Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Critique Please

Options
  • 04-07-2006 10:01pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'd like to ge some feedback on this site and if there are any small changes I should make to improve usability etc. We were on a very tight budget so the site was done from a template on www.templatemonster.com - and yes before you say it, I know its best to pay a professional designer to make you the perfectly designed site, but this was a quick easy and cheap way to get a pretty attractive looking site. I know many people are not fans of flas but its what my dad wanted....

So I would appreciate any pointers on non fundamental changes that can improve the site

www.efconsulting.ie

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Nice, mostly easy to navigate, clean looking, professional.

My only gripes are the menu. I know you said your father wanted Flash on the site, but the HTML alternative at the bottom is pretty much non obvious if you don't have Flash installed. Personally, I would prefer a better HTML fallback. It does also get a little dull waiting for the menu to first load, and then play its animation if you're doing much navigating at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I would recommend to edit the flash part and make it smaller in width. it takes too much of the screen and the important message is not very visible.

You could probably add the logo into the flash part if you want to stick with it (not my cup of tea- flash that is).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The template has a non flash version as well www.efconsulting.ie/test/static but really I think that is a little boring...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

louie wrote:
    I would recommend to edit the flash part and make it smaller in width. it takes too much of the screen and the important message is not very visible.

You could probably add the logo into the flash part if you want to stick with it (not my cup of tea- flash that is).
    What resolution are you using, everything is perfectly space for me...

1028 resolution.
    When designing a website try using 15" screen, mostly recommended. Not everybody has a 17" one. You have to thing for thos ones as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Zascar wrote:
    The template has a non flash version as well www.efconsulting.ie/test/static but really I think that is a little boring...
    Surely the end user being able to use it should matter a lot more than how entertaining it is, especially on a business site?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

nice and clean and i think the flash is used very well, except that rollover noise has got to get on your nerves sooner rather than later.

Can you post a screenshot? I just changed my resolution to 1024x768 abd there was at least an inch of smace either side....

1024x768 would be the minimum resolution I would design for. There are very very few people who operate under that, but quite a few who have a far higher resolution. The majority of people hvae 17" screens or bigger these days.

Zascar wrote:
    Can you post a screenshot? I just changed my resolution to 1024x768 abd there was at least an inch of smace either side....

1024x768 would be the minimum resolution I would design for. There are very very few people who operate under that, but quite a few who have a far higher resolution. The majority of people hvae 17" screens or bigger these days.

Could be tru, but some of the visitors might have toolbars taking the space as well.

there is how I see it.

screen.jpg

Advertisement