Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do I get Marine Ply for Tiling Kitchen

Options
  • 05-07-2006 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

It's been recommended to be to get some marine ply for underneath tiles on my kitchen floor. I've been reading other posts on here, and there seem to be people for and against.

Just wondering where I can get the plywood from, and what thickness I should use. (6mm, 9mm ?)
    I tried Chadwicks, but the only stuff they had was too thick. (16mm)

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Why does it have to be Marine Ply? WBP will do just as well as marine ply and costs a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Any decent hardware store would have it.
    They may refer to it as WPP (water proof ply).
    9mm sounds OK - but I'm open to correction by more experienced boardies.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

Noyeks in Ballymount have all that stuff. http://www.noyeksnewmans.com/SheetingPlywood.htm

WBP stands for weather boil proof exterior grade ply.
    Marine ply is different and much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 def345

Cheers CJ, I'll try the WBP so,

I'll give Noyeks a call

Looks like I'm sorted for the weekend so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

I got some in Buckley’s builder’s providers recently very cheap in comparison to woodies etc. I used 9mm (on advice from tiler) this was far too thick as i now have to raise the saddle board slightly on one side to match with the thickness of the tile + ply, if I had to do it again I would opt for 3mm or at most 6mm

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

The thickness of ply used depends on how solid the floor below is and the size of area that is being tiled. If you jump in the centre of the room and can feel any give in the floorboards you are going to see something like 9mm to be rigid enough to stop the tiles coming loose..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Doing the same job here at home ,getting the floor ready for a tiler.
    Was amazed that the tile adhesive for such ply is costing 350 euro.

I'm putting down 6mm ply ,otherwise it will take over the hall in height.

I'm getting it in chadwicks ,I'm sure buckleys are as cheap.

PS I think it's the adhesive thats the most important rather than the thickness of the ply ??

How many buckets of adhesive do you get for 350?
    I bought Larsen waterproof tile adhesive and I believe it was something like 35 a bucket.
    Is it a huge area that you are tiling?

not at all ,its about 12 foot by 15 foot ,the adhesive is for raised wooden floors, obviously it bends or something with the floor movement.

Edit : I'm getting the adhesive and tiles ,the tiler is doing the job ,I don't know exactly what the story is with the adhesive ,the tiler is good though ,very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭chabsey

Had to do the same thing recently and was told by the person fitting the floor to get marine ply. I priced it and was shocked at how expensive it was, the builder suppliers suggested WBP and I rang the fitter who said it was a perfectly fine substitute. It cost a fraction of the price of the marine ply, less than half price, and worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

Can't remember where I read that but the adhesive has to be flexible to allow tiny movements and there is a special one, otherwise the tiles might crack if the adhesive is rigid...

Just thinking about what was asked earlier about why marine ply ,any other ply would probably rot from dampness etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 def345

I understand that you'd need some better form of ply wood to stop dampness etc. but I get the impression from people here that WBP (weather & boil proof) exterior grade ply is enough.

Probably is ,maybe people use the term marine ply as a way of defining wood thats suitable for tiling.
    We have to use marine ply in bathrooms ,because enough is not good enough ,it has to be done right .
    Kitchen floors aren't so necessary I suppose ,because all you'll be doing is light mopping .

Advertisement