Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jaffa Cakes-Cakes or Biscuits

• 05-07-2006 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

They're sold in the Biscuits section but they're taxed as cakes.Its werid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

And they don't look like cakes in the typical sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

oddly enough dunno if you noticed this but they are named cakes aswell :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Be there questions around here? Arrr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

There was a court case about this a while ago because of the tax thing.

I think it came down to cakes going hard when they go stale while biscuits go soft when they go stale - making Jaffa cakes cakes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Karoma wrote:
    That giant jaffa cake mentioned interests me greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Mini cakes... they're too squidgy-ly good to be biscuits and too titchy to be cakes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I want a giant jaffa cake, and they are cakes. Your sig is awesome rhyme, awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

If they rename them Jaffa Pseudobiscuits I will be a happy man.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They have already been renamed Jaffa Blarts on boards.

• Advertisement

Its very interesting now I copied and pasted that wikipedia article below.

Under UK law, no VAT is charged on biscuits and cakes — they are "zero rated". Chocolate covered biscuits, however, are classed as luxury items and are subject to VAT at 17.5%. McVitie's classed its Jaffa Cakes as cakes, but in 1991, this was challenged by HM Customs and Excise in court.[1] This may have been because Jaffa Cakes are about the same size and shape as some types of biscuit. The question which had to be answered was what criteria should be used to class something as a cake or biscuit. McVitie's defended the classification of Jaffa Cakes as a cake by producing a giant Jaffa Cake to illustrate that their Jaffa Cakes were simply mini cakes.

They also argued that the distinction between cakes and biscuits is simply that cakes go hard when stale, whereas biscuits go soft. It was demonstrated that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale and McVitie's won the case.[2]

The issue was revisited in an article entitled 'Are Jaffa Cakes really biscuits?' published in the Journal of Unlikely Science (Volume 1, issue 7, 2005). [3] The article attempted to classify biscuits via a scientific analysis of various features (size, shape, filling etc.) and determined that the Jaffa Cake should be regarded as a biscuit, or 'pseudobiscuit'.

"cakes go hard when stale whereas biscuits go soft".I've ate a good few soft biscuits in my time never knew they were stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

i could never decide. i think it's one of those enigmatic questions that will never be answered. Unless you asked the makers. I wonder what they'd say????
    ...probably cakes seeing as that's what they named em...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

i could never decide. i think it's one of those enigmatic questions that will never be answered. Unless you asked the makers. I wonder what they'd say????
    ...probably cakes seeing as that's what they named em...

Well they're cakes now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 mad ringo

I know them as Biscuits as you can dunk them into your tae, and normally you can't dunk a cake into your tae. End of :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

They're classed as cakes. Departmentally, they come under chocolate biscuits in supermarkets as they are boxed and shaped like biscuits, in the same way that you will find Maltana with both bread and cakes (both bread and cakes are normally located close to eachother anyway, but still).

Ringo, I've seen people dunk cheese in their tea. Does that make cheese a biscuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I always classed them as Jaffa cakes - sure isn't that their name. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i like cookies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

But which do you prefer, Jacobs or McVities?

I love Jacobs, much nicer than McVities.

Advertisement