Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you getting sick of boards yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Nah, boards is great tbh. Sure, AH is a bit more... deranged these days but there's still fun to be had on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

where is that moany fúcker that started this thread anyway?

has he nothing further to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Its alright Eamo, we've got a replacement for him.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51657943&postcount=237

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Thanks, I needed to see that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Its alright Eamo, we've got a replacement for him.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51657943&postcount=237
    Seems like a smart animal to me, look how (s)he is keeping the back feet dry ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I havent been in trouble for anything yet thankfully, but I definitely see your point. Just on an objective level as someone who hasnt had a run-in with one of these mods or been banned, I find some moderators perceived authority very irritating. They often disrupt the flow of a thread instead of maintaining the inetgrity or allowing a valid question like the op's. Whitwashman this is you. I suppose what Im trying to say is that over-moderating is happening more and more.

Of course mods are important in forums and are there for a reason... without them boards.ie would be nonexistent, their role is necessary - but their presence should be like a referee, in the sidelines, and not the main feature of a forum and not always nagging and banning as I see it. The OP asked a valid question, it's his opinion and this is what he gets:

ok, we have different terminology.
    unfortunately for you, my terminology wins and i have moved it from AH to feedback.

*waah* *waah*

boards.ie doesnt fulfill my needs and that wwman is picking on me (although i refuse to show any proof)

*waah* *waah*

you know, after a while, people like you are just background static.

if not, better get off and start walking back to where ever you want to go.

...i may even be as apologetic as to buy you a new rattle.

Again I dont mean to cause anyone offence but that actually irritated me more than the OPs question.

My answer is no, I dont find boards.ie boring at all yet. But I do find some moderating practices unfortunate. WWM I also think that for the above comments and for calling the op a 'moany fúcker' giving how polite his question was, any regular user would have gotten a ban. Just my 2c.

InFront wrote:
    I find some moderators perceived authority very irritating. They often disrupt the flow of a thread instead of maintaining the inetgrity or allowing a valid question like the op's. Whitwashman this is you. I suppose what Im trying to say is that over-moderating is happening more and more.

actually, i think you will find that i undermod, and i dont do anything to a thread unless absolutely neccessary.
    i am a great believer that people have the right to say things, and i believe that people have the right to an opinion, and i believe that the best form of modding is the kind that goes unnoticed.

so if you want to bring up where i disrupt the flow of a thread, i'll be happy to give you my input.

if however you are talking about AH, because that is where i would be seen most, specifically because i move a lot of posts about and its where i get the most amount of reported posts, then i accept i am quite visible there. but im not sure i disrupt the flow of a thread there.

again, id be eager to see where you feel ive done that.
    InFront wrote:
    Of course mods are important in forums and are there for a reason... without them boards.ie would be nonexistent, their role is necessary - but their presence should be like a referee, in the sidelines, and not the main feature of a forum and not always nagging and banning as I see it. .

well, thats your perspective, but you dont see it from all sides unfortunately. i do.

referees give fouls when they have to. and like referees, we are not all perfect.
    InFront wrote:
    The OP asked a valid question, it's his opinion and this is what he gets:.

and im betting you have no idea of the history between myself and the OP.

i actually dont think the OP gives much valid input into these forums. thats my opinion. most of what i see is whinging and whining.

and thats ok.

but not only is it whinging and whining, but its not constructive, and when asked for examples of these little tantrums and outbursts, its not forthcoming.

im all for feedback, but im also all for solutions. i hate people who just moan for the sake of it. its what the OP does.

if you have a critisism, then please do try and offer a sensible solution other than 'ban wwman coz i dont like him'.

this thread is a common theme among peopel who have been here for a number of years.
    when they start, its great, its shiney its new.

after a while, you become a memeber, learn what forums you like, and have places you post, form bonds with other posters.

suddenly you wake up one day and you find there are 1500 other forums, you find that the people who uised to post dont do so anymore, and you find that whatever was asked by some newbie was posted 3 months ago.

and it all becomes a bit irritating. i think thats where the OP is right now. he is in a sort of 'boards is crap now coz its not what it used to be' area.

and thats ok.

except that he constantly bloody whinges. and i do believe im allowed to give my opinion on it, the same as you have, and you have criticised me about it. which is strange, coz i have no idea who you are, but its ok for you to have an opinion about me, but for me to be able to say something about someone else is a no-no.

there has to be give and take in this relationship. i dont think you respect me anymore :(

InFront wrote:
    Again I dont mean to cause anyone offence but that actually irritated me more than the OPs question. .

none taken. if you get offended easily, no offence but youre better off not here.

did the OPs question irritate you?
    why?
    InFront wrote:
    My answer is no, I dont find boards.ie boring at all yet. .

well good for you
    InFront wrote:
    . But I do find some moderating practices unfortunate.

such as?
    and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

so if you want to bring up where i disrupt the flow of a thread, i'll be happy to give you my input.

..again, id be eager to see where you feel ive done that.

:confused: I presumedit was obvious that I was talking about your input into this particular thread. Theres such things as having a disagreement and giving your opinion and then theres arrogance. Im not saying that you're being arrogant I just think that it could be pervceived to be so by someone passing through. Also you mention AH and I would agree that this is surely one of the most demanding forums to moderate.
    none taken. if you get offended easily, no offence but youre better off not here.

did the OPs question irritate you?
    why?

Firstly Im not offended, and I dont get offended very easily. I dont think that I have demonstrated otherwise on this forum and I think that my posting history shows that in general. Secondly the op's post didnt irritate me. I was simply pointing out that although I havent come to the same conclusion as him, I actually found your post (the one with the baby noises) more irritating than the one it was admonishing.

I dont really want to get into an argument about it. Ive offered my opinion, youre more than welcome to criticise it but Im not here looking for a debate. Especially since we both seem to be in agreement that boards.ie isnt boring, so lets keep it that way.:)

InFront wrote:
    :confused: I presumedit was obvious that I was talking about your input into this particular thread.

this is feedback.

i dont mod it.

anything i do here, i do as a user, just like you. someone gives their feedback, and i give my feedback on that. im unsure how i disrupt the flow of a thread as a moderator on this forum, and im unsure who i disrupt the flow of a 'debate' ona topic such as this.

[QUOTE=InFront
    Firstly Im not offended, and I dont get offended very easily. I dont think that I have demonstrated otherwise on this forum and I think that my posting history shows that in general.)[/QUOTE]

it was a general thing, not aimed at you specifically :)
    InFront wrote:
    : Secondly the op's post didnt irritate me.

sorry, i took you up wrong.

you said my post iritated you more than the OP's, intimating that you were irritated by the initial post.
    InFront wrote:
    :. I was simply pointing out that although I havent come to the same conclusion as him, I actually found your post (the one with the baby noises) more irritating than the one it was admonishing.

good. it was meant to be.

im glad i got my frustration through. maybe now you know how i feel when people come on here and whinge and complain and dont offer anything back to the community.

some people come here to be entertained, and when they are no longer entertained, they complain that its not as good as it used to be.

watch this forum. you will get it all the time in one guise or another.
    InFront wrote:
    :I dont really want to get into an argument about it.

who's arguing?

you made some statements, i tried to address them and asked some things back.
    many people take that as an argument and then get stroppy becuase they dont like the way i do that. personally i dont think im being arogant or showy or anything else. i ask becuase i want to know.
    :)
    InFront wrote:
    : Ive offered my opinion, youre more than welcome to criticise it but Im not here looking for a debate.

dont worry, i have nothing against people who critise, i think the world is abetter place with critisism, albeit it constructive.

you may find a lot of my posts like the waah waah waah one above, but im quite sure at some point in this thread, and every other thread that i do try and help people, i do try and make an effort to answer questions, and i do take the time to understand people.

however, if people just keep making the same point over and over again without taking things on board, i'll debase it beyond the point or argument, becuase at that point, ive learned that there is little to be gained in constant petty point scoring pedantics which these things generally decend into.

my interest in this thread left when the OP decided to make some points about me but not back it up.

i'll leave it up to you to make your own opinion up about it.

as a user, i can be an awful twat at times, but most of the time i do try and make a point. and yes, i can be terribly annoying. what i dont like is people making accusations about me as a moderator, becuase, i am a good mod. and im probably one fo the least strict mods on any of the popular forums, regardless fo what people say.
    and i do pretty much what you have suggested mods should be like. i agree 100% that mods should have as little intereaction as possible.

however, that doesnt mean that we cant post in our own forums as posters.
    sometimes, we are allowed to give our opinions too you know!
    maybe we should have alittle caveat that says 'the following is a personal opinion and is not connected with boards.ie or the modderating community as a whole' :)
    InFront wrote:
    :. Especially since we both seem to be in agreement that boards.ie isnt boring, so lets keep it that way.:)

far from it, although, i get less and less time these days.

but you know, once you figure out that there are so many people out there, and reletivley speaking, the complaints are few, it means that we are pleasing 99.99% of the people 99.99% of the time.

and i think thats a good thing.

dont you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Big Nelly wrote:
    As you can see I am a long member of boards, back when I was a young fellow I was sent to boards by a mate to buy a mobile phone, for 3 years I have advertised boards and have made sure alot of my mates and brother(lemlin) have joined up and used for all sort of subject, from GAA to cant say on here but "personal problems". All have been very impressed with boards till the last few months, now I am not saying it from my own view but have been talking to a few lads in last week and they couldnt be bothered.

Probably the start of me getting bored with boards was on the soccer forum, everyone who posts on there will know me, anyway just have got sick of the atitude over there and this has been seen by 2 banning's in the last month(if you research the banning are just a mod trying to get back at me for disagreeing with him), on the first one I challenged it in the feedback and ended up with the thread been closed with no problem response but I couldnt really care anymore.

In the end what is my point you are probably asking? well years ago when I joined boards was a group of people who where out to help each other, we all sold/bought from each other in knowledge that nobody would screw someone over. We discussed topics in the knowledge that everyone would take each other point and discuss it and not just give a pile of abuse. That is all gone, we now have constant con men on the sales forum, sometimes involving the Garda to sort out. You make a comment which someone disagree's with and you have 2 pages of peope roaring abuse at you. Try to sell anything and again you have 2 pages of crap where someone can find it cheaper or on my last sale had other people PM the potential buyer to tell him not to buy because it was cheaper here, when I mentioned to mods was told this was a loop so could do nothing

Just wondering how many long time user are getting si*k of this sh*t that goes on here?

Most of the decent mods are gone now so we are left with alot of what I can see if childish ones who run after who ever disagrees with them and wait till anything for an oppurtunity to ban them. Then bask in there own personal glory. We have constant threads in the feedback forum about this and nothing is done, like myself we get a message back saying it was in the mods forum. Who really gives a f**k about the mods forum? This is supposed to be a user friendly place not a mods friendly place.

Anyway will prob see 2 pages of "ahh your just after the mods" etc but really Im not, I have great time for alot of the mods and have had great discussion with them but my point is got to do with the overall site. Are you getting bored with it and the cr*p that goes on here daily???

everything you've said is spot on mate esp about the soccer forum i called Shamrock Rovers scum and i got banned for it :rolleyes: by some jumped up geek who moderates that forum (i forget who it was) and thinks he's something he's not..anyway yeah this whole forum isnt what it used to be with certain people who are moderators and think they are something i mean i am the admin of 2 popular websites and i dont carry on like some of these ars*holes do :confused:

• Advertisement

jonny68 wrote:
    i called Shamrock Rovers scum

Any particular reason for believing they were scum or was it just some mantra you learned off?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

jonny68 wrote:
    everything you've said is spot on mate esp about the soccer forum i called Shamrock Rovers scum and i got banned for it :rolleyes: by some jumped up geek who moderates that forum (i forget who it was) and thinks he's something he's not..anyway yeah this whole forum isnt what it used to be with certain people who are moderators and think they are something i mean i am the admin of 2 popular websites and i dont carry on like some of these ars*holes do :confused:

I agree. I think the mods on the site are a disgrace. Every single last one of them. It's just powermongering in it's most primal and degrading form. Why just the other week I was banned from a forum because I merely declared war against it. What would Pearce think of a modern Irish forum site banning the declaration of war? He'd be disgusted, as I am.

Freedom of speech is much more important than anything. Even food. Without basic civil liberties we'd be little more than monkeys throwing poo at each other and having hot monkey sex whereever we pleased.

America, the birthplace of the freedom of speech, enshrined in it's shining light - The Constitution has inspired many young idealistic naive people into believing that we all have the right to say whatever we like, whenever we liked to whomever we please. And long live that tradition.

And America also gave us the internet. A place where we can truly sit behind a screen and use those freedoms as they were meant to be used - hiding behind a screen and the clever name we have thought up.

Freedom of speech gives us the right to the right to insult people, the right to disrupt conversation with petty tit-for-tat flamewars in the midst of a rational discussion and basically the right to be a moron.

God bless The Constitution of The United States of America. It means diddly squat here in the backward aul Republic of Ireland but here's hoping!!!!1

jonny68 wrote:

we're obviously all shamrock rovers fans.
    right?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

right?

I knew it was only a matter of time before people saw the light. Now for the WORLD!!!!!!

Stark wrote:
    Any particular reason for believing they were scum or was it just some mantra you learned off?

Because i support Bohs their hated rivals,what do you want me to say "ohh i dislike them a lot" :rolleyes: this is Football not cricket.

right?

No need for sarcasm,the simple facts are that certain moderators on boards think because they have this "privlege" they can do what they want,and are on some power buzz which i find incredibly sad,i was also banned from AH for responding to some thread that it stated you were not supposed to,i had no idea of this until i actually got banned,it was only when i looked back i seen this, so banned over something like that is the work of people on a power buzz, there are some right hitlers on this forum as moderators who would want to snap out of it and get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

No it wasn't. You just couldn't read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Just because you support one team doesn't mean the others are scum. They just aren't your favourites. I don't understand why certain football supporters don't understand that distinction. It shows an unbelievable lack of maturity.

If I were a mod of the soccor forum, I'd have banned you for that comment too.

jonny68 wrote:
    I support bohs

Ah, you must be a wanker then. That is the correct term for a Bohs supporter right? I'm not totally familiar with football terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

vicky_pollard.jpg

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote:
    vicky_pollard.jpg

that your bird mate :D

Faith wrote:
    Just because you support one team doesn't mean the others are scum. They just aren't your favourites. I don't understand why certain football supporters don't understand that distinction. It shows an unbelievable lack of maturity.

If I were a mod of the soccor forum, I'd have banned you for that comment too.

cop onto yourself FFS i bet your one of these who would go to a football match and be appalled to hear bad language,get real FFS :rolleyes:

Stark wrote:
    Ah, you must be a wanker then. That is the correct term for a Bohs supporter right? I'm not totally familiar with football terminology.

IMG024A.jpg :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

jonny68 wrote:
    Because i support Bohs their hated rivals,what do you want me to say "ohh i dislike them a lot" :rolleyes: this is Football not cricket.

That's a particularly sad statement. I feel sorry for you

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

jonny68 wrote:
    there are some right hitlers on this forum as moderators who would want to snap out of it and get a life.

hitlereyes2fa.gif

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

jonny68 wrote:
    So let me see if I understand this correctly; because you are discussing soccer you can't have reasonable, coherant discussion? Instead you just abuse supporters of other teams, not for any particular reason but just because they don't support the same team as you?

Yes, I see, that makes perfect sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have always been wary of users with numbers after their names. :p Here ya go jonny68. I made this card just for you.

themartyr.jpg

jonny68 wrote:
    everything you've said is spot on mate esp about the soccer forum i called Shamrock Rovers scum and i got banned for it :rolleyes: by some jumped up geek who moderates that forum (i forget who it was) and thinks he's something he's not

If you bothered to read the charter you'd know use of the term scum is prohibited. Is it that hard to understand? Do you struggle with your command of the English language?

Would you walk up to a group of Rovers fans and call them scum to their face?

Why is it so hard for people to accept that for the Soccer forum to remain open, certain standards have to be adhered to? Abuse got it closed in April 2004, without the current moderation of the forum it will be closed again.

Finally, is it that hard to talk about football without abusing somebody? I've a season ticket at Spurs, I've no problem with the abusive songs and bad language in its place, but the Soccer Forum on boards ain't the place for it. Grow up you child.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

therecklessone for mod of Feedback:)

• Advertisement

RuggieBear wrote:
    therecklessone for mod of Feedback:)

Seconded. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement