Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fianna fail & mismanagement of economy

Options
  • 05-07-2006 10:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

before taking into account mis-spending / management of public projects , no i'm not trolling :D

i wanna hear peoples opinions on hearing fianna fail somewhat gloat about nearlly €1 billion extra in the coffers from tax this year does it not strike anyone that they are actually so bad at managing the economy that they're estimates are out by over €1 billion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

If you're going to be out in your estimates, it's better be out this way than having less money than you expected. Predicting how the economy will develop isn't an exact science, and I'm sure conservative estimates are chosen as the ones to budget off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

true , but a conservative estimate IMO should be out by about 100-300 million but definitely not out by €1 billion that to me smells of mismanagement and while fair enough it's hard to predict the free market the figure that they are out by is quite simply dumbfounding

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd be more interested in where they plan to spend it tbh. More tax breaks for the construction industry? Fanning the bubble's flames further? The healthcare money-pit?

Or might they actually be sensible and invest that billion into our education system?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

:rolleyes: This is just an indication of how conservative FF have been in the management of the economy. This is actually a very good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

Estimates are prepared by the Department of Finance. Both the Department themselves, and the Minister in charge, gain from having conservative estimates as it helps to keep expectations in check.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote:
    I'd be more interested in where they plan to spend it tbh. More tax breaks for the construction industry? Fanning the bubble's flames further? The healthcare money-pit?

Or might they actually be sensible and invest that billion into our education system?

Pay off last of debts or SSIAs maybe?

Education sector could probably do with some (well planned, sensible) investment too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Bards

That €1Bn actually belongs to the people. I.E We over paid tax by €1Bn. Remember the Govt does not generate Wealth it spends the wealth that was created by every worker/business in this country.

More than likely it will go towards the next round of benchmarking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭banaman

I think its a deliberate ploy. After all if they were to report that their estimates were wrong and in deficit they'd be slagged as incompetent so if they decide to be ultra cautious(cynical) in their estimates they get a pat on the back. Its like the manager of a sporting team saying " sure we've no chance, we'll be happy with a draw".
    The other point is what are they going to do with the money? For exmple there is a longstanding acceptance of the need for education and a committment to provide a quality service and yet when ALL education people state that smaller class sizes would really make a difference Mary Harney says "it ain't gonna happen". Hypocrisy. the money will go for short term political gain, TD's wages and expenses and breaks for their mates, while the rest of the country becomes more unequal and divided.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well I heard on the radio this morning that Cowen wanted to borrow €3 billion to balance the books this year. So that would be a place to start.

But he's only going to borrow that to throw everything at those gullible enough to be bribed to vote for FF / PDs. If we're not careful it could be 1977 all over again :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

miju wrote:
    before taking into account mis-spending / management of public projects , no i'm not trolling :D

i wanna hear peoples opinions on hearing fianna fail somewhat gloat about nearlly €1 billion extra in the coffers from tax this year does it not strike anyone that they are actually so bad at managing the economy that they're estimates are out by over €1 billion

It ISNT a FF extimate is it? Surely the Deptartment of finance or the Central bank put out such figures?

• Advertisement

miju wrote:
    true , but a conservative estimate IMO should be out by about 100-300 million but definitely not out by €1 billion that to me smells of mismanagement and while fair enough it's hard to predict the free market the figure that they are out by is quite simply dumbfounding

You CANT have it both ways. You cant claim FF are responsible for putting out an estimate do to their job creation policy and also that they are not responsible for the job creation.

Either they are responsible for the jobs and the policy created so many jobs that tax revenue was up or they are not responsible for creating the exonomic conditions which resulted in the increased tax take. If they are not responsible for the policy then they are not responsible for the increased tax take.

So which is it? did FF create all those jobs or alternayively are then not responsible for the estimate being low.

banaman wrote:
    I think its a deliberate ploy. After all if they were to report that their estimates were wrong and in deficit they'd be slagged as incompetent so if they decide to be ultra cautious(cynical) in their estimates they get a pat on the back. Its like the manager of a sporting team saying " sure we've no chance, we'll be happy with a draw".
    The other point is what are they going to do with the money? For exmple there is a longstanding acceptance of the need for education and a committment to provide a quality service and yet when ALL education people state that smaller class sizes would really make a difference Mary Harney says "it ain't gonna happen". Hypocrisy. the money will go for short term political gain, TD's wages and expenses and breaks for their mates, while the rest of the country becomes more unequal and divided.

Please explain to me haow one can spend E1000,000,000 on expenses. AFAIK the Dail costs about 17 million a year - thats over fifty years spending or a fifty times increase o spend such a surplus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

ISAW wrote:
    You CANT have it both ways. You cant claim FF are responsible for putting out an estimate do to their job creation policy and also that they are not responsible for the job creation.

Either they are responsible for the jobs and the policy created so many jobs that tax revenue was up or they are not responsible for creating the exonomic conditions which resulted in the increased tax take. If they are not responsible for the policy then they are not responsible for the increased tax take.

So which is it? did FF create all those jobs or alternayively are then not responsible for the estimate being low.

no sorry i dont buy the line of fianna fail created all the jobs in this country despite what they like to claim and if they're responsible for policy then they are ovbivously responsible for the extra cash but also when they were coming up with this policy you'd think that maybe that would have been able to get they're estimates a bit more accurate

it's not the first time either they've been out in their estimates by quite a large amount

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

banaman wrote:
    The other point is what are they going to do with the money? For exmple there is a longstanding acceptance of the need for education and a committment to provide a quality service and yet when ALL education people state that smaller class sizes would really make a difference Mary Harney says "it ain't gonna happen".

Can you show evidence of this? I believe you have confused it with when she said that larger wage increases for nurses "ain't gonna happen". I think the PDs have firmly committed themselves to smaller class sizes.

miju wrote:
    does it not strike anyone that they are actually so bad at managing the economy that they're estimates are out by over €1 billion

Clearly they underestimated how good they would be. Remember when we used to talk about national debts of billions and shortfalls in budgets? To think people believe FG/Labour is a viable alternative :confused:

Isn't life under FF GREAT...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Clearly they underestimated how good they would be. Remember when we used to talk about national debts of billions and shortfalls in budgets? To think people believe FG/Labour is a viable alternative :confused:

Isn't life under FF GREAT...

Will you be saying that when the windfall taxes from property fall significantly?

Income tax is less than last year, most of surplus in taxes is from buying and selling of property, i'd wish they'd manage the rest of the economy properly than relying on property to balance the books.

gurramok wrote:
    Will you be saying that when the windfall taxes from property fall significantly?

The guy who bought Jurys in Ballsbridge back a few months ago doesn't think the sky will fall in.

Is there something you know that he, with his €400 million investment, doesn't? Share it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its not if the property tax returns falls, its when.

So you think the property windfall will continue indefinitely, that is a very narrow viewpoint of economics.

The property boom will end or lets all hope level off sometime and these big tax surpluses will defintely end at some point in the future, how will the govt cope to balance the books?
    The stats released about tax surplus do not point to where the extra money will come from as the vital areas of income tax(which is less) and vat returns which will fall as its the 4th straight month of falling consumer confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Is there something you know that he, with his €400 million investment, doesn't? Share it...
    Alternatively, is there something that Mr Dunne, the taoiseach's good friend knows about the possibility of getting planning permission for 32 storey high apartment blocks (apparently that's the height needed to make his project financially viable) that we don't??

Can you show evidence of this? I believe you have confused it with when she said that larger wage increases for nurses "ain't gonna happen". I think the PDs have firmly committed themselves to smaller class sizes.
    They can committ all they want, the target was to have all class sizes reduced by 2005, unfortunately the number of children in classes with 30 or more children has increased in the interim - why? There is no excuse for that, they've had 10 years to sort that, it's relatively easy, but they haven't - why??
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2006/0615/1105114227HM1CLASSES.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Glenbhoy wrote:
    They can committ all they want, the target was to have all class sizes reduced by 2005, unfortunately the number of children in classes with 30 or more children has increased in the interim - why? There is no excuse for that, they've had 10 years to sort that, it's relatively easy, but they haven't - why??
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2006/0615/1105114227HM1CLASSES.html
    This is wildly off topic but didn't they change their mind and decided instead to concentrate the new teachers in schools for disabled or disadvantaged children? That's a policy I'm in favour of.

This is wildly off topic but didn't they change their mind and decided instead to concentrate the new teachers in schools for disabled or disadvantaged children? That's a policy I'm in favour of.
    I know that schools in disadvantaged areas do indeed have class sizes of 24 or under, that however is not an achievement, that is a partial achievement of their initial goal, one which is apparently still being pursued. In fairness to the department, it is at least a good example of prioritisation, which is something we see too little of from government departments.

miju wrote:
    no sorry i dont buy the line of fianna fail created all the jobs in this country despite what they like to claim and if they're responsible for policy then they are ovbivously responsible for the extra cash but also when they were coming up with this policy you'd think that maybe that would have been able to get they're estimates a bit more accurate

it's not the first time either they've been out in their estimates by quite a large amount

As i explained the estimates are made by the Department of Finance and NOT Fianna Fæil! But you again are trying to have it both ways. You are stating FF are not responsible for achieving job targets that others are the ones who drove this policy. At the same time you are saying that FF ARE responsible for underestamating the tax take based on the tax taken from the underestamated job creation.

How can they be responsible for underestamating the target for tax taken on jobs and at the same time NOT be responsible for underestamitaing the Target of those jobs???
    the "extra cash" as you call it is actually extra tax based on extra jobs extra busibness and extra squeesing of tax cheats. so if they got the extra tax target wrong it is because the extra regulation extra business done and extra jobs were underestamated. But it seems you cant admit that by FF being wrong in their tax take target it means they overachieved in their target of stopping fraud, creating jobs and stimulating business.

You clearly show a bias in you opinion.

And note I didnt say FF are responsible for anything! clearly the government are only one part of social partnership and there are TWO parties in government! But you cant claim when A causes B that ONLY B is FF's responsibility but the cause of B i.e. an overachievement in A is NOT FF's responsibility! It is a contradiction to make such a claim.

But in any case, in spite of contradicting yourself, where did FF actually make these claims? You said that FF voerestimated the tax take. where did they do that? I thought the civil service are responsible for that are they not?

Bards wrote:
    That €1Bn actually belongs to the people. I.E We over paid tax by €1Bn. Remember the Govt does not generate Wealth it spends the wealth that was created by every worker/business in this country.

More than likely it will go towards the next round of benchmarking

The people havent OVERPAID tax! the tax was at the cortrect rate. If not it would have to be given back. the increased number of workers and business coupled with the drop in tax shelters and cheats meant that the tax take was more than expected. and the money does belong to the State. And the State will spend it. I also hope not on making fat civil servants even fatter.

Glenbhoy wrote:
    Alternatively, is there something that Mr Dunne, the taoiseach's good friend knows about the possibility of getting planning permission for 32 storey high apartment blocks (apparently that's the height needed to make his project financially viable) that we don't??

Well, maybe there's some huge fraud going on with Bertie that only you know about.

Or maybe he employs engineers and architects who have a fair idea whether you'll get planning for a dog kennel or a skyscraper in a certain area. After all, they are paid millions to know this stuff.

Now what do you think it is? You still plumping for the dark conspiracy going all the way to the leader of FF and the country, or the realistic rational explanation?

Now what do you think it is? You still plumping for the dark conspiracy going all the way to the leader of FF and the country, or the realistic rational explanation?
    So who decides on planning issues anyway? Is it the architects, planning consultants and the planners in collaboration, or may it be totally irrelevant what these professionals say, since it may just come down to a few local councillors anyway - presumably they vote with their consciences now and don't operate a whip system as previously.

Glenbhoy wrote:
    So who decides on planning issues anyway?

Usually, planning officials in County Councils. They are, of course, not elected. Nor are they all friends of Bertie Ahern.

But if you are specifically saying that Bertie Ahern has a hand in this planning, why don't you do so instead of making vague and completely unsubstantiated allegations that are plucked out of thin air?

But if you are specifically saying that Bertie Ahern has a hand in this planning, why don't you do so instead of making vague and completely unsubstantiated allegations that are plucked out of thin air?
    Conor, at no point did anyone make any allegations, perhaps if you went back and read my previous comments you would see that. In fact, this statement contradicts itself, on the one hand, you tell me to make specific allegations, on the other, you say, i've already made such!
    So who decides on planning issues anyway?

Usually, planning officials in County Councils.
    What? Perhaps enquiring as to the workings of local government and local government powers would be of some use to you.

Glenbhoy wrote:
    Conor, at no point did anyone make any allegations, perhaps if you went back and read my previous comments you would see that. In fact, this statement contradicts itself, on the one hand, you tell me to make specific allegations, on the other, you say, i've already made such!

What? Perhaps enquiring as to the workings of local government and local government powers would be of some use to you.

Here is what you stated:
    ... is there something that Mr Dunne, the taoiseach's good friend knows about the possibility of getting planning permission for 32 storey high apartment blocks (apparently that's the height needed to make his project financially viable) that we don't??

Now perhaps you will explain what that means? what do you mean by your suggestion that Dunne somehow knows that he will get planning permission for a 32 story building. what is the significance of stating that we don't know something about the process that Dunne does know? And what is the significance of stating he is a personal friend of the Taoiseach?

IWe mat well hear the thud as you climb down from your horse on the high ground and now assert that you were not claiming anything about corruption.

• Advertisement

what do you mean by your suggestion that Dunne somehow knows that he will get planning permission for a 32 story building.
    That was not suggested by me at all - however the size of his investment would indicate that he's either quietly confident or an idiot (his record thus far would indicate he's not).
    what is the significance of stating that we don't know something about the process that Dunne does know?
    That was a retort to Conor's earlier comment to gurramok:
    It's was an attempt at humour, obviously not found amusing by many of you.
    And what is the significance of stating he is a personal friend of the Taoiseach?
    A good tabloid journo would never leave that out!!
    IWe mat well hear the thud as you climb down from your horse on the high ground and now assert that you were not claiming anything about corruption.
    Honestly lads, read my posts - where did i allege or claim anything about corruption - if that's what you took from it that's your perogative, but there is no allegation. Sure we all know that our leader is a man of the people, who does'nt like the fancy things in life. A pint of bass and seeing the Dubs take an All Ireland and Man Utd win the league are all he wants from life (lack of both in recent years may explain his recent bout of irritableness with poor Deputy Higgins et.al.).

Advertisement