Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgraging 2000 server to 2003 server questions

• 05-07-2006 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    We have a Windows 2000 server that was used as a file server and held our user profiles till about 2 years ago and now needs to be running Windows 2003. Can I presume that I can just upgrade to 2003 or is there anything in particular that I'll need to do? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

here's the Microsoft white paper on it - should give you all the info you need.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=325379

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Conlai

That article is talking about domain controllers, which this is not. I'm pretty sure it's just a straight upgrade but want to make sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Make sure that any software is patched to a version that supports 2003 beforehand. Preferably test in advance, in vmware or the like.

Check that 2K3 compatible drivers are available, especially raid controllers.

Microsoft recommend that antivirus software is disabled.

Distributed file system (DFS) services are reported as having an issue with the migration, so if you're making use of it, consider transferring files & removing before upgrade and recreate afterwards.

Backups, and a rollback disk image are nice to have.

Haven't had a problem other than some ancient backup sw and printer drivers. Nothing like as bad as the Nt4 to 2000 issues, which had me dead set against using MS OS upgrades.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Check the model of you server on the manufacturers website to make sure it's compatible. I had two HP Lp200r's sitting idle and discovered w2k3 isn't supported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

Take an image of your 2000 server and you'll ease the potential strain...

Regarding the upgrade, in my experience, I've never had a problem from 2000 to 2003 when its not an AD.

osmethod

• Advertisement
Advertisement