Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sharing bb over wifi

• 05-07-2006 9:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

trying to share my wifi with my sisters house, ( i know eircom dont like it but she is on a pair gain, so fook them)

houses are about 80m apart and my roupter is in my attic, she has a pci wifi card in the pc in her upstairs bedroom on the far side of the house- the normal wifi ariels won't connect,

any suggestion on how to increase the range, without having to relocate her pc, if i need to fit new ariels can you provide a link to some good ones (hoping to get this working for less then €50)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Some high gain antenna's on router and PCI card might work. Linksys have some, I presume other manufacturers do as well. You might try posting on irishwan.org forums, they prob have more experience with long range equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i'll search though it, thanks

oh btw i meant 80meters not 80 miles

these look good http://www.wi-pipe.com/2.4GHz.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

mukki wrote:
    houses are about 80m apart and my router is in my attic, she has a pci wifi card in the pc in her upstairs bedroom on the far side of the house- the normal wifi ariels won't connect
    If she really doesn't want to move the pc you could run some low loss cable up to the roof /to front of house ( say rg213 or better lmr400, won't be that cheap tho.. ) to antenna
    ..You need to get a lightning protector for this , even then a near-ish-by strike could take out the pc.
    As far as antennas go its only a tiny hop really, you don't need monsters.
    If the houses are sort of parallel , you could buy 2 empty alarm boxes (cheap enough at the right place) and hide two home made antennas in there, it would be nice n tidy.
    Or you could get her a router/ethernet extender thingy , stick it in a window at the side facing you and use that, and run a cable back to her pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I am doing pretty much the same thing at the moment, except it is to connect two offices together for internal networks. The sites are only about 150 meters away with perfect LOS. I went into Maplins and got a 12 dBi Gain directional anthenna for next to nothing. I added this to a Linksys AP and positioned the anthenna to point at the other site (its actually indoors in an attic). On the remote site (One PC) I just installed a stardard PCI WNIC , the signal is perfect and has been running well for months.

Couple of things to consider though - Make sure you know the connector type of your AP or Router (SMA, TNC etc). And try to avoid disparate cards & AP's i.e If you have a linksys router try and get a linksys card on the other site. The reasoning for this suggestions is encryption. You might consider configuring WPA on the AP. I have run into trouble in the past trying to get disparate cards running to AP's with certain encryption methods - international standard me ar*e!!!

Advertisement