Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSI for racing bike wheels

Options
  • 05-07-2006 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Just wondering.. I've a racing bike and havent pumped the wheels since I bought it. I have a small bike pump that clips to the frame but it dosnt seem to pump the wheels to the right psi. (They're still soft!)

What do I need?? Would a standard air line in a petrol station do the trick?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Not unless you have a presta adapter - I assume the racing bike has presta valves?! i.e. the skinny type and not the schrader valves you get on larger tyres...

A standard bicycle foot pump is what you need - Lidl were selling these cheap a month ago :D

the ideal pressure range is usually written on the tyre wall - for a 700x23/25c it's about 90 - 110psi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Trotter wrote:
    You can buy an adapter (e1-e2) that screws onto the Presta valve and allows you to use petrol station pumps.
    I have a Topeak Master Blaster Mini Pump with guage. It's e22 there. It pumps up to 120psi and is dual action (pumps when pushing and when pulling).

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Trotter wrote:
    Just wondering.. I've a racing bike and havent pumped the wheels since I bought it. I have a small bike pump that clips to the frame but it dosnt seem to pump the wheels to the right psi. (They're still soft!)

What you need to get a track pump and keep your tyres around 110 psi and 120 psi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Excellent.. I got the little adaptor and Im gonna get one of the bigger pumps to use at home too.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

daymobrew wrote:
    You can buy an adapter (e1-e2) that screws onto the Presta valve and allows you to use petrol station pumps.
    I have a Topeak Master Blaster Mini Pump with guage. It's e22 there. It pumps up to 120psi and is dual action (pumps when pushing and when pulling).

Daymo, when it says 'Effortlessly inflates to 120psi ' is that
    "Im a world weight lifting champion and I find it effortless"
    or
    "Im the guy from the mr muscle adds and I find it effortless"
    or somewhere in between?!!!
    Thanks,
    R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Daymo, when it says 'Effortlessly inflates to 120psi ' is that
    "Im a world weight lifting champion and I find it effortless"
    or
    "Im the guy from the mr muscle adds and I find it effortless"
    or somewhere in between?!!!
    Thanks,
    R
    Somewhere in between. It's relatively easy because you are not pushing much air in each time. You'll need some stamina because it takes quite a few strokes to pump the tyre. The pump includes a bracket to it to my frame (at bottle cage). It is so convenient to use I find myself checking the tyres more frequently than I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

daymobrew wrote:
    Somewhere in between. It's relatively easy because you are not pushing much air in each time. You'll need some stamina because it takes quite a few strokes to pump the tyre. The pump includes a bracket to it to my frame (at bottle cage). It is so convenient to use I find myself checking the tyres more frequently than I used to.
    Cheers was considering getting a track pump but if this works it would be best as I could use it when Im commuting too!
    Thanks,
    R

Advertisement