Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Service before NCT

Options
  • 05-07-2006 8:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

can anyone suggest a good place to go for car service before my NCT that wont rip me off!!;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

jezzzzzus.... no.
    don't get it serviced BEFORE the test, waste of money.

get the test done and let them tell ya whats wrong with your car(if anything)
    then get the car fixed or serviced and return it back to the test center.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

*edit* - doh - \m/_(>_<)_\m/ got there before me. (that's some alias \m/_(>_<)_\m/ !!!). Here's my comment anyway.

Can I make a suggestion to you ?

No mechanic will be able to guarantee you that your car will pass the NCT. Therefore, when doing my NCT I always service the car after doing the test. That way if you do fail you can get the specific problem addressed rather than paying for a service and whatever repairs and still end up failing potentially.

Just my 2c, and the way I've always done it.

If you still want a mechanic recommendation, please post what area you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Bitsie wrote:
    can anyone suggest a good place to go for car service before my NCT that wont rip me off!!;)
    Where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What the other guys said. But don't fail the NCT on something stupid like a blown headlight. Do a basic service yourself, check your lights, tyres and washer, stuff like that. If you fail, bring the cert to the garage and get them to fix only what needs to be fixed. If you turn up at a garage and tell them you want your car readied for the NCT, they'll fix a load of stuff that doesn't need fixing, with no guarantee of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I get NCTs done first and any necessary work done after as per previous posters.

Do ensure that all rear seat belt receivers are visible and not trapped below the seat (insert seat belts to be sure) and remove all your hubcaps if you have any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Slow coach wrote:
    If you turn up at a garage and tell them you want your car readied for the NCT, they'll fix a load of stuff that doesn't need fixing, with no guarantee of success.

I normally have used the NCT as an excuse to spend a bit of money on the car sorting out some long standing niggly things like dents, tracking, getting it serviced for the sake of it, and doing the belt if it was anywhere near close...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Slow coach wrote:
    don't fail the NCT on something stupid like a blown headlight

Or a license plate. See my sig

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote:
    Or a license plate. See my sig
    That plate could have killed someone so they were right to fail you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

kbannon wrote:
    That plate could have killed someone so they were right to fail you!
    Exactly, imagine the pile up if someone drove right up behind you:

'D' Reg - Baile Atha.... something, hang on I'll just get a bit closer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Bitsie

Gurgle wrote:
    Where are you?

I am on the northside of Dublin

oh and there is a big enough dent in the side of the car which i dont have the money at the moment to get fixed, would it fail because of this...it doesnt effect opening any doors or anything like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement