can get pest control in to spray for them, but they don't really consider them a very big thing as they are so common.

Another bug which lives in a similar environment is silverfish, but I think what you have described is book lice. They can be quite fast when they want to be as well, and no they don't bite humans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

Cheers, Delly. I think you've hit the nail on the head there. We are in a new house, about a year old anyway, and these things have only started appearing in the last 3-4 months.

Now that I think of it, there are a good few settlement cracks around that still need sealing, esp. in the bathrooms. That's a job for this weekend.

Thanks a lot.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

silverfish look like this
    http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/entomology/factsheets/silverfi.html

they are a pain to try to get rid of. apparently they are older than dinosaurs!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Benster wrote:
    Cheers, Delly. I think you've hit the nail on the head there. We are in a new house, about a year old anyway, and these things have only started appearing in the last 3-4 months.

Now that I think of it, there are a good few settlement cracks around that still need sealing, esp. in the bathrooms. That's a job for this weekend.

Thanks a lot.

B.
    Happy to help :)

Advertisement