Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*Spoiler* ECW 4th of July

• 05-07-2006 4:32am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭

well as many of us thought RVD has dropped his second title in 2days this time its the ECW belt and it has gone to The Big Show a choice which a lot of people will dislike tho if used right he could get Extreme IMO.

apart from the main event the show itself seemed 100% better simply cos it was infront of a proper ECW crowd who were not happy at all with the conclusion of the main event. througout the show good auld ECW chants such as "you cant wrestle" and "You suck dick" there was also a "you took steroids, you took steroids" chant aimed at Test who won his comeback match.

also which was quite odd there was a promo for Sabu about the time of the main event which may hint at the fact that he wont be fired cos after all why would they then continue to promote him?

The way big show won was kinda familiar, that is for anyone who remembers how when Paul Heyman used to manage Brock Lesnar and in promos building up to his match with Big show for the WWE title kept telling brock that we was worried about his chances just as he has been doing with RVD in recent promos despite the fact that Rob's his man. now Heyman just like then personally interfered against his man so that big show could take the strap.

so i guess i wasnt too far off with my recent predictions then.
    its possible that they could use an angle where paul heyman screws RVD out of the ECW title, because he is pissed that a headstrong RVD kept putting his title on the line in matches Heyman thought were a bad idea after all they once again had a pre-match promo where heyman undermined RVD and showed a lack of confidence in him pointing out how the odds were bad for him cos it was triple threat etc...

this would see RVD lose both title belts in 48hrs making a big statement against RVD's extra carricular activities and cos its ECW it would be easily achievable just by someone like Big-Show interfering in the obviously no DQ match causing Angle/dreamer or someone else to take the belt. or even Test interfering so as to make a big impact on his arrival.

its good that its ECW's own show tho and not a pre-smackdown taping again.

makes me wonder what will happen to RVD now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Reading the feedback to the show, people are saying it was worse than the debut.

The old ECW wrestlers like Al Snow and Little Guido had to put over Test and Mike Knox.

Giving the title to the Big Show is unbelievably stupid. The guy has been involved in a storyline with Dreamer that has just disappeared.

Why not give it to The Sandman? His storylines have involved beating up stupid gimmicks. He's also a champion that old ECW fans would accept.

I can't believe how much the WWE are f*cking things up. I also can't believe I was willing to give Vince McMuppet the benefit of the doubt originally.

A genius? The guy's a jackass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

while the rvd situation has been addressed in a typically corporate and professional manner, it just doesn't sit well with the ECW ethos, all thats happened in the last two days has been that Titan has reminded us that this isn't ECW but WWECW and it's like new coke, we don't want it man. i've gone past the point of giving the benefit of the doubt, ECW used to represent the rebel, the rock and roll if you know where i'm coming from, the guy who didn't belong and would shake up the comfortable. but vince is giving us a fake version of this. and demanding we like it cause we won't get what we want, everything has to have his slant on it. it'd be like if jerry bruckheimer started producing the kevin smith movies.
    ye know this summer clerks 2 *BOOM*

I've just now watched the ECW show and it was f*cking disgraceful. The only positive from the show was CM Punk's promo. It's the same old sh*t week after week.

Dumb stripper interrupted by the crap wrestler? Check.

Stupid vampire outside the building? Check.

Silly gimmick caned by Sandman? Check.

ECW wrestlers putting over new talent? Check.

There's got to be more than this than meets the eye. Surely not even WWE creative can be this stupid? There must be something more sinister at work here than just incompetence.

To top it off they have put the ECW belt on one of the worst big men in wrestling. That is surely anathema to what ECW is all about? Wasn't ECW about recognising talent rather than size? The reaction of the Philly crowd was really hostile and I'm not surprised.

I just can't understand how they can get One Night Stand to work yet they f*ck up spectacularly when it comes to weekly ECW shows. Like I said there has to be more to do this than idiocy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

There's got to be more than this than meets the eye. Surely not even WWE creative can be this stupid? There must be something more sinister at work here than just incompetence.

Its the same company who wrote the WCW angle, which was basically a money angle waiting to be cashed in. And they screwed it up.

Its the same company who wrote the WCW angle, which was basically a money angle waiting to be cashed in. And they screwed it up.

But did they screw it up unintentionally? It seemed to me that they could have made more money from it if Vince hadnt gone down the route of making himself look like the champion of the Monday Night Wars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Silly gimmick caned by Sandman? Check.

I cant recall being caned by the Sandman, and I resent being called silly! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

But did they screw it up unintentionally? It seemed to me that they could have made more money from it if Vince hadnt gone down the route of making himself look like the champion of the Monday Night Wars.

Thats exactly it. Vince was n't preapred to make him or "his" promotion WWE at the time weak (even though he obviously owned WCW at the time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I don't think they're intentionally screwing it up. I think they've given up on the old ECW and are just trying to create a new brand beside Raw and SD to aim at the regular fans, and try get some more in if they can

The title change on Raw I didn't mind, I think Edge is a deserving champ, but the ECW title change I didn't like. First off, what's Big Show done to deserve it? I didn't like the way it was done either. So Heyman's a heel now? What becomes of all his ECW "rebels"? The ones who invaded Raw because Paul wanted them to. Do they all become heels now too, or do they quit ECW because of it? It's not going to make sense, which is happening a little too often

Some nice chants by the old school fans, "Knox sucks cocks" and "marijuana!" being the best, haha

Rest of the show, apart from one 20 second period, was ****e. Squash matchs are very boring, especially 2 in a 1 hour show. Wrestlers come off looking better when they've won a hard fought match rather than a squash. It's also a lot more entertaining

But best part of the show, obviously, was CM PUNK!! One thing worries me though, he pointed out that he's straight-edge, but he came across as more of a face than a heel. His straight-edge gimmick is perfect for getting him across as a heel, and he's a born heel anyway. Hopefully he gets put in more than squash matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Seems like a bad attempt to scamble together a show for ECW tbh. CM Punk is probably being put out ahead of schdule too.

What does it matter with Punk? It's not like he's not ready to be put on tv. That vampire guy still hasn't managed to get into the arena yet. That priest guy was the guy who played Macho Libre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 I_Need_a_Life

Now, if I was booking this...

RVDs back in 30 days give or take, right? CM Punks vignettes are JUST starting...

What better way toi kick off his straight edge gimmick then with RVD. RVDs gonna be in the doghouse for a while, so they probably arent going to give him a top line feud for a LONG time, and seeing as how no-one rates Punk in wwe (Bar Heyman. Dreamer and from what ive read, people who actually have a clue) it would probably be a perfect way to start off punks career.

...In Theory, In Theory, Communism works!

As we should all know by now, Vince and the rest of the wwe "creative" team hates us, us, of course being, all of those in the least bit knowledgable about wrestling, those of us who have grown up with it, and who treat it with the respect it deserves. Vince and the WWE only care about the casual fans, ones who wont ask questions about the NONSENSE booking of the last 3 years, ones who think eugene is entertaining, ones who still think "Mr McMahons" evil boss thing is still entertaining (Nearly 10 friggin years of this stuff) and the ones who think the Miz is entertaining (Give. Me. A. Break!)

WWE is never going to change. It has no need too. It made over 10 million dollers in profit so far this year, obviously, in their eyes, they are doing ok! They have realised they dont need us, each week they gather new recruits, tuning into smackdown, raw or now, ECW. And thats why they are doing this to "Our" ECW. To make money. They are a business. The old ECW, whilst we loved it, never made a penny. Therefore, in WWEs eyes, why appeal to us old fans, who they made no money off, when they can make NEW fans, who will buy every single piece of gaudy mass marketed crap theyll peddle. Cos its business, thats why theyll do it, and they probably will be really really successful.

Well, I realise that I may have strayed off the point there, but, I needed to say that...

Rambling, incoherent posts are awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Nightmareofgold

So this means there going to make CM punk after six or months of creating the storyline...mmm...

By the way do they show ECW live now?

gimmick wrote:
    I cant recall being caned by the Sandman, and I resent being called silly! :o

I liked your dancing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

As we should all know by now, Vince and the rest of the wwe "creative" team hates us, us, of course being, all of those in the least bit knowledgable about wrestling, those of us who have grown up with it, and who treat it with the respect it deserves. Vince and the WWE only care about the casual fans, ones who wont ask questions about the NONSENSE booking of the last 3 years, ones who think eugene is entertaining, ones who still think "Mr McMahons" evil boss thing is still entertaining (Nearly 10 friggin years of this stuff) and the ones who think the Miz is entertaining (Give. Me. A. Break!)

WWE is never going to change. It has no need too. It made over 10 million dollers in profit so far this year, obviously, in their eyes, they are doing ok! They have realised they dont need us, each week they gather new recruits, tuning into smackdown, raw or now, ECW. And thats why they are doing this to "Our" ECW. To make money. They are a business. The old ECW, whilst we loved it, never made a penny. Therefore, in WWEs eyes, why appeal to us old fans, who they made no money off, when they can make NEW fans, who will buy every single piece of gaudy mass marketed crap theyll peddle. Cos its business, thats why theyll do it, and they probably will be really really successful.

My thoughts exactly! By the way, i'm pretty sure that the 'priest' was in ECW before. Wasn't he in a group called the baldies? From New york or somenthing?
    When this weeks show started, I initially thought that it was gonna be the best show so far. How wrong was I? I'm so feckin' sick of Kelly now. Please put her in a no-ropes, barb-wire, exploding tables, electrified cage match!:mad: Phew. I'm so glad that Knox got loads of **** from the crowd because, well, as they said themselves 'You can't wrestle'. Actually maybe he can but Vince probably told him not to have too many 'high spots' or something.
    Its one thing to have one feckin' squash match but two?!. Nice one for the you take steroids chant though!
    Not only was the main event slow and a bit boring it also had a really irritating finish that sums up the direction that this new ECW is goin' in.
    Not surprised at all with the crowd reaction at the end. If I was there I would have gladly joined in, aiming more for Heyman because he his now officially Vince's bitch.
    The crowd that night really captured the feeling of frustration us die-hard fans are feeling right now at seeing something that used to be so special and original being destroyed right before our eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭castagnoli

I think, all things considered, the title change was well done. Given RVD's arrest and suspension the title had to change hands. Giving it to someone like Sandman or Dreamer would have been WAY worse and would just seem like the obvious thing to do. Giving it to the Big Show and reuniting him with Heyman is the best they could have done. This will setup a meaningful feud between them and Dreamer, with Heyman trying his best to keep the title from Dreamer.
    As far as Heyman goes, I guess he's heel now, which is where he's at his best. He will cut some decent promos for the first time in weeks. Hopefully this will end the Raw link, no more Cena! And the Rebels won't rally around Heyman anymore which should put an end to those cringeworthy scenes in the lockerroom with all the ECW chants. Despite this, he did look as if he was ****ting on his granny counting the three for Show.

Van Dam and Angle being gone for a month is not a bad thing at all, it will allow TV time for the others, especially Punk!!

I agreed with everything said about Kelly/Knox/squash matches. They all have to go. Test too.

Correct about the priest guy, he was also Macho Libre and was in ECW before. He was in the Carnage Crew too!!! (ROH pops whenever I can!)

I like the idea of Punk vs RVD, but he is too high profile a guy to start him against, imo. I'd really love to see some jobber playing the goody two shoes come in next week, call out Sandman, giving out about his drinking etc, have him do his bit, and then let Misera Cantare play and let the fun start! It does seem like he will be a face first though.

On a sidenote, Vince McMahon IS a genius, a moneymaking whore of a genius, but a genius none the less. If it wasn't for him, we would be on a forum talking about tiddlywinks or something similar, so ease up on the guy. BTW have ye seen him on Raw over the last few weeks? While the DX stuff is great, its made ten times better by Vince.
    :)

castagnoli wrote:
    I think, all things considered, the title change was well done. Given RVD's arrest and suspension the title had to change hands. Giving it to someone like Sandman or Dreamer would have been WAY worse and would just seem like the obvious thing to do. Giving it to the Big Show and reuniting him with Heyman is the best they could have done. This will setup a meaningful feud between them and Dreamer, with Heyman trying his best to keep the title from Dreamer.
    That's the WWE in you there. Drama stories are a WWE thing. Agreed Dreamer or Sandman gettin the title would be just as bad but still turning Heyman heel and reuniting him with Big show is very WWE = ECW stupid.

I'd say Dreamer will be the one to challenge for the title, unless his column this week is for real: http://www.wwe.com/shows/ecw/commentary/070806diary

Sabu's gettin a title match at an ECW house show while RVD is suspended, kinda funny

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

Whoa, that was heavy blog by Dreamer. It's good to see it that it actually made it onto the website though considering how trigger happy WWE are with regards to censorship.

I think he's means it as in a different way. He's probably talkin about what Heyman did imo rather than what goes on in ECW every week.

Stalfos wrote:
    That's the WWE in you there. Drama stories are a WWE thing. Agreed Dreamer or Sandman gettin the title would be just as bad but still turning Heyman heel and reuniting him with Big show is very WWE = ECW stupid.

I don't think its stupid. The story has created the one thing that ECW has lacked in abundance since its return, emotion. The crowd were livid when the Big Show won, and rightly so. Its similar to TNA
    giving the title back to Jarrett, everyone hates it but knows it wont last too long, but the thing is is its got the crowd involved
    On second thoughts, I dont think Dreamer is the man to be the next champion. As i said before, it would be too obvious to give it to him now. The fact that he held the title for 18 minutes in 2000, and that was his only reign, suggests to me that they might have bigger plans for him and the title. Sabu is the only other guy on the roster now that I would bother giving the title to, but because of the drug charges I cant see it happening too soon.

On a complete aside, did anyone know Mickey James is engaged to Kenny Doane from the Spirit Squad!!

• Advertisement

castagnoli wrote:
    On a complete aside, did anyone know Mickey James is engaged to Kenny Doane from the Spirit Squad!!

I heard that a good while ago. She must be at least 5 years older than him, haha

Sandman might be given a shot at the title when he stops this caning of idiots. I wonder if a big ECW title match will be put on a ppv somehow, like Summerslam, or if they'll just keep it on their tv show?

Kenny's a lucky boy!!
    Did I read somwhere that there are ECW ppv's planned for after christmas? I guess it depends on how successful it is between now and then. I can see a few big ECW matches ending up on WWE ppv's, then cant keep guys like Angle and van Dam off ppv!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I would guess that it will simply be considerd another WWE brand show like Raw and Smackdown and thus be given its own PPV's but get matches at the big WWE pay per views such as Summerslam an Survivor series and will give the WWE the chance to sound ground breakin with the first ever non-WWE match at Wrestlemania or the first ever non-WWE wrestler in the Royal Rumble etc

They've got an ECW ppv booked for December 3rd. Sci-Fi only have the show booked for the summer though, don't they? They'll probably stick an ECW match on SNME this week actually, wouldn't surprise me. They seem to be committed to ECW in the long term though, they said they don't expect to make a profit til after the first year

I was readin on PWInsider.com just there that some fan asked Mickey James for her autograph while her and Kenny were stopped at a red light in their car, and when the light went green Kenny drove off holding onto the fan's sign, injuring him. The fan seems to be making a bigger deal of it than it was, sayin he's goin to sue and ****, could get Kenny in a little bit of trouble though

castagnoli wrote:
    I don't think its stupid. The story has created the one thing that ECW has lacked in abundance since its return, emotion. The crowd were livid when the Big Show won, and rightly so. Its similar to TNA
    giving the title back to Jarrett, everyone hates it but knows it wont last too long, but the thing is is its got the crowd involved
    You dont need a spoiler at this point, every should know JJ has the title by now. And the reason they were throwing stuff a him is because he practically owns TNA and keeps givin himself the title. Only reason the crowd had emotion this week was because the were in Philadelphia, home of ECW. I'd bet money the crowd will be dead next week. As for Big show gettin the title, i dont like it because whom ever hold the title has to represent the company and get pushed into the contender spot(call me old fashioned) and Big show probablt got the title cause he was big.

Advertisement