Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you getting sick of boards yet?

• 05-07-2006 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

As you can see I am a long member of boards, back when I was a young fellow I was sent to boards by a mate to buy a mobile phone, for 3 years I have advertised boards and have made sure alot of my mates and brother(lemlin) have joined up and used for all sort of subject, from GAA to cant say on here but "personal problems". All have been very impressed with boards till the last few months, now I am not saying it from my own view but have been talking to a few lads in last week and they couldnt be bothered.

Probably the start of me getting bored with boards was on the soccer forum, everyone who posts on there will know me, anyway just have got sick of the atitude over there and this has been seen by 2 banning's in the last month(if you research the banning are just a mod trying to get back at me for disagreeing with him), on the first one I challenged it in the feedback and ended up with the thread been closed with no problem response but I couldnt really care anymore.

In the end what is my point you are probably asking? well years ago when I joined boards was a group of people who where out to help each other, we all sold/bought from each other in knowledge that nobody would screw someone over. We discussed topics in the knowledge that everyone would take each other point and discuss it and not just give a pile of abuse. That is all gone, we now have constant con men on the sales forum, sometimes involving the Garda to sort out. You make a comment which someone disagree's with and you have 2 pages of peope roaring abuse at you. Try to sell anything and again you have 2 pages of crap where someone can find it cheaper or on my last sale had other people PM the potential buyer to tell him not to buy because it was cheaper here, when I mentioned to mods was told this was a loop so could do nothing

Just wondering how many long time user are getting si*k of this sh*t that goes on here?

Most of the decent mods are gone now so we are left with alot of what I can see if childish ones who run after who ever disagrees with them and wait till anything for an oppurtunity to ban them. Then bask in there own personal glory. We have constant threads in the feedback forum about this and nothing is done, like myself we get a message back saying it was in the mods forum. Who really gives a f**k about the mods forum? This is supposed to be a user friendly place not a mods friendly place.

Anyway will prob see 2 pages of "ahh your just after the mods" etc but really Im not, I have great time for alot of the mods and have had great discussion with them but my point is got to do with the overall site. Are you getting bored with it and the cr*p that goes on here daily???
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

You got me banned! Anyway, I find boards to be very useful for many things and for the most part mods do an excellent job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

This has been happening for years. People have been coming and going since boards started. You're only sick of the place because you've been getting into trouble with the mods.

You should get a blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

Well i have to say that it's not as interesting as it used to be. I mean there were days that I could have been on boards for 4 or 5 hours at a time in the middle of a debdate about something. I really think that it's become a little PC & that people only bother to personally attack other posters now.
    I don't see that as very interesting to be honest & there's also alot of groups that follow each other around to different forums just to pat each other on the back... that really annoys me.... where are all the good posters gone???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

kinaldo wrote:
    You got me banned! Anyway, I find boards to be very useful for many things and for the most part mods do an excellent job.

lol, pointing finger in wrong direction. I got banned for calling Shearer a "prat" and Wright a "muppet". Nothing got to do with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

I've been using boards since early 2000 (banned) and while i've seen alot of the same threads pop up over and over, there's always something new to look at, or some new information to be obtained, help to be given, laughs to be had etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

As with anything, if it becomes more popular it will become a target for twats (Especially if it's open to anyone and on the internet, remember, audience + anonimity = d1ckhead?). You just gotta rise above it and have some cop on. Don't get into flame wars, don't buy from obviously questionable people, etc...

As for you trying to sell something and others telling people about to buy where they can find it for cheaper.... well, that's exactly the kind of spirit I would want on boards. What's wrong with people telling you where to get something for cheaper?!!

Personally, I don't think boards has changed much since I got here, and if it has it's only for the better as more "casual" people enter the fray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Get over it, move on, boards.ie survival of the fittest.:D
    More poeple use boards now so theres more shyte.
    Mods do their best etc.
    When buying or selling just just have your brain turned on and you'll be fine.
    Soccer forums are always a nightmare because ultimately they boil down 'x is no good' or 'waht are you talking about x is amazing' etc.

ravenhead wrote:
    Well i have to say that it's not as interesting as it used to be. I mean there were days that I could have been on boards for 4 or 5 hours at a time in the middle of a debdate about something. I really think that it's become a little PC & that people only bother to personally attack other posters now.
    I don't see that as very interesting to be honest & there's also alot of groups that follow each other around to different forums just to pat each other on the back... that really annoys me.... where are all the good posters gone???

Exactly!! I knew someone would come on with the mods cr*p but as I have said I have no probs with 99% of the mods!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Put this on your bebo page instead, n00b

As for you trying to sell something and others telling people about to buy where they can find it for cheaper.... well, that's exactly the kind of spirit I would want on boards. What's wrong with people telling you where to get something for cheaper?!!

Well this was a brand new DVD player I got with my TV, had one already one I wanted to keep cause it cost me a fortune so was selling for 30 quid, was worth over 80. Someone PM everyone telling them about one in Dunnes that couldnt do half the formats mine could and telling them to buy it, because they didnt bother to post on the thread I couldnt tell this to the buyer, if you dont see that as underhanded then I dont know what is

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote:
    Put this on your bebo page instead, n00b

And this is the sort of sh*t I am talking about!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

Big Nelly wrote:
    Exactly!! I knew someone would come on with the mods cr*p but as I have said I have no probs with 99% of the mods!

Yeah i don't think there's anything wrong with them, I mean in general they let a few things go .. it's some of the people that are posting here that are causing the site to become irritating more than anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Boards is crap because 99% of the posters are moaning, whinging, bitter losers with no life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

First off, the soccer forum. Unfortunately, the mods over there are now victims of their own consistancy. This rule about not being able to insult soccer players etc is just silly and makes a mockery of the whole forum to the point where it's become a sissy forum. But the second they banned one person because of it, it meant that they had to be consistant with it and ban everyone who broke that particular. To be honest I think the mods there are not huge fans of that rule themselves (maybe I'm wrong) but it's started now and there's not a whole lot they can do without it. The soccer forum was always going to be like that B. Nelly because passions are always very high. I mean the ironic thing here is I know you've reported people (me included) for the very sillyness that you're complaining about there. Basically if I can manage to post on the soccer forum without ever been banned then anyone can.

RE: Mods. You may have a point with some mods actually, they appear to have taken their job a little too seriously and come down on the slightest little thing just to give themselves something to do, a reason to use their power etc. This isn't that common though and one thing I've noticed on the mod forum is that they give each other grief as much as they give it to everyone else. I've seen mods get into tiffs because someone banned someone and all the other mods didn't agree and defended the user etc...you'd be surprised what goes on there I guess is what I'm saying.

Boards is grand, especially if you use it for what you like, and stick to that. I could say that I get annoyed by attention seekers and those who love to start threads about the most meaningless news, just to be the first to start it. But I won't. Sure, there are people who make you want to murder via your office/bedroom but if you remember that these people are probably gutless teens, 12 year olds, or unmarried obese 50 year olds then you'll get over it pretty quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Big Nelly wrote:
    one in Dunnes that couldnt do half the formats mine could

Well that makes a difference. The way you described it "[I was trying to sell something, a guys was telling people where they could buy it for cheaper...]" sounds like he was telling them where to buy the exact same product, but obviously this was not the case. Yes, he should have just posted it in your main selling thread instead of PMing.

Well CiaranC has been around since... '01? So I guess that kind of thing has always been around! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

And getting banned from forums is half the fun of boards, it's just less fun if you get site banned.

fade2black wrote:
    I mean the ironic thing here is I know you've reported people (me included) for the very sillyness that you're complaining about there. Basically if I can manage to post on the soccer forum without ever been banned then anyone can.

Your mistaken here, the only time I reported a post was in the motor forum, I was abit heated which I admitted on the thread 20 mins later and mike came on and said so as well and was taking no action. About 15 post later WWM came onto the thread with a pile of abuse about reporting posts. I learned my lesson then and never reported afterwards.

Of course the soccer forum is heated but it is mostly Liverpool v Arsenal v Man Utd crap. I am a Shef Wed supporter but everytime(including the thread I was banned on) I post on something I get accused of being a Man Utd supporter etc. People just cant see out of the loop of supporting one of the top teams. Here's looking at you kinaldo who I am supposed to have got banned.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm not getting you Big Nelly.
    The day I find Boards boring is the day I'll stop logging on here.
    You can do the same you know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Big Nelly wrote:
    Of course the soccer forum is heated but it is mostly Liverpool v Arsenal v Man Utd crap. I am a Shef Wed supporter but everytime(including the thread I was banned on) I post on something I get accused of being a Man Utd supporter etc. People just cant see out of the loop of supporting one of the top teams. Here's looking at you kinaldo who I am supposed to have got banned.

Ah of course u didn't get me banned, I know that! Sorry though I shoulda used a smiley instead of an exclamation point. As for accusing u of being a Man Utd supporter - a simple misundertanding. I just naturally assumed as most of the anti-Shearer stuff I have to put up with is from their supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Big Nelly wrote:
    In the end what is my point you are probably asking? well years ago when I joined boards was a group of people who where out to help each other, we all sold/bought from each other in knowledge that nobody would screw someone over. We discussed topics in the knowledge that everyone would take each other point and discuss it and not just give a pile of abuse.

Rofl, the amount of abuse on boards used to expotentially higher. Why? Because it was mostly a gamer site. Then with a greater influx of people who weren't used to this community took offence to the style so mods have to start changing things. This caused a lot of discontent in the ranks. People prefer to able to abuse people like in real life and prefered modding by mass abuse. Twats would get sick of abuse and leave. Plus it was a lot more fun that way.
    A lot of people left the site because of this distancing from the gaming community. I wasn't particulary happy with the changes, nor I am still but there is still plenty to keep me hanging around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

fade2black wrote:
    First off, the soccer forum. Unfortunately, the mods over there are now victims of their own consistancy. This rule about not being able to insult soccer players etc is just silly and makes a mockery of the whole forum to the point where it's become a sissy forum.

No offence fade, but you joined boards 6 months after the Soccer forum was closed because of an inordinate amount of abuse/fueds/flaming/general sh*tehawkery. Have you read back over any of the threads from then?

Here's the Feedback thread on the subject, all 16 pages of it

Have a search of the Soccer forum for the month of April 2004 for more.

The Soccer mods have a thankless task, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Because of the amount of s*it they have to trawl through every day, any application of common sense (say, deleting a post rather than banning a poster) earns them the abuse of previously banned members (why he's not getting banned wha wha wha). The mods have to be heavy handed because some people are incapable of using their common sense and view eveything in black & white.

Every time somebody calls RVN Horseface or Wayne Rooney Shrek there'll be a Utd fan who takes offence and responds in kind (and vice versa, its not confined to one club's supporters). Threads descend into insults and abuse. Insults and abuse got the forum closed before, and it can happen again.

There are plenty of places on the net where people can express themselves a little more forcefully. Try the footy forum on www.thumped.com , you can say pretty much whatever the hell you want over there.

Beruthiel wrote:
    I'm not getting you Big Nelly.
    The day I find Boards boring is the day I'll stop logging on here.
    You can do the same you know...

Its just a question, when I joined there was a good group of guys around I knew and where all sound, these guys have seemed to have gone so I am wondering if everyone is getting pi**ed off with boards!!!

Questions dont hurt you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Big Nelly wrote:
    As you can see I am a long member of boards, back when I was a young fellow I was sent to boards by a mate to buy a mobile phone, for 3 years I have advertised boards and have made sure alot of my mates and brother(lemlin) have joined up and used for all sort of subject, from GAA to cant say on here but "personal problems". All have been very impressed with boards till the last few months, now I am not saying it from my own view but have been talking to a few lads in last week and they couldnt be bothered.

Probably the start of me getting bored with boards was on the soccer forum, everyone who posts on there will know me, anyway just have got sick of the atitude over there and this has been seen by 2 banning's in the last month(if you research the banning are just a mod trying to get back at me for disagreeing with him), on the first one I challenged it in the feedback and ended up with the thread been closed with no problem response but I couldnt really care anymore.

In the end what is my point you are probably asking? well years ago when I joined boards was a group of people who where out to help each other, we all sold/bought from each other in knowledge that nobody would screw someone over. We discussed topics in the knowledge that everyone would take each other point and discuss it and not just give a pile of abuse. That is all gone, we now have constant con men on the sales forum, sometimes involving the Garda to sort out. You make a comment which someone disagree's with and you have 2 pages of peope roaring abuse at you. Try to sell anything and again you have 2 pages of crap where someone can find it cheaper or on my last sale had other people PM the potential buyer to tell him not to buy because it was cheaper here, when I mentioned to mods was told this was a loop so could do nothing

Just wondering how many long time user are getting si*k of this sh*t that goes on here?

Most of the decent mods are gone now so we are left with alot of what I can see if childish ones who run after who ever disagrees with them and wait till anything for an oppurtunity to ban them. Then bask in there own personal glory. We have constant threads in the feedback forum about this and nothing is done, like myself we get a message back saying it was in the mods forum. Who really gives a f**k about the mods forum? This is supposed to be a user friendly place not a mods friendly place.

Anyway will prob see 2 pages of "ahh your just after the mods" etc but really Im not, I have great time for alot of the mods and have had great discussion with them but my point is got to do with the overall site. Are you getting bored with it and the cr*p that goes on here daily???

youre boring.

now youre just trying to do it on another forum.

moved to feedback. perhaps the admins will take everything you say on this thread, and do something about it.

but its funny, for all of youre whinging, you never seem to come back with a solution.
    just a lot of whinging.

i suggest you just leave. you obviously dont enjoy the place, it seems masochistic to me that you would stay while being so unhappy.

or maybe you just enjoy getting some attention?
    who knows.
    personally, i dont care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Agreed with Ber tbh, I'll log off when it gets boring and I dont see that happening anytime soon. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

No offence fade, but you joined boards 6 months after the Soccer forum was closed because of an inordinate amount of abuse/fueds/flaming/general sh*tehawkery. Have you read back over any of the threads from then?

Here's the Feedback thread on the subject, all 16 pages of it

Have a search of the Soccer forum for the month of April 2004 for more.

The Soccer mods have a thankless task, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Because of the amount of s*it they have to trawl through every day, any application of common sense (say, deleting a post rather than banning a poster) earns them the abuse of previously banned members (why he's not getting banned wha wha wha). The mods have to be heavy handed because some people are incapable of using their common sense and view eveything in black & white.

Every time somebody calls RVN Horseface or Wayne Rooney Shrek there'll be a Utd fan who takes offence and responds in kind (and vice versa, its not confined to one club's supporters). Threads descend into insults and abuse. Insults and abuse got the forum closed before, and it can happen again.

There are plenty of places on the net where people can express themselves a little more forcefully. Try the footy forum on www.thumped.com , you can say pretty much whatever the hell you want over there.

Don't let my join date mislead you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Sangre wrote:
    People prefer to able to abuse people like in real life and prefered modding by mass abuse. Twats would get sick of abuse and leave. Plus it was a lot more fun that way.
    A lot of people left the site because of this distancing from the gaming community. I wasn't particulary happy with the changes, nor I am still but there is still plenty to keep me hanging around.

In fairness most people who would called themselves gamers have never really met someone who they could abuse in real life!! :)

I use another board quite alot and they have nowhere as much rules as boards.ie and people do seem to get along much better unless they know each personally! Anyone who gets in a tizzy because of an argument especially about something as banal as football really needs to consider not getting involved in the discussions at all.

I didn't realise that you couldn't slag off a particular player in the soccer thread, that is just insane and proves that mods aren't really up to the job that they volunteered for.

youre boring.

now youre just trying to do it on another forum.

moved to feedback. perhaps the admins will take everything you say on this thread, and do something about it.

but its funny, for all of youre whinging, you never seem to come back with a solution.
    just a lot of whinging.

i suggest you just leave. you obviously dont enjoy the place, it seems masochistic to me that you would stay while being so unhappy.

or maybe you just enjoy getting some attention?
    who knows.
    personally, i dont care.

And here is the problem I have with a mod, if a normal user posted this they would be banned!!!

Also its not a feedback or a whinge its a question so move it back!!

Edit: Sorry are we not allowed to ask questions on boards anymore?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Big Nelly wrote:
    And here is the problem I have with a mod, if a normal user posted this they would be banned!!!

In response to a thread like this on the Feedback forum, I certainly wouldn't ban anyone for that.
    Also its not a feedback or a whinge its a question so move it back!!

Well, I don't know what forum you originally started this on so I can't assess the relevance, but you buried that question in a post surrounded by an awful lot of feedback / whinging (come on now, it has to be at least one or the other).
    Edit: Sorry are we not allowed to ask questions on boards anymore?

Who stopped you? It just got moved, not deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Note to all those sick of boards.ie - please stay away and stop slowing down the site for others :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Lux23 wrote:
    In fairness most people who would called themselves gamers have never really met someone who they could abuse in real life!! :)

I use another board quite alot and they have nowhere as much rules as boards.ie and people do seem to get along much better unless they know each personally! Anyone who gets in a tizzy because of an argument especially about something as banal as football really needs to consider not getting involved in the discussions at all.

I didn't realise that you couldn't slag off a particular player in the soccer thread, that is just insane and proves that mods aren't really up to the job that they volunteered for.

lol..you really don't know diddly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement