Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westmeath - good place to live?

Options
  • 05-07-2006 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm going for a job interview in Westmeath in the next couple of months and know very little about the county, so if you can help me out it'd be great.

On the offchance I get the job, I could be based anywhere in the county and we want to live in a rural location, ie anywhere off the humonguous estate we currently live in in north Wicklow.

This is part of our 'escape to the country' dream - we'd never afford a detached house in Wicklow, prices there are just silly. Judging by prices I see on myhome.ie and daft.ie we could have a nice home and be nearly or completely mortgage-free.

My hubby can do painting/decorating anywhere, well, anywhere there's a need!

What's Westmeath like to live in? What are the pros and cons? Anyone had any good experiences moving there?

Thanks a mil!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Hi Goffie,

Two big towns, Athlone and Mullingar. Both of these have everything you could need and are roughly the same size. Most of the current expansion is taking place around these towns and around the improving N4 and N6, so if you want peace and quiet stay away from these areas. The quietest areas are probably the Longford border area and west of Lough Ennell(Ballymore, Streamstown, Castletown).

In general it's a good place to live. Much busier than even five years ago, but the expansion of the towns has also brought a much better variety or restaurants and shops.

Best advice I could give you at the moment would be to have a browse through the estate agent windows in Mullingar or Athlone and then get a map and go for a drive around the county for a few hours. It'll give you a much better idea of prices and accessability and a good general feel for the place.

Best of luck

Pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

Athlone is a lovely town, I stayed there for a few months at one stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you will be spending a lot of time in Dublin then Go with the mullingar area. Both Athlone and Mullingar are as good as small cities. Mullingar is a LOT closer to Dublin etc and also close to Tullamore.. another large town.
    Im in rochfortbridge which is 10 mins from Mullingar / 40 mins from Dublin on the N6. Small village, very nice.. dead handy for commuting.

Advertisement