Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aarhem

• 05-07-2006 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Was at the Cork City Sports over the weekend. First time I've been to an international track meet and I was pretty impressed. Especially impressed with some of the Irish athletes.

I'd no idea that Riocht Athletics Club had a similar (although lower key) event on Monday at Castleisland but read about it yesterday in the Irish Examiner and it seemed like a good meet also, with many of the Cork City Sports participants taking part.

One thing many of the athletes mentioned in the Examiner was that they'd running again in Aarhem on Wednesday. Does anybody know where Aarhem is, what the meet is like, etc? Sounds overseas so I wont be going but I'd be interested to see how some of the younger Irish athletes get on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Don't forget Dangan, Galway on Saturday too.

Athenry AC are hosting a track meet, admittedly on a smaller scale than Cork.
    There will be top class fields in the Mens miles and 5000m and Womens 3000m.

More details in another thread on this forum, or on www.athenryac.com

Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Clum wrote:
    Does anybody know where Aarhem is, what the meet is like, etc? Sounds overseas so I wont be going but I'd be interested to see how some of the younger Irish athletes get on.

Not sure where Aarhem is, sounds like that place in Holland but there are Irish athletes entered in Aarhus tomorrow night, Fagan & Christie in the 5000.

http://www.aarhus1900.dk/motionslob/startliste-a.asp?sort=heat&ID=163&event=&nameorder=navn

This is a good site for updated results

http://www.tilastopaja.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Tingle wrote:
    Not sure where Aarhem is, sounds like that place in Holland but there are Irish athletes entered in Aarhus tomorrow night, Fagan & Christie in the 5000.

Aarhus sounds right. I think it was Fagan who the paper quoted. I guess somebody along the lines got the name wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Martin Fagan sharpened up on his speed with a new personal best over 1500 metres in Aarhus, Denmark on Thursday night finishing 4th in the 1500 metres in 3.41.89. In 6th place was Mark Christie with a season’s best of 3.42.06. Mark is gradually getting closer to that 3.41.00 European standard.

In Lucerne Michelle Carey continued her superb season winning at 400 metres hurdles with a fast 56.62. In a quality 3000 metres Mary Cullen finished 9th in 9.05.16 with Roisin McGettigan running 9.10.87 in 13th place. Deirdre Ryan finished 3rd in the high jump clearing 1.83 metres.Biggest breakthrough came from Fionnuala Britton running 4.18.92 for 1500 metres some ten seconds faster than her previous best.

In Salamanca on Wednesday night David Gillick finished 6th in the 400 metres in 46.29

Advertisement